• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

first trip to the comic shop.....

45 posts in this topic

It was a pleasure meeting your wife and child at the Tyson's show even though it was brief. The baby pictures you post don't do Logan any justice.

So when do you plan on bringing the dogs to a show? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

My first trip to the comic shop was not very positive and even worse was my first card/comic convention...

Another poster on here can verify the existence of this used bookstore where we grew up where it was across the street from a school and lots of kids went in and were all treated like [!@#%^&^] customers. Stacks of used and decaying books littered the store and I think they sold ninja stars and "glass water pipes" in the back...but up front was the comic set up. It was cramped, musty, hazy from the incessant chain smoking of this obese couple who looked like they were brother and sister and you were afraid that they would take a bite out of you when they addressed you, save that they were too lazy to get up off their stools except to ring you up. They ran a primitive weekly sub service where they would set aside new pulls and stuff them all bent and piled up with other subs...nothing new could come from there without a huge dent in it. I hated dealing with them but for their proximity and convenience where little neighborhood 8 year olds can go together to pick up comics and not get mugged by older block bullies frown.gif It was like running the gauntlet to get back home with our comics still in hand...but anyway...I always wonder what happend to those folks, but I bet all their stock has gone brittle to tan from getting "smoked" 24/7....they did have from what I recall an X-Men 1 and an AF 15 hanging up in the display window ...great, add fading and sunshadow lines to the list of flaws frown.gif

My first con at the Flushing Elks Lodge was quite the experience of getting screwed by baseball card dealers and comic dealers all in the same day at the tender age of 10 frown.gif

First trip was in March of 2001 after I started looking at comics on eBay. My local shop which I still frequent is called "Bob's Comic Castle".

My first trip yielded an Action #1 (Millenium edition, of course), Futurama #2, and a Hulk #393 (which I bought because of the cool cover and the origin was retold).

I have probably bought about 500 comics from that shop (mostly new comics like USM 1-86).

I remember going to a place in Parsons, Ks. It was a nice store. Clean, plenty of stock. Never really paid attention to back issues. Seems like I remember seeing a Hulk 1 in there. Since it was an hour away from my house, I was lucky to get there once a month. Found a place in Joplin, Mo. called The Book Barn that I never set foot in but boy, did they have just about anything you ever requested. At least in Comics from the 80's and 90's. I got my first Sandman(not GA, the Johnny Depp imitator) from there. I would order my books and set up my pulls and all was gravy. A very good store, which I believe is still in business.