• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ronin- underappreciated? or underwhelming?
2 2

132 posts in this topic

I remember it getting a lot of buzz back then but then kinda petered out "at the box office"

Never seemed to live up to its potential, but I found it a good read. confused-smiley-013.gif

confused.gif

I remember it getting a lot of buzz back then but then kinda petered out "at the box office"

Never seemed to live up to its potential, but I found it a good read. confused-smiley-013.gif

Pretty sure the question was about Frank Miller's Ronin comic book series and not the move Ronin with Robbert Deniro insane.gif

I guess my putting quotation marks around "at the box office" was a bit too analogous for some folks.

What I meant was the comic didn't live up to its potential. Much like a hyped movie that bombs at the box office.

i never really understood why they said this comic bombed, sure it lost a lot of steam in the later issue of the mini, but didn't #1 and #2 have like seven circulations? i trip over copies of ronin 1 at any show i go to.

I'm of the 'underappreciated' camp. I read it in the late 80's, and thought it was fantastic. It's one of those books I go back to read again and again.

It was OVERhyped at it's time of release...which took a bit of the enjoyment out of it back then.

But after going back and rereading it a couple of months ago, I enjoyed it very much...even understood parts that had originally confused me. confused.gif

So I'll now agree that it was UNDERappreciated. thumbsup2.gif

I thought it was absolutely fantastic. I still love the shot where he drives the sword through himself and through the monster.

It was definitely a victim of too much hype. Miller was coming off his hugely successful Dark Knight series (which was initially under-ordered, creating a sense of scarcity) and the print run was massive. When the fanboys realized it wasn't a typical superhero story, and the speculators realized they couldn't make any money because everybody and their brother had a copy, it failed to live up to expectations in the primary and secondary sales markets, creating the impression that it was a huge failure.

I thought it was absolutely fantastic. I still love the shot where he drives the sword through himself and through the monster.

The OA to that splash is pretty killer, as you can imagine.

It was definitely a victim of too much hype. Miller was coming off his hugely successful Dark Knight series (which was initially under-ordered, creating a sense of scarcity) and the print run was massive. When the fanboys realized it wasn't a typical superhero story, and the speculators realized they couldn't make any money because everybody and their brother had a copy, it failed to live up to expectations in the primary and secondary sales markets, creating the impression that it was a huge failure.

RONIN came out 3 years before DKRgossip.gif

It's been a while since I read it, but as I remember, the feudal Japan stuff worked better than the cyberpunk stuff. At least for me. Still, I did appreciate it for being different. That whole period in the 80's just blew my mind with daring, experimental work. Old Miller can't touch young Miller, sad to say.

As Nexus pointed out, Ronin preceeded Dark Knight. It was Miller's hugely successful Daredevil run that made Ronin over-hyped, over-ordered, and over-shipped (kind of like John Byrne's Man of Steel). And I believe all those unsold Ronins are precisely the reason the first prints of Dark Knight Returns #1 and #2 sold out: Everyone ordered Ronin as if it were a Miller Daredevil and got burned. So then everyone ordered DKR as if it were Ronin and got burned again!

As Nexus pointed out, Ronin preceeded Dark Knight. It was Miller's hugely successful Daredevil run that made Ronin over-hyped, over-ordered, and over-shipped (kind of like John Byrne's Man of Steel). And I believe all those unsold Ronins are precisely the reason the first prints of Dark Knight Returns #1 and #2 sold out: Everyone ordered Ronin as if it were a Miller Daredevil and got burned. So then everyone ordered DKR as if it were Ronin and got burned again!

foreheadslap.gif Yup, you guys are absolutely right, and your analysis is absolutely spot-on.

The OA to that splash is pretty killer, as you can imagine.

Yes, it must be mindblowing, particularly as I'd assume it's much bigger than comic size. Who owns it?

It's been a while since I read it, but as I remember, the feudal Japan stuff worked better than the cyberpunk stuff. At least for me. Still, I did appreciate it for being different. That whole period in the 80's just blew my mind with daring, experimental work. Old Miller can't touch young Miller, sad to say.

I really enjoyed the feudal Japan also and wished that the story stayed there, but I still like it. I guess that is why I liked FM's 300....