• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,793 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, jmg3637 said:

I got in the shipment from Blissard the other day.  Thrilled to be adding some more CGC books to my small group as well as several early Roy Rogers.  I think that that will bring me to 11 total CGC Four Color

while I go over those  Here are some of the mid-run issues  from my trade with Terry

fc 898 Silvertip.jpg

fc 898 bc.jpg

fc 640 Western Marshall.jpg

fc 640 bc.jpg

Really like these painted covers.  Much prefer them to the photo covers that were used on the Western issues based on movies or TV shows.

There were many beautiful painted covers over the years,  but I always connect with a picture to evoke memories of my childhood.

After all who does not love Wally and the Beaver  or Spin and Marty

All of these were courtesy of Mycomicshop

FC 999 Leave it to Beaver.jpg

FC 956 Ricky Nelson.jpg

FC 1026 Spin and Marty.jpg

fc 1249 Danny Thomas.jpg

Just pulled the trigger on another batch from mycomicshop.com  

They are a great shopping experience 

Build a want list

Get notified daily of items on your want list

Build a shopping cart

Move items back and forth between a save for later cart  and an actual cart 

Frequent  realistic 5-10% discount sales

Orders pulled within hours and  reviewed and sent by the next day,  with email notifications  at each step

Looking forward to seeing  this group which includes an FC48.  While this is no FF48  it is a key book

On 4/11/2018 at 2:00 AM, jmg3637 said:

A few more from Terry.  Working my way down to the earliest issues

fc 396 Texas Rangers.jpg

fc 396 bc.jpg

I don't recall ever seeing the Tales of the Texas Rangers TV show, even in reruns, but Joel McCrea had quite a career in the movies, though I think he is mostly forgotten today.  He starred in several Preston Sturges films, including Sullivan's Travels and The Palm Beach story, both favorites of mine.

I had never heard of Joel McCrea previously

Now Gordon MacCrea on the other hand I know of well,  And to bring it back to comics  I certainly knew of Gordon's beautiful  daughter  Meredith  who was on Petticoat Junction ( and in the comics of the same name)

Anyway,  Here is the biggest book I got from Terry from his Yorba Linda Show

Looking forward to the completion of a minor home project  so i can have access to one of my Comic Closets which houses among other things my supplies

fc 062 DD frozen Gold.jpg

1 hour ago, jmg3637 said:

I had never heard of Joel McCrea previously

Now Gordon MacCrea on the other hand I know of well,  And to bring it back to comics  I certainly knew of Gordon's beautiful  daughter  Meredith  who was on Petticoat Junction ( and in the comics of the same name)

Anyway,  Here is the biggest book I got from Terry from his Yorba Linda Show

Looking forward to the completion of a minor home project  so i can have access to one of my Comic Closets which houses among other things my supplies

fc 062 DD frozen Gold.jpg

First early Duck book I ever bought.  Probably in the early 1970s.  Has brittle pages, a fact not disclosed by the seller.  Luckily it was cheap. 

Here are the earliest books I got from Terry.  I have really been trying to include books from the first 100 when possible,  and am now up to 70 from that range.  Would love to pick up  First Series books, but so very hard to find those 

fc 015 Felix the Cat.jpg

fc 023 Raggedy Ann & Andy.jpg

On 4/23/2018 at 2:02 AM, jmg3637 said:

Here are the earliest books I got from Terry.  I have really been trying to include books from the first 100 when possible,  and am now up to 70 from that range.  Would love to pick up  First Series books, but so very hard to find those 

fc 015 Felix the Cat.jpg

fc 023 Raggedy Ann & Andy.jpg

70 of the first 100 is pretty darn impressive.

I was going to bid on the FCs in the CC auction a couple of nights ago, but was asleep at the switch and missed them.  Congrats to the winners because, if the grades are accurate (often an issue with them), the prices seemed very reasonable. 

2 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I only have one first series Four Color; but it is a fun one and a flea market pickup for a quarter or so when I was a kid.

I have a reprint of that - lovely artwork in the Reluctant Dragon story!

On 4/25/2018 at 4:12 PM, jmg3637 said:

Have another batch from Blissard

Sure looks like a lotta horsing around in this group

fc 283 ZG King of the Rotal Mounted.jpg

"We sterilize our books". What? lol

In the "no germs here" sense or "you'll never reproduce" threat? How was this achieved? Gamma radiation?

I have never seen a store stamp quite like that. I've always had a soft spot for RCMP yarns though - especially Sergeant Preston and  his wonder dog Yukon King. Nice book - if a little sterile.

23 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I only have one first series Four Color; but it is a fun one and a flea market pickup for a quarter or so when I was a kid.

tn_Four Color 13.jpg

Every time I see this cover - and it is not that often - I note the "Baby Weems" ersatz one sheet promo poster and think this is where the opening sequence of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" originated.

Nice book.

17 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

"We sterilize our books". What? lol

In the "no germs here" sense or "you'll never reproduce" threat? How was this achieved? Gamma radiation?

I have never seen a store stamp quite like that. I've always had a soft spot for RCMP yarns though - especially Sergeant Preston and  his wonder dog Yukon King. Nice book - if a little sterile.

While I had noticed the stamp, I had not actually read it.  This must have been from an early comic or used  book dealer from Colorado springs named Sollo's.  Never run across that previously.  

Here are some others from Blissard

fc 221 Uncle Wiggly.jpg

fc 221 bc.jpg

fc 166 Roy Rogers.jpg

fc 166 bc.jpg

21 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

Every time I see this cover - and it is not that often - I note the "Baby Weems" ersatz one sheet promo poster and think this is where the opening sequence of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" originated.

Nice book.

Have you watched the film where it appeared? A very interesting piece with Robert Benchley touring the Disney studio and starring some of the top animators.

Ward Kimball is pretty interesting animating Goofy. When I moved into my current house I found out Ward Kimball lived around the corner from where I got gas. He had a full size set of tracks going into his yard from the street. He used to have full size trains there. There was a sign across a chain on the driveway saying, "KEEP OUT!" He passed away a few years after I moved in here but that house and land is still there the last time I looked waiting for someone to build a bunch of places on it.

4 hours ago, jmg3637 said:

While I had noticed the stamp, I had not actually read it.  This must have been from an early comic or used  book dealer from Colorado springs named Sollo's.  Never run across that previously.  

Here are some others from Blissard

fc 221 Uncle Wiggly.jpg

fc 221 bc.jpg

Uncle Wiggly is a wacky character. I've been reading some of his stories when I pick up Animal Comics.

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs