• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,793 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, edowens71 said:
3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:
17 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Has this one ever been posted?

yak.jpg

I think so, but not a 9.6 copy!

Jack Davis (worship)

I've never read this issue, but it seems unusual for a Four Color, most of which featured either well-known funny animal characters, movies, or TV shows. I'm assuming this issue isn't based on existing characters.  I'd have to go through the four color list, but, off the top of my head, I can't think of another issue like this one. hm

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I've never read this issue, but it seems unusual for a Four Color, most of which featured either well-known funny animal characters, movies, or TV shows. I'm assuming this issue isn't based on existing characters.  I'd have to go through the four color list, but, off the top of my head, I can't think of another issue like this one. hm

There was another Jack Davis Yak Yak - Four Color #1186

Stock photo:

759597.jpg

Edited by edowens71

Just now, edowens71 said:

There was another Jack Davis Yak Yak - Four Color #1186

Stock photo:

759597.jpg

Interesting.  These were both from the period near the end of the Dell run.  As @4GEMWORKS has so usefully shown, there were a number of late Dell books that were probably meant to be part of the FC series but got published as one-shots.  Maybe this was an abortive late-Dell effort to use the FC series to develop some content different from the usual FC material.

On 6/9/2017 at 9:56 PM, 4GEMWORKS said:

I managed to pick off this rarity  from David Alexander after negotiating a reasonable price. This 15 cent variant of FC #3 (series 1) is the only one I've ever seen and pairs up my #4 Donald Duck 15 cent price variant , Both the only known copies to this day.

FC%203%20Myra%20North%2015%20cent%20vari

FC%203%20Myra%20North%2015%20cent%20vari

Did the original 10 cent version have the ad on the back cover? 

On 6/20/2017 at 2:14 PM, Sqeggs said:

Interesting.  These were both from the period near the end of the Dell run.  As @4GEMWORKS has so usefully shown, there were a number of late Dell books that were probably meant to be part of the FC series but got published as one-shots.  Maybe this was an abortive late-Dell effort to use the FC series to develop some content different from the usual FC material.

Here are the other 2 yaks that I got with the collection I just bought.  A 9.0 & a 6.0 (6.0 looks like an 8.0, I have no idea why it was down graded so much)

yak2.jpg

I just noticed these 2 FC 1186 comics have different back covers.  Is that a common variant for these late numbered FCs?  Which came 1st?  I like the one on the left the best since it has more Jack Davis art, but Ads pay the bills so I can see why they would want an Ad on the back cover.

The CGC label makes no mention of "variant" on either of these.

yakbacks.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

10 hours ago, Montezuma said:

Most of the four colors from the 700's up have an ad back and a comic back. I believe they were issued at the same time, but different distribution networks

Are one of the two backs rarer than the other.  Do current CGC slabs reflect the variance? 

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

Are one of the two backs rarer than the other.  Do current CGC slabs reflect the variance? 

My guess is CGC might start including a note on the label if someone alerted them to the two covers and if they felt the distinction was important to collectors.

Four Colors don't have an overly large base of collectors, so I don't know if the value would differ between the two versions even if it could be established that was one was rarer than the other -- which, I guess, may actually already be known.  

51 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

My guess is CGC might start including a note on the label if someone alerted them to the two covers and if they felt the distinction was important to collectors.

Four Colors don't have an overly large base of collectors, so I don't know if the value would differ between the two versions even if it could be established that was one was rarer than the other -- which, I guess, may actually already be known.  

When "Yak Yak" the major motion picture is announced then the difference will matter. :banana:

The Comic backs are more desirable, but I think they're probably a little more common as well. In any event there isn't much of a premium on anything Dell since they are common. Keeps the price down for those few of us that love them.

Have not posted much in nearly a year.

I had been on a roll in organizing my Collection/Hoard  ( When does it turn from one to another), but then got majorly derailed by finding a long standing leak from the Shower on the other side of the wall from the main comic closet that holds almost all of my Gold/Silver age books.  The leak was confined to the bottom shelf only and due to the preventative measures I had taken only one Drawerbox was impacted.  And in another Kudos for the system only the outer shell got wet and the water never wicked to the inner box

Finally  getting back on track to organize the Four Colors and post more books

This is my first attempt at posting images since the new site.

fc 006 Smitty.jpg

fc 006 Smitty bc.jpg

fc 036 bc.jpg

fc 036 Smilin' Jack.jpg

fc FS 003 Myra North Special Nurse.jpg

fc FS 003 Myra North bc.jpg

Edited by jmg3637
add images

Yes  it is nice to see the earliest of the Four Colors.  the First series and  first 50 of the 2nd series are the weakest sections of my collection

Nicer still to have been able to have scored these in a trade with MyComicShop.com  I was very glad when they removed the $ cap on items you build up trade for.  As I recall years ago they would not let you trade for any item with a value of more than $25.

While I have not been a fan of the new board as I find it much harder to navigate it is much easier to be able to upload images directly from a source without going through the process of having them hosted at sites like photobucket.  Trying to post a few more that I uploaded to the bucket last year.  BTW is there anyway to preview the post prior to submitting?  OK so far it did not work and says I have to update account yo enable 3rd party hosting.  Is that my CGC account  or PhotoBucket account?

These were from a trade with 4GEM  for some of his undercopies.

fc%20341%20UnBirthday%20Party_zpskcvjkzt

fc%20341%20bc_zpsslgvoneo.jpg

fc%20554%20Rusty%20Riley_zpsuocxtbz0.jpg

fc%20554%20bc_zpsg7q7ssnn.jpg

fc%20551%20Bozo_zpsqxixi9b8.jpg

fc%20551%20bc_zps6su7ruh2.jpg

Edited by jmg3637

Wow  what a change in the policies of Photobucket.  In order for me to post or link to an image they now require an upgrade to a 500 level account costing 39.99 per month.  I swear that this was not the case a week ago. 

The free deal that I had with them for the last 10+ years was too good, but I sure hate that all of the thousands of images I had uploaded and posted over the years are now GONE.   is there another free or almost free site that can be used?  Even with over 3000 images I was only using 1.3 gigs.

Here are the books I tried to post last time

fc 551 bc.jpg

fc 551 Bozo.jpg

fc 341 bc.jpg

fc 341 UnBirthday Party .jpg

fc 554 bc.jpg

fc 554 Rusty Riley.jpg

Nice copies.  There are a couple of threads in Comics General discussing PB's new policy.  I have a low-priced paid subscription, so I'm grandfathered in through Dec 31, 2018.  Luckily on the new boards, it's possible to download images and drag them into posts.