• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ronin- underappreciated? or underwhelming?
2 2

132 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Grails said:

The Ronin does appear in every panel except the last.  I'd love to have it but my guess is it will end at around 9 or 10k which is more than I want to spend on it.

You're right. The hat threw me off!

I was in grad school when Ronin came out.  DC hyped it heavily.  On my limited budget I actually put 2 copies on my pull list.  Could not believe how bad it was and I think the cover price was $2.50 (I did get a 10% discount off that).  All I could think is that I wasted even more money buying a second copy to trade later.  Put me in the under-whelmed and under-water catagory.

Under-welming. And I'm a huge Miller fan. Finally read it (TPB) on a long plane trip to Dubai/Africa in February of this year. Massively under-welmed. Left the book on a bench at the airport in Dar es Salaam next to a guy with a goat. Might still be there. 

Edited by NoMan

2 hours ago, Grails said:

I can relate though, I did not like the book and couldn't even finish it in my late teens.  Thought the art was ugly compared to the slicker stuff I was reading then.  A decade later I gave it another shot and barely got through it.   But something about it always drew me back and one day I was able to really see it for what it was.  Well, at least what it was for me.  I also finally understood its place in context with Millers entire volume of work.   Definitely not for everyone.  Today it is my favorite work from Miller right above DKR.

Exactly this.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:11 AM, Grails said:

This is just my take, naturally....... but Ronin was a labor of love for Frank Miller, and it shows. It is the most inspired body of work that he ever produced. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

3 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

This is just my take, naturally....... but Ronin was a labor of love for Frank Miller, and it shows. It is the most inspired body of work that he ever produced. GOD BLESS...

It's also...and I probably repeat myself here...one of the most moving, pointed stories about comic books, especially superhero comic books, and their readers. If you didn't get that from it--I didn't for a long time--go back and re-read it. It's about power fantasies.

8 hours ago, JTLarsen said:

It's also...and I probably repeat myself here...one of the most moving, pointed stories about comic books, especially superhero comic books, and their readers. If you didn't get that from it--I didn't for a long time--go back and re-read it. It's about power fantasies.

Has there ever been a hardback edition that collects the whole arc ? GOD BLESS...

45 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Has there ever been a hardback edition that collects the whole arc ? GOD BLESS...

There is, I believe, an Absolute edition, as well as an Artist's Edition (in which they scan the original art). They're amazing.

12 hours ago, JTLarsen said:

There is, I believe, an Absolute edition, as well as an Artist's Edition (in which they scan the original art). They're amazing.

..... Thanks.... I see the Absolute on eBay..... that looks like the ticket for me. I don't have many, but I prize hard back editions of my favorite arcs.... like BWS Weapon X, All Star Superman.... stuff like that..... I have the Frank Cho edition of Shanna :cloud9: thinking of springing for an autograph and sketch on the first blank page... GOD BLESS...

On 8/9/2017 at 4:11 AM, Grails said:

This page of artwork reminds me a bit like Lone Wolf and Cub which was also very graphic and a fantastic story.  (thumbsu

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

This page of artwork reminds me a bit like Lone Wolf and Cub which was also very graphic and a fantastic story.  (thumbsu

And Miller did covers for it, and, I believe, was inspired by the art (and/or artist). Looking at the Ronin artwork, it's hard to imagine having TMNT if we didn't have Ronin for them to spoof...

On 8/20/2017 at 6:19 AM, JTLarsen said:

And Miller did covers for it, and, I believe, was inspired by the art (and/or artist). Looking at the Ronin artwork, it's hard to imagine having TMNT if we didn't have Ronin for them to spoof...

TMNT 1 is dedicated to Miller and Kirby on the inside FC.    I'm sure they were familiar with all of his work, but I don't think they were spoofing Ronin so much as daredevil and or the wolverine LS.   

If you recall, in Daredevil, the group of ninjas is called The Hand. 

In TMNT, its called The Foot.   

That's a direct reference to Daredevil.

That being said, I think all of Miller's work from that time seems to draw heavily from LW&C, I agree.

Edited by Bronty

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

TMNT 1 is dedicated to Miller and Kirby on the inside FC.    I'm sure they were familiar with all of his work, but I don't think they were spoofing Ronin so much as daredevil and or the wolverine LS.   

If you recall, in Daredevil, the group of ninjas is called The Hand. 

In TMNT, its called The Foot.   

That's a direct reference to Daredevil.

That being said, I think all of Miller's work from that time seems to draw heavily from LW&C, I agree.

It goes well beyond that.  Splinter learned his fighting skills by watching a woman ninja train, the turtles got their mutation when a truck spilled radioactive waste into the sewer. The same truck that split its cargo on Matt Murdock?

TMNT 1 is a direct parody of Millers DD.