• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wonderbread treatment?

311 posts in this topic

Wonder Bread....it's just not for eatin' anymore.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As opposed to "it's not *just* for eatin' anymore" smile.gif I like your version better, Terry!

In the couple of instances where I've used the WB technique, I take a slice o' the bread, remove crust, wad the bread up and then use like you would any other doughy, round eraser...

I think that using higher quality bread might result in the yellow 'oily' staining described above. I think that somehow, WB has the perfect combination of ingredients to get rid of the dirt without leaving other substances / residue behind... if you feel like experimenting, I would advocate finding bread that is *cheaper* and *whiter* than WB, if either thing is possible...

You're not a shill for the Wonder Bread people, are you?..... 893scratchchin-thumb.giftongue.gif

Seriously I have an old SA comic that has that newsprint grime of 40 years on it and if I can get rid of it the comic will look pretty sharp. Is this an old wives tale? Has anyone ever tried this before? What do I do, remove crust, toast it, roll it up in a ball first?

Seriously I have an old SA comic that has that newsprint grime of 40 years on it and if I can get rid of it the comic will look pretty sharp. Is this an old wives tale? Has anyone ever tried this before? What do I do, remove crust, toast it, roll it up in a ball first?

This was the subject of a previous thread:

wonder bread

Appreciate the link. Didn't seem to work. frown.gif

It didnt work? I just tried it and the board came right up... confused.gif

Hi all, been enjoying this forum for the past month, and have learned quite alot from your posts, for that I thank you all. I have seen mentioned on numerous threads about using wonder bread for light surface cleaning on covers and back covers can someone elaborate on the proper procedure for this?

Thanks again,

Joeno3 smile.gif

1) Crack slab on 8.5 book with dirty cover.

2) Get some fresh Wonder Bread.

3) Press it firmly to the cover.

4) Remove bread (and dirt).

5) Resub and get a 9.2.

Here's the results of my latest adventures (before/after)...

AmazingSpiderMan_150_bk_cmp.jpg

To be safe, trim the crusts! The crust is harder than the soft inner goodness that is Wonder Bread. And also, frequently lift up the mass of bread and check for signs of ink being rubbed off both on the bread and the book. You don;t want to go slightly smearing back cover black inks. A sure sign of dry celan.

My advice: don't do it.

The risks outweight the possible benefits. Sometimes the bread can leave a bit of sticky residue and it's very easy to break off a corner or a chip on an older book.

Zip,

I agree, to a certain extent. It appears that SG chose a strong candidate however 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1) Crack slab on 8.5 book with dirty cover.

2) Get some fresh Wonder Bread.

3) Press it firmly to the cover.

4) Remove bread (and dirt).

5) Resub and get a 9.2.

Here's the results of my latest adventures (before/after)...

The "Look" in "Look who's smiling now" looks like it's less red in the pic on the right.