• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Nick Cage comic theft

139 posts in this topic

Quote//// Mark, I have been in this hobby for 30 years and completed my run of Action Comics nearly 10 years ago. I know where there are 9 unrestored copies of Action Comics 1 in Connecticut and Rhode Island alone.

Yep, I think this is the one. This is what he had mentioned to me too when we were discussing how rare Action 1s were. I think you found the person.Maybe he can help out? Its just a shot....

Interesting. I currently own the Marvel #71 Crippen Copy.

West

Does it have the small bindery tear at the top of the cover?

S

Yes it does, got it from Verzyl. Beautiful book!

West

What an infamous book! Stolen from both Crippen and Cage. I wonder when it will be stolen from you. 27_laughing.gif

West

S

West

What an infamous book! Stolen from both Crippen and Cage. I wonder when it will be stolen from you. 27_laughing.gif

devil.gif

Books that are stolen have a tendency to surface after enough years have passed (at least in the mind of the thief).

As Stephen knows the Windy City Cap 1 was recovered 8 years after it was stolen.

These books will turn up one day.

West

S

West

We'll need a lawyer to phone in on this one, but isn't owning merchandise that is known to be stolen illegal?

Books that are stolen have a tendency to surface after enough years have passed (at least in the mind of the thief).

As Stephen knows the Windy City Cap 1 was recovered 8 years after it was stolen.

These books will turn up one day.

Yes, probably, but maybe not for a while. This kind of thing is commonplace in the fine art world, albeit the motivation is somewhat greater. tongue.gif

I would also assume Cage didn't want the police involved because he didn't want to have it all over the news. You would think a guy like that could have some one go to CT and "rough-up" this guy

So that's why Lisa Marie kicked me in the nuts a few years ago.... foreheadslap.gifcrazy.gif

What did you do to earn this?

thanks for sharing this story. his decision to sell off his collection must not have been easy, but i could also understand if the theft made the decision to dump it all easier for him.

i know i stopped collecting comics for about 8 yrs (going back to the mid-90's) because of a theft of some of my prized books.

it disturbed me even more when i discovered that it was someone i knew that had stolen the books, and what disgusted me the most was that the lcs that purchased the stolen books wouldn't cooperate, and denied they had ever bought any stolen books.

this while the books were staring right at me on their wall. when i later returned with evidence and the police, all the books that were previously hanging on his wall were no longer there, and nowhere to be found.

a camera phone might really have been handy back then...