• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ronin- underappreciated? or underwhelming?
2 2

132 posts in this topic

I stopped after Issue three. I would have quit after the first issue if not for the guy killing the demon , as mentioned. I just didn't like it. Not the art, nor the story.

I read it. It was passable. The art was magnificent, "new" Miller.

But, since the story didn't stick with me, and I can't tell you what happened, that says much about it.

30 years later i can't remember what happened either, other than i know swords were used to kill things.

anyway, i remember thinking it was pretty cool, but heck, i was probably 11 or 12 then, i don't remember, and the hefty cover price might have resulted in my not finsihing out the series as that was like what, 10 books out of the 4/$1 box?

I read it. It was passable. The art was magnificent, "new" Miller.

But, since the story didn't stick with me, and I can't tell you what happened, that says much about it.

30 years later i can't remember what happened either, other than i know swords were used to kill things.

anyway, i remember thinking it was pretty cool, but heck, i was probably 11 or 12 then, i don't remember, and the hefty cover price might have resulted in my not finsihing out the series as that was like what, 10 books out of the 4/$1 box?

I read it through for the first time 6-7 years ago. I had started to read the first issue, but like so many series (Crisis #1, I've read probably 6 times, can't seem to get past #2...same with Infinite Crisis, too), I had to force myself to read it through.

I really like the art. Miller's style was bursting w/energy at this time. It is kind of scribbly, but I really like it.

The story is not what I expected; the whole Billy/Virgo/Casey story gets a little out there, but it is a unique story and I like that.

In the early 80s I was reading European material in Heavy Metal magazine as well as conventional American super-hero comics, and so for me the learning curve to appreciate Ronin wasn't too steep - despite it being very different to Miller's work on Daredevil.

I thought it was absolutely fantastic. I still love the shot where he drives the sword through himself and through the monster.

The OA to that splash is pretty killer, as you can imagine.

Yes, it must be mindblowing, particularly as I'd assume it's much bigger than comic size. Who owns it?

Take a close look at this picture:

moy1.jpg

I thought it was absolutely fantastic. I still love the shot where he drives the sword through himself and through the monster.

The OA to that splash is pretty killer, as you can imagine.

Yes, it must be mindblowing, particularly as I'd assume it's much bigger than comic size. Who owns it?

Take a close look at this picture:

moy1.jpg

:applause:

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but picked up a cheap Deluxe Edition off eBay on a whim last week and have really enjoyed re-reading this series again.

I'm in the underappreciated camp.

Was a Marvel zombie in the early '80's, but bought the Ronin issues as they came out due to the DD run. I actually "hid" them in my collection 'cause they were DC (I've since learned the error of my ways).

I do remember that I liked the series and as others have mentioned, couldn't really remember the exact details after 30+ years with no real ongoing legacy. Story still seems fresh & pleasantly re-surprised by the multitude of splashes and fluid sequence flow. The "science" of the story is much more appreciated as an adult - I started studying Bio-Medical Engineering in college just 2 years after Ronin came out (subliminal inspiration maybe?).

Yes, I liked Heavy Metal magazine so that may have some bearing as well as someone else admitted.

Well worth the couple of bucks and the time !

-bc

I've never seen the Gallery Edition - would you say it's the preferred format?

The large gallery edition (while complete) is more to just enjoy the original art at the original size with all the notes. It's certainly the next best thing to actually having the OA.

For reading purposes, I'd stick with the Absolute or Deluxe.

I love Ronin.  I have (somewhere still) a killer poster that used to hang in my old comic room 3 places ago.  I got the special edition HC that came out a few years ago and sat down and re-read it in a night.  It still holds up, to me, to this very day.  There was a few years that I'd read it every summer.  

FYI  -  Here's an image of the poster...

FMRoninPoster86.jpg

12 minutes ago, pmpknface said:

I love Ronin.  I have (somewhere still) a killer poster that used to hang in my old comic room 3 places ago.  I got the special edition HC that came out a few years ago and sat down and re-read it in a night.  It still holds up, to me, to this very day.  There was a few years that I'd read it every summer.  

FYI  -  Here's an image of the poster...

FMRoninPoster86.jpg

That's a cool poster.  It's been a while but I seem to remember Ronin being a good read.  It is underappreciated in my opinion.