• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Online Comic Grading Software

5 posts in this topic

I remember using this when it was free (earlier version).

I thought it demonstrated the difficulties of qualifying and quantifying the sort of defects one finds in comic books: everything I graded came back a 2.0.

I am exaggerating, but when one starts to add up the defects, the grades go down quickly. With a computer system it's hard to use terms such as "almost unnoticeable" or "subtle" or "great eye appeal".

Perhaps this newer version offers more flexibility?

Dennis

I remember using this when it was free (earlier version).

I thought it demonstrated the difficulties of qualifying and quantifying the sort of defects one finds in comic books: everything I graded came back a 2.0.

I am exaggerating, but when one starts to add up the defects, the grades go down quickly. With a computer system it's hard to use terms such as "almost unnoticeable" or "subtle" or "great eye appeal".

Perhaps this newer version offers more flexibility?

Dennis

Don't know. I always thought that it was a fascinating experiment, and that Ian (I think that was the name of the guy from the STL/ComicsPriceGuide.com message boards that designed it) did a great job with it -- but that it wasn't really accurate. For grading newbies it was a good starting point even though it took absolutely forever to grade a single book. The most valuable lesson that I took from checking out the software is that it is impossible to grade a comic book accurately by just plugging in factors into a computer.