• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,793 posts in this topic

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:24 PM, jmg3637 said:

I also read the funny pages as a kid,  especially enjoyed them on Sunday when there was a whole section and it was in color.  I read those for years prior to finding out about comic books.

here are a few more from  Blissard.  I wonder what was the earliest comic that was devoted to a real horse?

fc 336 Woody Woodpecker.jpg

fc 336 bc.jpg

fc 316 Rex Allen.jpg

fc 316 bc.jpg

fc 287 Champion.jpg

fc 287 bc.jpg

I ended up selling most of my Four Color extras through Heritage where they sold them in lots of 1-15 books. I saw that a lot of them ended up on Blizzards site. I recognized the Crippen D copy Bugs Bunny immediately. Looks like you ended up with a good many of my duplicates after all. In  fact it's clear to me that one of Blissards top sales methods is to buy the big raw lots from Heritage and sell them off one by one. It's a lot of work but when you can post a couple of hundred books a week it can sharpen your reputation as a seller over time.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:07 PM, Sqeggs said:

This one is a little tougher to find.  Long-forgotten now, but I think silent Henry was still on the comics pages when I was a kid.

henry_zpsuuzv0j9m.JPG

Henry was indeed a staple in our local paper up until at least 1070-75 or so. great book!

10 hours ago, 4GEMWORKS said:

I ended up selling most of my Four Color extras through Heritage where they sold them in lots of 1-15 books. I saw that a lot of them ended up on Blizzards site. I recognized the Crippen D copy Bugs Bunny immediately. Looks like you ended up with a good many of my duplicates after all. In  fact it's clear to me that one of Blissards top sales methods is to buy the big raw lots from Heritage and sell them off one by one. It's a lot of work but when you can post a couple of hundred books a week it can sharpen your reputation as a seller over time.

Yes, I think you are right.  It may explain why raw lots (of all kinds of books) on Heritage have tended to do better than you might expect.  Of course, there must be another dealer (or collector) that's bidding along with him for prices to be pushed up as much as they have been. 

On 8/6/2018 at 9:13 PM, sfcityduck said:

Close, but no cigar.  FC 353 (October 1951) is the first time Carl Barks' penciled Scrooge on a cover, but it was a mere cameo (actually, the very definition of a cameo, e.g., a small portrait).  

The first time that Scrooge ever appeared on a comic cover was actually Walt Disney's Vacation Parade (July 1951), but that was a mere crowd shot where he straddled the fold:

Image result for vacation Parade 2

The chronology is this:

* Vacation Parade 2 (July 1951) - 1st Cover Appearance (cameo crowd shot) 

* FC 353 (Oct. 1951) - 2nd Cover Appearance (cameo), 1st by Barks

* FC 379 (March-April 1952) - 3rd Cover Appearance, 1st time featured on Cover

* FC 386 (March 1952) - 4th Cover Appearance; 2nd by Barks, 2nd featured

* WDC&S 140 (May 1952) - 5th Cover Appearance, 3rd by Barks, 3rd featured, 1st on title,1st by Barks on WDC&S

Which just goes to illustrate that you should be skeptical of what the auction houses say. For example, Heritage states:

"Only a Poor Old Man is the first Uncle Scrooge solo story, Scrooge's first cover appearance, and the book that counts as Uncle Scrooge #1"

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/four-color-386-uncle-scrooge-dell-1952-cgc-nm-94-off-white-to-white-pages/a/825-44210.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515&tab=ArchiveSearchResults-012417

The first two representations are both wrong.

FC 386 is also not the first Scrooge solo story or even the first story without Donald Duck.

Thanks for the great info sfcity...I guess if you want to know about a duck you need to ask one...:bigsmile:

On 9/19/2018 at 11:04 PM, 4GEMWORKS said:

FYI-Quite a few of the FC lots on Heritage this week are my books.

I looked at the lots,  and it seemed like none of them had more than 10%  books that i still need,  so not worth pursuing for me.  How did the lots do?

These two were hanging on the wall at my office until I brought them home to be reunited with the rest of the collection

fc 083 Gene Autry.jpg

fc 083 bc.jpg

fc 893 Jim Bowie.jpg

fc 893 bc.jpg

they actually close this Sunday

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:47 AM, jmg3637 said:

I looked at the lots,  and it seemed like none of them had more than 10%  books that i still need,  so not worth pursuing for me.  How did the lots do?

These two were hanging on the wall at my office until I brought them home to be reunited with the rest of the collection

fc 083 Gene Autry.jpg

fc 083 bc.jpg

fc 893 Jim Bowie.jpg

fc 893 bc.jpg

day.

11 hours ago, sagii said:
20 hours ago, Badger said:

Revive the thread with a fun mid-grade I bought at Oafcon in Norman, Oklahoma last weekend.

fc_187_front.jpg

...One of the best covers in the Bugs series :applause:

I love it!  One of the Bugs FCs that I'm missing.