• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,793 posts in this topic

When looking to see which book this Australian comic reprinted, I discovered that it was Four Color #413 and #669. I assume that's because the movie was circulated again. Are there any other 'multiple' FCs?

Robin-Hood.thumb.jpg.bd18fd1800048e7b3bb7f6502f8e0c62.jpg

7 hours ago, jmg3637 said:

Btw  is anyone here fighting over the TWIST  missing FC that Blissard has up for sale?  Way higher tham I would have thought, even for a high grade copy

Missed that one.  Do you have a link to the sale or know the final price?

Notoriously tough book. 

6 hours ago, AJD said:

When looking to see which book this Australian comic reprinted, I discovered that it was Four Color #413 and #669. I assume that's because the movie was circulated again. Are there any other 'multiple' FCs?

There are, but I don't have a list of them.  I think some of the other Disney books were reprinted -- Snow White, Cinderella, maybe Pinocchio.  Some young readers might have been disappointed to buy one of them not realizing it was a reprint of a book they already had. 

On 10/12/2018 at 11:42 PM, AJD said:

I never realized that this was a reprint.  I was looking in the guide after I was this  and found there were a total of 5 full reprints *and a couple of partials) with this being one of the earliest

Oldest I saw was Snow White 382  which was a partial reprint  of 49 

Next Partial was 545 Pinocchio which was a partial reprint of #92

693 Song of the South was a partial reprint of 129

The best known full reprint is likely 668  which was the Dumbo  with a different background cover,, but the same number. 

682 Was a reprint of 505 Sword and the Rose, but with a different title

There was 966 Tonka which changed titles to Comanche with the reprint at 1350, the next to last Four Color

Then there was Donald in Mathmagic land which was 1051  and later 1198

1235 Mr Magoo was reprinted  in 1965 several years after the end of the series, but with the same same number.  Just a guess, but perhaps they were trying to cash in on the renewed popularity of Jim Backus after Gilligan's Isle.  I will have to check to see if I have the Original or reprint

Have a few of these scans handy,  but  not both versions of any at my fingertips

fc 668 Dumbo.jpg

fc 668 bc.jpg

FC 049 Snow White  Dwarfs.jpg

FC 049 bc.jpg

fc 545 Pinochio.jpg

fc 545 bc.jpg

FC 966 Tonka.jpg

FC 966 bc.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:17 AM, Sqeggs said:

Notoriously tough book. 

I hadn't noticed. I do have two copies that I have judged to be about Fine. One is a great pressing candidate but I wondered if it was worth it. I might just send it in now.

I've had a number of "missing Issues" sell as part of my Heritage sales and they have sold well over guide, I must admit I was surprised as well. The missing FC"s ( in particular higher grade)  are tough as nails to find, for the most part.

17 minutes ago, 4GEMWORKS said:
On 10/13/2018 at 9:17 AM, Sqeggs said:

Notoriously tough book. 

I hadn't noticed. I do have two copies that I have judged to be about Fine. One is a great pressing candidate but I wondered if it was worth it. I might just send it in now.

Don't seem to have gotten a reply to this unless I missed it.  Still like to know the price. 

15 minutes ago, 4GEMWORKS said:

I've had a number of "missing Issues" sell as part of my Heritage sales and they have sold well over guide, I must admit I was surprised as well. The missing FC"s ( in particular higher grade)  are tough as nails to find, for the most part.

I won some (raw grouped into a lot) a couple of months back.  I'm still missing some from the list.  Probably have about 60%. 

On October 14, 2018 at 4:18 PM, jmg3637 said:

I never realized that this was a reprint.  I was looking in the guide after I was this  and found there were a total of 5 full reprints *and a couple of partials) with this being one of the earliest

Oldest I saw was Snow White 382  which was a partial reprint  of 49 

Next Partial was 545 Pinocchio which was a partial reprint of #92

693 Song of the South was a partial reprint of 129

The best known full reprint is likely 668  which was the Dumbo  with a different background cover,, but the same number. 

682 Was a reprint of 505 Sword and the Rose, but with a different title

There was 966 Tonka which changed titles to Comanche with the reprint at 1350, the next to last Four Color

Then there was Donald in Mathmagic land which was 1051  and later 1198

1235 Mr Magoo was reprinted  in 1965 several years after the end of the series, but with the same same number.  Just a guess, but perhaps they were trying to cash in on the renewed popularity of Jim Backus after Gilligan's Isle.  I will have to check to see if I have the Original or reprint

Have a few of these scans handy,  but  not both versions of any at my fingertips

The reprints make sense when you consider that the studio would re-release the films. I'm sure the animated feature re-issues were timed with that practice. I didn't realize Mathmagic land had two issues but I bet that film got released multiple times too as a short before a feature.

23 hours ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

The reprints make sense when you consider that the studio would re-release the films. I'm sure the animated feature re-issues were timed with that practice. I didn't realize Mathmagic land had two issues but I bet that film got released multiple times too as a short before a feature.

I think Disney was on a cycle of rereleasing films every seven years.  I'm way too lazy to check whether that spacing matches the reprints of FC issues based on their films but it would make sense if it did. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I think Disney was on a cycle of rereleasing films every seven years.  I'm way too lazy to check whether that spacing matches the reprints of FC issues based on their films but it would make sense if it did. 

And the practice would continue into the seventies with the Walt Disney Showcase series which was one of my favorites. That introduced me to a variety of older material and whet my appetite for more. If I weren't lazy I would dig out the small handbills I saved from a local theater during this time period when Disney would host a summer festival that would pair a live-action feature with a classic animated feature on Friday evenings. I used to love those and I would drag my younger brother with me to see them. I was able to see pretty much every one of the early classics in one summer; quite an education when paired with a reading of The Art of Disney which I had just finished a summer or two before in my local library.

Theme today: Some of the toughest books to get you will see on this site. I just got a few back from CGC!

I saw a CGC copy in 9.4 or 9.2 a few days after I discovered the missing number series. I let it go at about $190. I realized shortly thereafter I should have paid whatever it took. You rarely see above VG. I bought this at VG and had it pressed. I have another copy in the hopper that might be closer to 8.0-9.0. But that is a ways off.

Missing Four Color #1339

Missing 1339  Rawhide A429.jpg

Missing 1339  Rawhide B430.jpg

Edited by 4GEMWORKS