• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st (Bronze) book you ever slabbed?!?!?!

28 posts in this topic

"of course, I now sleep with my 9.6 copy, but that's another story!!!"

Is that between you and your wife, or instead of her. grin.gif

My first bronze book was an ASM #122. Came back 9.4 OW-W. I was quite tickled until all these 9.4's starting coming up and cheapening the whole thing for me. mad.gif

On 10/21/2002 at 6:33 AM, FlyingDonut said:

Sent in a bunch right at the beginning. Unfortunately they're all gone - I could have paid for my car if I waited two years:

GS X-Men 1 9.4 White

Incredible Hulk 181 9.4 White

ASM 121 9.4 White

ASM 129 9.4 White

Green Lantern 90 9.4 White

Star Wars 1 35 cent 9.2 OWW

Somebody liked this so it popped up today, almost 18 years later.

All of these books were completely unpressed as I didn't know that was a thing. The Star Wars 1 is now a 9.6 and is the one shown in the Overstreet Price Guide. I sold it for $1386 and thought I was making a fortune. GPA on these books 20 years later:

GS X-Men 1: $4300
Incredible Hulk 181: $8500
ASM 121: $975
ASM 129: $2800
Green Lantern 90: $50
Star Wars 1: as a 9.2 roughly $13000 but probably much higher, as a 9.6 (top Census) no GPA sales but 9.4 $27000

So yeah, there you go. 

Back in 2004 My first submission was for GSX # 1 along with Hulk 181 that I bought off the racks from the stationary store near the N-Train Subway in Brooklyn. Both books received 5.0 grades. Well read when I was 10 years old LOL.  Still have them today along with the carbon copy return receipt from CGC as there were no internet forms or show dropoffs. Grader notes did not exist then as far as I can remember. I had CGC look them up and they emailed me the notes. Probably could upgrade with a press and clean but I think that they are very content in their original slab. My 11 year old has no interest in comics (ugh) but he will be very happy one day because they will go to him.

On 7/22/2020 at 8:56 AM, FlyingDonut said:

Somebody liked this so it popped up today, almost 18 years later.

All of these books were completely unpressed as I didn't know that was a thing. The Star Wars 1 is now a 9.6 and is the one shown in the Overstreet Price Guide. I sold it for $1386 and thought I was making a fortune. GPA on these books 20 years later:

GS X-Men 1: $4300
Incredible Hulk 181: $8500
ASM 121: $975
ASM 129: $2800
Green Lantern 90: $50
Star Wars 1: as a 9.2 roughly $13000 but probably much higher, as a 9.6 (top Census) no GPA sales but 9.4 $27000

So yeah, there you go. 

An amazing book!

That would be my grail.

Swamp Thing #8.  I was really skeptical of third party grading and wasn't about to send in a high grade/dollar book.  It cam back pretty much where I would have graded it as an 8.0.  A waste of money but I did get my feet wet.