• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nedor/Better Publications.
5 5

458 posts in this topic

I was wondering if you gentlemen could kindly point me in the right direction. I'm looking for a list of all super-hero books put out by this publisher (is it one or two?) and any background information about the company itself. It appears it was a major player during the Golden Age but petered out around 1949-1950. thumbsup2.gif

Just for reference, I've been looking at America's Best Comics, Black Terror, Fighting Yank and Starling Comics war covers in 4.0 or higher grades. But it seems like I'm missing a title stable of the publishers somewhere. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Whet, Thrilling and Wonder are the big titles missing from your list.

From Wikipedia:

Nedor Comics was the comic book line of publisher Ned Pines, who also published pulp magazines under a variety of company names that he also used for the comics. In business from 1939 to 1956, Nedor was a prolific publisher during the Golden Age of comic books. Its best-known character is the Black Terror. In June of 1949, all comics were moved to the "Standard Comics" line, with a "Standard Comics" flag-like cover logo (all titles previously had no publisher logo, which was the norm at the time). In 1956, Standard ended and only two were continued by Pines Comics. What connection this new company had with Ned Pines and his company is unclear.

Titles from Nedor/Better/Standard:

* Adventures into Darkness (10 issues)

* Alley Oop (2 issues)

* America's Best Comics (31 issues)

* Barnyard Comics (31 issues)

* Best Comics (4 issues)

* Billy West (2 issues)

* Black Terror (27 issues)

* Boots and her Buddies (9 issues)

* Coo Coo Comics (62 issues)

* Dennis the Menace (14 issues)

* Exciting Comics (69 issues)

* Fighting Yank (29 issues)

* Goofy Comics (48 issues)

* Happy Comics (40 issues)

* Joe Yank (12 issues)

* Kathy (17 issues)

* Mystery Comics (4 issues)

* New Romances (20 issues)

* Out of the Shadows (10 issues)

* Ozark Ike (15 issues)

* Sniffy the Pup (14 issues)

* Real Life Comics (59 issues)

* Startling Comics (53 issues)

* Supermouse (34 issues)

* Thrilling Comics (80 issues)

* Wonder Comics (20 issues)

Superheroe Characters:

* American Crusader

* American Eagle

* Black Bat

* Black Terror

* Captain Future (not to be confused with the pulp hero)

* Doc Strange (Tom Strange)

* Fighting Yank

* Four Comrades

* The Ghost (also known as Green Ghost)

* Grim Reaper

* Liberator

* Lone Eagle

* The Magnet

* Mask

* Miss Masque

* The Oracle

* Princess Pantha

* Pyroman

* Scarab

* Spectro

* Scarab

* The Woman in Red

* Wonder Man

I was wondering if you gentlemen could kindly point me in the right direction. I'm looking for a list of all super-hero books put out by this publisher (is it one or two?) and any background information about the company itself. It appears it was a major player during the Golden Age but petered out around 1949-1950. thumbsup2.gif

Just for reference, I've been looking at America's Best Comics, Black Terror, Fighting Yank and Starling Comics war covers in 4.0 or higher grades. But it seems like I'm missing a title stable of the publishers somewhere. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

GCD

and search Better in the publisher field. I think that has all books from all the related imprints including Nedor.

Jack

Whet, Thrilling and Wonder are the big titles missing from your list.

And Exciting

Shhhhhhh! You weren't supposed to tell him about that one! stooges.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

Gotta love those covers that place themselves in history with their cover context - my grandmother passed away a few years ago, and one of the treasures in her desk/curio were unused gas ration stamps from WWII! thumbsup2.gif