• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wonderbread treatment?

311 posts in this topic

I read about it....I've thought about trying it....I finally did it...

I'm talking about taking a piece of bread and lightly rubbing it on a comic book in order to "erase" scuff marks. To my wonderment it actually works....far better than I had anticipated...

Behold....

Before Bread Repair:

http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/46/45949/daredevil45back.jpg

After Bread Repair:

http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/46/45949/dd45back.jpg

You may notice that the scans have differant lighting levels....that is due to me using my home scanner on the before pic and my work scanner on the second pic....however the point of the process should be visible and apparent...

Looks like ninanina was right...I should have used this technique on my Batman 200 before selling it....

Does it affect the permanent inks? confused.gif

The gloss was not affected at all....I was worried about this too but there was no ink smudging whatsoever...this was genuinly an enlightening experiance... 893blahblah.gif

Of course, I can't wait till you submit a book to CGC and get a Purple label that read.

(COVER CLEANED WITH WHEAT PRODUCT) 27_laughing.gif

Actually, I might try this myself.

Unfortunately, dirt on the back cover seems to play very little role in the actual grade of a CGC comic book. I have several CGC 9.4's that have a lot more dirt on the back cover than I would expect in that grade. confused.gif

I've heard it works even better if you spread some strawberry preserves on the bread first.

laugh.gif

After your done cleanign you can eat the evidence

I've heard it works even better if you spread some strawberry preserves on the bread first.

laugh.gif

You forgot to add butter, too.

Looks like ninanina was right...I should have used this technique on my Batman 200 before selling it....

Well, almost right anyway. I suggested a "white" erasor. I've used that with similar results. Results are:

Impressive ...... grin.gif

And greggy a white erasor does not effect cover gloss either. But ya' can't rub it like your trying to erase an ink pen 'cause that will not only effect the cover gloss, it may take the cover with it. frown.gifgrin.gif

Oh, almost forgot. Gotta be clean. Any "black" on the end has a tendency to rub off on the comic.

Damn simultaneous posting... if you're careful it will affect the book less.. but I can't recommend the old eraser job on a high grade book crazy.gif

Not if it's a white erasor and your delicate. Pink is a no-no. I've tried it and it works. It did not change the cover gloss and took out most of the dirt, just like araich's scans show. But, if anyone wants to try it - I wouldn't practice on a Hulk 181. grin.gif

if you're careful it will affect the book less.. but I can't recommend the old eraser job on a high grade book crazy.gif

Yeah, maybe not a 9.2 or better but great for any VF+ on down I think would be ok. And again, if you're not sure or nervous either don't try it or do it on a book where it won't matter.

I went to the art supply store today (motivated by this thread) and bought several different kinds of erasers. I will be testing results on several "reading copies" and will post results (scans) when I'm done. Oh, I also got a loaf. grin.gif

Not if it's a white erasor and your delicate. Pink is a no-no. I've tried it and it works. It did not change the cover gloss and took out most of the dirt

I wouldn't advise using an eraser at all. It WILL adversly affect the cover gloss and will disturb the paper fibres. You may not be able to see it at a glance but look at the book with a magnifying glass and the damage will be apparent.

Wonder Bread seems to be the only thing that works effectively in removing cover dirt.

I totally agree... even when you are careful, if you shine the book in the light afterwards, you can see where you did your "dirty work" with the eraser...

Unfortunately, dirt on the back cover seems to play very little role in the actual grade of a CGC comic book. I have several CGC 9.4's that have a lot more dirt on the back cover than I would expect in that grade. confused.gif

Then will someone please explain to me why all of the haters in here downgraded Araich's Batman 200 so much because of the back cover soiling. mad.gif

I've had books come back from CGC in HIGH grade with this back cover soiling as well. But post one on the forums for people to grade, and all of a sudden they are downgrading it to a 893censored-thumb.gif 7.0 because of the back cover. mad.gif

Oh, I also got a loaf

that just does not sound right to me for some reason.

ironically enough i have been putting of the wonder bread gig on a couple of books i wanted to try it on and finally did it this weekend. and the results were good. i did not scan them or anything but it did do the trick.