• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ronin- underappreciated? or underwhelming?
2 2

132 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Because Ronin sucked so bad, there almost was no Dark Knight Returns.  First issue of Ronin much more plentiful than DK 1 because DK 1 was an iffy proposition after Ronin.  Our expectations were high for Ronin because of DD, and really low for DK because of Ronin.  

Notice the complete lack of substantiation here? Yeah. That.

2 hours ago, JTLarsen said:

Notice the complete lack of substantiation here? Yeah. That.

The facts stated in my comments are supported by the experience of having lived through Ronin and Dark Knight (witness testimony), and the opinions are supported by my taste.

Edited by sfcityduck

8 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

The facts stated in my comments are supported by the experience of having lived through Ronin and Dark Knight (witness testimony), and the opinions are supported by my taste.

I also lived through both. So my witness testimony cancels yours. I also have the press kit DC sent out promoting Ronin as one of its first TPBs. Due to, y'know, failure.

36 minutes ago, JTLarsen said:

I also lived through both. So my witness testimony cancels yours. I also have the press kit DC sent out promoting Ronin as one of its first TPBs. Due to, y'know, failure.

Ronin sold well.  We all bought it.  Many folks I know, however, never finished reading it.

My recollection is that DK, in contrast, had lower pre-orders than Ronin.  Because of fear it would suck like Ronin did.  One reason that DK had so many printings.  I am not alone in this recollection.  Read up thread. 

Your opinions on its quality are as valid as anyone's.  But they are not shared by many.

Edited by sfcityduck

13 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Ronin sold well.  We all bought it.  Many folks I know, however, never finished reading it.

My recollection is that DK, in contrast, had lower pre-orders than Ronin.  Because of fear it would suck like Ronin did.  One reason that DK had so many printings.  I am not alone in this recollection.  Read up thread. 

Your opinions on its quality are as valid as anyone's.  But they are not shared by many.

Not interested in your recollection. Unless you can back it up with evidence. As for how many people share my opinion on its quality, should I ask those who bought the Absolute edition or the Gallery edition?

9 hours ago, JTLarsen said:

Not interested in your recollection. Unless you can back it up with evidence. As for how many people share my opinion on its quality, should I ask those who bought the Absolute edition or the Gallery edition?

I bought the recent HC edition that came out maybe 1-2 years ago and re-read it for the um-teenth time.  :D   Not sure if that's the gallery edition you refer to.

7 hours ago, Reader said:

I have no idea how well-received Ronin was in the 80’s, I was a teen then and not concerned with such things.  Actually I don’t think I’ve changed much in that regard.  I do know I didn’t finish the short run and even though I dropped the book, something about it stuck with me.  A decade passed before I revisited and it was a completely different experience.  I believe Ronin was just ahead of its time to really be appreciated in the 80’s. Now I read my Absolute edition every year along with DK and 300.  

Agree that it was underappreciated in its time, but it wasn't UNappreciated. There was a fair amount of grumbling about the art style, if I recall correctly. But there was also a fair amount of people who recognized it as an important work, one that gave Miller and DC to continue pushing the boundaries of both storytelling and production values.

1 minute ago, pmpknface said:

I bought the recent HC edition that came out maybe 1-2 years ago and re-read it for the um-teenth time.  :D   Not sure if that's the gallery edition you refer to.

I don't think so. I was referring to the one shot from the original art, sometimes called Artists editions. I think that's IDW's brand for them. This, I think, was published by Graffiti, which I believe calls them Gallery editions.

I had heard that a film or series was in the works for Ronin and started searching online. Was disappointed to read that the Sci-Fi channel was picking it up but then I guess that fell through. I would love to see a six episode series from HBO or Netflix. I came across this decade old article which I think perfectly sums up the book. Its very insightful and worth the time of anyone with a passing interest.  I gave up on this book several times in the 80's and 90's. Took nearly two decades for me to flip flop my position on the ugly book and now its up there in the top three for me.

https://www.cbr.com/259065-2/