• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nedor/Better Publications.
5 5

458 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, telerites said:
23 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Would you also happen to have a readily available scanned copy of your Fighting Yank #21 which you could post for us here to take a gander at?   :wishluck:

Thanks.  Here is my #21

1511120749311.jpg

Wow, where in the world did you managed to score this absolute stunning beauty of a truly HTF book?   :cloud9:  :takeit:

Especially since Heritage doesn't have a record of any graded copy being sold through their auction site to date after 20 years of existence so far.  ComicConnect indicates 3 graded copies being sold on their site, but in substantially lower grades.  Looks like your copy here is the 3rd highest graded copy in what appears to be a relatively low census population count.  (thumbsu  :applause:

Speaking of Fighting Yank #21 here (of which I am apparently the only one lol), I am about to assuredely say something controversial to most of the long time collectors here .  :ph34r:

Namely, that from my own personal point of view, the Schomburg cover image for Fighting Yank #21 from a thematical point of view, bears somewhat of a striking resemblance to the much more highly acclaimed and widely recognized classic cover image for Blue Beetle 54:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Blue Beetle #54 (Fox Features Syndicate, 1948) CGC VF+ 8.5Off-white pages....

The major difference being the masterful use of the mirror image which allows the viewer to see both sides of the femme fatale in BB 54, as opposed to the single frontal image for the girl in FY 21.  The other being the impression that the girl in the BB 54 cover is much more like the poorer, but sexier and sultry Ellie Mae or Daisy Mae counterpart to the obviously more elegant and sophisticated uptown girl living in her Manhattan penthouse with the fancy jewellry and decked out in her high end lingerie.  Yet both of them about to be attacked by a perpetrator just sneaking out from the corner of the cover, one being an obvious ruffian with a cheap knife while the other by a suited clad individual utilizing a much more expensive weapon of choice.  hm

Although it's clear that Blue Beetle 54 has long been recognized as a classic GGA cover pretty much right from the get go, it would seem that Fighting Yank 21 on the other hand, has been much more under appreciated and has only recently started to finally gain some recognition from the collecting base.  :taptaptap:  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/2/2019 at 8:01 PM, lou_fine said:

Speaking of Fighting Yank #21 here (of which I am apparently the only one lol), I am about to assuredely say something controversial to most of the long time collectors here .  :ph34r:

Namely, that from my own personal point of view, the Schomburg cover image for Fighting Yank #21 from a thematical point of view, bears somewhat of a striking resemblance to the much more highly acclaimed and widely recognized classic cover image for Blue Beetle 54:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Blue Beetle #54 (Fox Features Syndicate, 1948) CGC VF+ 8.5Off-white pages....

The major difference being the masterful use of the mirror image which allows the viewer to see both sides of the femme fatale in BB 54, as opposed to the single frontal image for the girl in FY 21.  The other being the impression that the girl in the BB 54 cover is much more like the poorer, but sexier and sultry Ellie Mae or Daisy Mae counterpart to the obviously more elegant and sophisticated uptown girl living in her Manhattan penthouse with the fancy jewellry and decked out in her high end lingerie.  Yet both of them about to be attacked by a perpetrator just sneaking out from the corner of the cover, one being an obvious ruffian with a cheap knife while the other by a suited clad individual utilizing a much more expensive weapon of choice.  hm

Although it's clear that Blue Beetle 54 has long been recognized as a classic GGA cover pretty much right from the get go, it would seem that Fighting Yank 21 on the other hand, has been much more under appreciated and has only recently started to finally gain some recognition from the collecting base.  :taptaptap:  :applause:

I like the cover to BB #54, but feel it's been long over rated as much as FY #21 had long been under rated. The illusion of of a topless girl (immediately countered by her reflection) has given this book a special cache that has elevated its collector status above the other GGA/crime covers of the run, but to my eyes, it doesn't particularly stand out as superior to all the rest.

28 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I like the cover to BB #54, but feel it's been long over rated as much as FY #21 had long been under rated. The illusion of of a topless girl (immediately countered by her reflection) has given this book a special cache that has elevated its collector status above the other GGA/crime covers of the run, but to my eyes, it doesn't particularly stand out as superior to all the rest.

Right there, in the inset on the cover, next to her knee...Blue Beetle smirks at your assessment.

bluebeetle54.jpg

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Right there, in the inset on the cover, next to her knee...Blue Beetle smirks at your assessment.

bluebeetle54.jpg

That looks more like an expression of confusion as to why he's no longer featured on the cover of his own title. 

18 minutes ago, telerites said:

You should have had Stan Lee slop his signature across the cover when he was alive.  

:sick:

On 9/28/2019 at 12:11 PM, rjpb said:
On 9/28/2019 at 10:54 AM, MrBedrock said:

bluebeetle54.jpg

That looks more like an expression of confusion as to why he's no longer featured on the cover of his own title.

Well, from where his face and eyeballs are, I believe the prurient smirk is really more from what he's seeing under her hot pink undies.  :blush:  lol