• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Response
9 9

353 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

Does anyone know if he's a good dentist... my tooth is killing me.

Probably Karma Kalling, Dahling.

1 minute ago, comicnoir said:

I was happy to read this entire thread, just to see the power one comic book can wield. Now where's that tylenol?

Have a piece of gravel - it has the same therapeutic value.  :eyeroll:

On 12/19/2006 at 6:44 AM, Dave Anderson-migration said:

Hello CGC Forum Readers-Although I don't read the forum comments as a rule, I am aware of some of their content. Over the years I know my name has appeared from time to time, but after reading some of the comments posted about me recently, I feel the need to respond. The instigator of these comments was Steve Carey who has distorted facts related to some recent dealings. First, a little background: Over the last few months I listed a large private collection of Golden Age Books on eBay, many of which had restoration. If anyone were to go back to these listings, they would clearly see that MANY were listed as restored. I noted to the best of my ability any restoration that I could detect. Did I miss some minor restoration, apparently yes, who wouldn't when dealing with the volume I was working with, which is why I offered a full 7 day return priviledge on anything I listed with an extention granted for anyone who wanted to send a book to CGC. A very small percentage of the nearly $200,000 in sales involving hundreds of comics were returned for various reasons and each and every person

received their money back immediately. In the case of Steve Carey, I sold him an Adventure 60 which was slabbed in a CGC Blue Holder for Geppi's Entertainment Museum graded 8.5 (this is a matter of fact and should be verifiable by CGC) and cracked out by me which I told Carey in advance. Since Carey knows more than CGC, he returned the book saying it was reglossed and I gave him his refund. He then asked me about a couple of other books that I had listed on eBay. I pulled them out and examined them very closely, told him I suspected there might be color touch on one of them (I wasn't positive, but told him that anyway so as not to have him potentially return another book) and that he shouldn't bid. (It turned out NOT to have color touch). He eventually won a More Fun, but prior to shipping it to him I told him that when running my finger along the spine it felt a little stiff and might have a dot of glue on the spine, again so as not to have him return another book or waste his time. He offered me something like half of his bid price with the new information which I declined. No harm, no foul? Personally, I would have appreciated the honesty, but Carey felt the need to leave me a neutral feedback because of this (my only neutral with no negatives and nearly 1000 positives), and yes I left him a nuetral in return. The final book Carey refers to is a More Fun 16 which someone else bought, asked for a refund (unrelated to any restoration issues) WEEKS after the auction ended, and shipped it to at least two other people trying to sell it (including Carey). The buyer requested that I relist it for him which I did. The buyer and I are working on a mutually acceptable resolution which is none of Carey's business but he is still trying to cause trouble and interfere anyway. I should mention that Carey initially sent me an email after seeing this More Fun 16 calling it a "nice book" (again, a matter of record and fact). The final attempted deal with Carey is when he tried to sell me an overgraded over rated All American 16. As is typical with Carey, anything he has is great and anything anyone else has is junk. His copy of All American 16 has a subscription crease down the cover among other defects, and he represents it as the best known copy even going so far as to say that it's better than the Mile High Copy which I told him point blank is a ridiculous statement on his part. Carey is trying hard to convince anyone who might buy it that it can be pressed to achieve a much higher grade because he knows that as is it's nothing special. I personally have seen several copies that blow it away even if the creases were to be pressed out. I still agreed to take a look at it but he reneged on his promise to send it to me for inspection and nothing came of the deal. I doubt anyone will pay his $75,000 asking price for a book that's VG if that. If trying to be honest with Carey in each of these transactions, even going so far as to cost myself a sale in two cases warrants all of the negativity generated on the boards, it should make one pause and consider the source. Steve Carey is considered a bit of a joke by big comics dealers (they've told me so!) and is considered by nearly everyone who deals with him as a picky pain in the *spoon*. He has a huge double standard when it comes to buying and selling. I've known him for 20 years and he's always been that way. We recently reconnected via these eBay listings at which time he told me he had purged his collection of many of the books I had sold him many years ago because he found restoration, yet he never said a word to me and acknowledged that he didn't lose any money. I'm sure Carey will respond with more lies and exaggerations through these boards as he isn't man enough to tell me directly, but please, anyone who cares, ask any major dealer or collector out there who has actually had several dealings with each of us, who they would believe to tell it like it is, or who they'd prefer to deal with, Dave Anderson or Steve Carey. I would bet the vast majority, if not all, would say Dave Anderson. In closing, I will not post anything else on these boards related to this. I've had my say and will let readers form their own opinions. Regarding my Action #1: The people who have seen it and whose opinions matter to me know what my book is. Just ask Bob Overstreet, Steve Borock, Steve Geppi, Steve Fishler, or Joe Vereneault. Everyone else can choose to believe what they want as is their right.

WHY would you keep doing business with someone like that after 20 years of shenanigans???

4 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

One of the classics, right next to "I went out with Danny Dupcak" and "The Wheels are in motion" .

Certain parties was very restrained in the Wheels are in Motion.  Had that party been provided an audience with the complainant, there is no doubt that one of the individuals would have been slapped upside the head. 

5 hours ago, goodrockrich said:

I read this and think if these guys would just certify the books prior to sale it would save them a boat load of grief.(shrug)

No doubt they will when they do eventually put them out for sale since quality books like these will most certainly get slabbed.  (thumbsu

Just that when these particular copies were purchased it was years, if not decades before CGC even came into existence.  :gossip:

No real point to get them slabbed now since they aren't for sale yet, and they can still peruse and enjoy them in their raw condition in the meantime.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine