• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ronin- underappreciated? or underwhelming?
2 2

132 posts in this topic

i never really understood why they said this comic bombed, sure it lost a lot of steam in the later issue of the mini, but didn't #1 and #2 have like seven circulations? i trip over copies of ronin 1 at any show i go to.

i'm sure all star did too smile.gif

one of my favourite books as a kid. as evidenced by the condition my copies are in. urgh

I just got 10 NM/MT copies in a collection I just bought. Guess one of them will be turning into a 9.4 now because I'm going to read a copy. yay.gif

one of my favourite books as a kid. as evidenced by the condition my copies are in. urgh

I just got 10 NM/MT copies in a collection I just bought. Guess one of them will be turning into a 9.4 now because I'm going to read a copy. yay.gif

foreheadslap.gif

Yeah, that's certainly a problem with those prestige type books. You can't crack them open without cracking the spine a bit. frustrated.gif

But forge ahead and read it and come back and give us your opinion. thumbsup2.gif

Of course you might have to wait a day or so to let some of the sci-fi stuff sink in before it makes sense though. confused.gif

Definately under appreciated. People were not prepared for PURE Frank Miller. Up until then, peoplw were used to seeing Jansen's or Rubenstein's version of Miller. Ronin was a MASSIVE awakening as to what Miller was capable of, and people were shocked. Had DKR come out before Ronin it may not have been recieved as well. Personally, I loved Ronin and still do. Loved the Japanese theme, the art, layouts, story. Everything. And i also consider DKR oneof the finest pieces of comic literature ever created.

R.

copies of the entire run?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

what would those go for, he thought out loud

Another reason Dark Knight was under-ordered is that in the preorder packet from distributors we were shown just one blocky image from the book, which included a pretty lame-looking female Robin IIRC. Toss in the fact that I was having trouble selling any issues of Batman whatsoever and you can see why I ordered very few.

Extraordinary book. If you get the trade and read it all in one sitting, it's really impressive. I love the successive double-page spreads of the corporation building growing and taking over the city. This is one book I'd love to see in a deluxe or Absolute edition.

It was cost prohibitive for a lot of us, and it was only offered direct, another sales killa when you are buying at 7-11

I loved it and thought it reminded me of something we'd see serialized in Heavy Metal. I hope we get to see it on the silver screen.

BTW would someone please send me a TP or beater copies of a 300 set? I haven't read it/them yet. I'll read and give them back. The ads forthe movie are KILLER ...................................THANKS!

Count me in with the underappreciated clan !!!!! I think it was, and is, one of the best things I have ever read!!!

Grabbed me right from the start, and held me.....even when the last issue was delayed...I could'nt wait !!!!!

Still enjoy reading it when I get the chance !!!!

thumbsup2.gif

Bump

I'm of the 'underappreciated' camp. I read it in the late 80's, and thought it was fantastic. It's one of those books I go back to read again and again.

Well, now you'll get to see it on TV.

:whee:

I thought it was absolutely fantastic. I still love the shot where he drives the sword through himself and through the monster.

It was definitely a victim of too much hype. Miller was coming off his hugely successful Dark Knight series (which was initially under-ordered, creating a sense of scarcity) and the print run was massive. When the fanboys realized it wasn't a typical superhero story, and the speculators realized they couldn't make any money because everybody and their brother had a copy, it failed to live up to expectations in the primary and secondary sales markets, creating the impression that it was a huge failure.

Ya, very cool scene. This was one of the first Miller titles I picked up when I got back into collecting. I enjoyed rereading it. The visuals and inks are just fantastic.

Extraordinary book. If you get the trade and read it all in one sitting, it's really impressive. I love the successive double-page spreads of the corporation building growing and taking over the city. This is one book I'd love to see in a deluxe or Absolute edition.

I enjoyed Ronin. I also have the Absolute edition, which is really nice.

I enjoyed Ronin. I also have the Absolute edition, which is really nice.

I didn't realize there was a Ronin Absolute Edition. I need to track this down.

:whee: