• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"hidden' Spiderman #2 on ebay

37 posts in this topic

Well I got out bidded.

I had plenty of time to place a bid but it just got to high for my taste. Anyhow, I think I'm going to try and make a Wizard world this year. Just wait til the last day and have cash in hand.

thats the 2nd 'Hidden" spidey 2 in a couple weeks. There was a huge lot of about 50 beat up DC slver books, listed in the lots section, with one marvel, a spidey #2. It didn't crop up in any of the pics either, the auction only showed a few. I bid $200, because the other books were worth way more then that, but it went for $600ish if I remember correctly. Nothing stays hidden!

OK, I'm sure a few of you wondered what happened here. I might as well fess up on this one. shy.gifhi.gif

I was the winner of the ASM #2. I don't usually roll the dice with auctions like this one, but #2 was one of the last three silver Spideys I need, and I've been looking for an affordable low-grade copy. I got a bit carried away with the intrigue of the auction, and just couldn't resist.

The bad news is pretty obvious when you look at the cover...there are several "embellishments" done by a kid with a red pen, and a handful of panels on the interior have similar exhibits of artistry. Depending on how you look at it, they're actually kind of charming...unless, of course, you gambled $416 on this book! tongue.gifmakepoint.gif

The good news is that the seller was reasonably easy to work with. I could tell she was going to resist a full return or might refuse it outright, so I gave her the option of a partial refund of $160 because of the undisclosed problems. She agreed to it and has already refunded the money, so now I've paid a total of $265 shipped for the book. Since the Overstreet 2.0 price is $317, it's a lot more palatable for me at that price.

When I negotiated the refund, I was thinking I would just relist it on ebay, break even & call it a day, but now I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep it. Except for the doodles, the cover has great colors and gloss, and the page quality is surprisingly fresh for a low grade book.

Here it is:

asm2.jpg

asm2back.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think I could live with the colored in words...but there's something about those eyes.

So Jon, when are you going to pick up #41?

I think I could live with the colored in words...but there's something about those eyes.

So Jon, when are you going to pick up #41?

27_laughing.gif I know what you mean about the Spidey eyes, John. I once had a conversation with a fellow collector at the office about how aggravating this particular defect is on silver ASMs. Too funny that I just added a book with that defect to my collection! (Hey, at least the kid used red pen, not black...)

I've ranted about #41 on here before. Of course I could wake up tomorrow and get a copy if I were really determined to, but it's a grossly overpriced key and tends to look tanned and/or cruddy in the lower grades, so the trick is to find the right book at the right price. We shall see... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

that's not a PLOD if a kid scribbled and colored on the cover. Honestly, I don't know how bad the inside is, but that should be a "Good", heck, I've seen worse scriblings grade out higher.