• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nedor/Better Publications.
5 5

458 posts in this topic

Just wondering if a boardie here was fortunate enough to win this beautiful Black Terror from CL the other night:

RADB0BF42018731_131351.jpg

Definitely a racist cover here as per many of the Japanese World War 2 covers, but absolutely love the combination of the red, green, and yellow colors against the black color of Black Terror's uniform.  :luhv:  

That is a beauty.  (thumbsu

BTW, while I'll agree that the caricaturistic depictions of Japanese soldiers in WWII have apparent racist overtones, I view war mockery as nationalistic propaganda rather than racism.  German soldiers were often depicted as bald thugs. Conversely, African-Americans during this period were more blatantly mocked, made the subject of ridicule and used as props for comedy relief, now that is indeed racist.  Please understand, I'm not disagreeing with your observation, just making a fine distinction.

Speaking of Black Terror, here's a fairly recent acquisition that really puts Alex Schomburg's skill at composition and illustrating explosions to the test...

515076fb-1e53-4af5-b608-a1b6bde9625d_zps

Edited by Cat-Man_America

2 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

That is a beauty.  (thumbsu

BTW, while I'll agree that the caricaturistic depictions of Japanese soldiers in WWII have apparent racist overtones, I view war mockery as nationalistic propaganda rather than racism.  German soldiers were often depicted as bald thugs. Conversely, African-Americans during this period were more blatantly mocked, made the subject of ridicule and used as props for comedy relief, now that is indeed racist.  Please understand, I'm not disagreeing with your observation, just making a fine distinction.

Speaking of Black Terror, here's a fairly recent acquisition that really puts Alex Schomburg's skill at composition and illustrating explosions to the test...

515076fb-1e53-4af5-b608-a1b6bde9625d_zps

Wow, that's certainly a nice copy that you managed to pick up here.  :applause:

Nothing better than a classic head smacking Nazi cover by Schomburg, similar in vein to his more classic jaw smacking Hitler cover on Cap 1.  Only possible improvement on this Black Terror cover is if the Nazi he smacked had been Hitler himself.  (thumbsu

Looks like there's actually a nice copy of this book available on the CC auction website later this evening in a few short hours from now:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=775875

exc1.498a.jpg

And an Overstreet Copy to boot, with White pages to top it off.  :luhv:

Since this is considered to be a key classic cover Nedor book, I decided to report this here:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=781935

sta2.508a.jpg

For sure, this copy will not be able to match the 6-figures that the Church copy managed to get back in 2016, any opinions as to whether this copy will be able to hit the extended bid button a few more times in the after auction session to catch the equivalent graded copy that sold in Heritage a few months ago for $54,970?  hm  :taptaptap:

Since you guys on this thread here would be the Nedor afficinodos and experts with these books, I was surprised from a positive point of view with respect to the CC auction result for this Conserved copy of Exciting Comics #23:

exc1.495a.jpg

Since you guys would be the Nedor experts and this question hasn't yet been answered on the CL/CC auction thread, I figure I might have better luck here.  :bigsmile:

This Conserved copy of Exciting 23 sold for $800 or almost a whopping 2.5X Overstreet condition guide price. :whatthe:  (thumbsu

Makes me wonder if this rather surprising result is due in large part to Jon Berk whereby his landmark auction seem to have remove some of the unfair unfair and hugely negative stigma that had become associated with Conserved and restored books?  Or is it due to the apparent rarity of this book, or I imagine a combination of both.  hm

Or is it just because Nedor books are super red hot again?  :wishluck:  :flipbait:   lol

Edited by lou_fine

Once people got on board with Nedors they really haven't lost much steam. Although, I wouldn't call this rare, it certainly is common. I would go with the Jon Berk theory. Restored or conserved books in that auction were bid up at a fever pitch. They seem to have lost a little of that stigma since that auction.

20 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Since you guys on this thread here would be the Nedor afficinodos and experts with these books, I was surprised from a positive point of view with respect to the CC auction result for this Conserved copy of Exciting Comics #23:

exc1.495a.jpg

Since you guys would be the Nedor experts and this question hasn't yet been answered on the CL/CC auction thread, I figure I might have better luck here.  :bigsmile:

This Conserved copy of Exciting 23 sold for $800 or almost a whopping 2.5X Overstreet condition guide price. :whatthe:  (thumbsu

Makes me wonder if this rather surprising result is due in large part to Jon Berk whereby his landmark auction seem to have remove some of the unfair unfair and hugely negative stigma that had become associated with Conserved and restored books?  Or is it due to the apparent rarity of this book, or I imagine a combination of both.  hm

Or is it just because Nedor books are super red hot again?  :wishluck:  :flipbait:   lol

That is not a copy I would have expected to go that high.  Most restored Nedors in my day (lol) were not hot items.

1 hour ago, cheetah said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

That is not a copy I would have expected to go that high.  Most restored Nedors in my day (lol) were not hot items.

Well, welcome to the saner world of the post Jon Berk Auction time period whereby some of the irrational and unfair stigma has finally been removed from the Conserved and Restored books which had been brought about by CGC's ill-thought out implementation of their multi-colored label system.  :applause:

How perfectly appropriate and ironic since Jon had written up an entire dissertation on the merits for a simple 10-point Restoration Rating System in the pages of CBM way back in the day.  Unfortunately for the hobby, CGC never attempted to adopt some form of this rating system until it was far too late after they saw  the unintended negative consequences their multi-color labels were having on the Restored book marketplace.  hm  :frown:

In fact, even Mr. El Cheapo Guy (namely moi lol) was bidding multiples of Overstreet condition guide for some of those rare and much in demand HTF Amazing Mystery Funnies in the Jon Berk Auction even though they were sitting in a Conserved slab.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Edited by lou_fine

15 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, welcome to the saner world of the post Jon Berk Auction time period whereby some of the irrational and unfair stigma has finally been removed from the Conserved and Restored books which had been brought about by CGC's ill-thought out implementation of their multi-colored label system.  :applause:

How perfectly appropriate and ironic since Jon had written up an entire dissertation on the merits for a simple 10-point Restoration Rating System in the pages of CBM way back in the day.  Unfortunately for the hobby, CGC never attempted to adopt some form of this rating system until it was far too late after they saw  the unintended negative consequences their multi-color labels were having on the Restored book marketplace.  hm  :frown:

In fact, even El Cheapo me was bidding multiples of Overstreet condition guide for some of those rare and much in demand HTF Amazing Mystery Funnies in the Jon Berk Auction even though they were sitting in a Conserved slab.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

With only five unconserved graded copies, I guess beggars can't be choosers if you want to complete the run.  The price seemed high for even a blue label but looking at GPA, it is obvious prices have moved higher in the last few years.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Once people got on board with Nedors they really haven't lost much steam. Although, I wouldn't call this rare, it certainly is common. I would go with the Jon Berk theory. Restored or conserved books in that auction were bid up at a fever pitch. They seem to have lost a little of that stigma since that auction.

Yes, with some of the prices we have seen on Conserved and even Restored books, I would also go with the Jon Berk theory.

But with how the Black Terror books performed in the CL auction on Tuesday night and even more so, with how the Exciting's performed on CC last night, it would definitely seem that the Nedors have awakened from their sleepy doldrums and been on fire for the past couple of years.  Should be interesting to see how the Startling's do tonight, although I have always personally preferred the Black Terror covers over the Fighting Yank covers, this colorful one here certainly seems rather tantalizing and a bit titillating:  :luhv:

sta2.501a.jpg

Not sure where this copy will finish up or if it will even get any further bids since I believe it's been sitting around this same price point since last week.  hm  :taptaptap:

Nice, high grade books like this always do well in an auction.

I started collecting Nedors many years ago because. I love Schomburg’s work. I pretty much got priced out of Timelys. I found them a very affordable alternative. I’m pretty close to done on them now. Soooo glad I got started when I did!

:bump:

Fugured it's time to give this old thread a bump now that we've this huge all-time classic Nedor key is finally hitting the marketplace:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Startling Comics #10 Mile High Pedigree (Better Publicatio...

For all you Nedor aficionados, any guesses as to the final price for this copy or if it will have a chance of getting close to 6 figures if not more?  hm

Especially since this appears to be an extremely HTF book that rarely ever hits the marketplace.  Even moreso in terms of finding this book in grade, with only 14 universal graded copies and the next 2 closest copies being a CGC 8.0 graded copy followed by a CGC 6.5 graded copy.  :cloud9:

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Fugured it's time to give this old thread a bump now that we've this huge all-time classic Nedor key is finally hitting the marketplace:

When I started to put my run of all the big Nedor titles, I thought about putting the MH run back together

But then I woke up - it was a nice dream though.  I have a few but they late in the run Thrillings and not the highest grade examples.

My Startling 10 was kind of tough to find and a 4.5 (think I bought it slabbed).  The first FY - I have no idea what the hammer will be but it will be fn to track this one.

29 minutes ago, telerites said:

When I started to put my run of all the big Nedor titles, I thought about putting the MH run back together

But then I woke up - it was a nice dream though.

I imagine the only thing tougher than putting the MH Nedor run back together is to locate the SF Nedor run, if it even exists.  hm

6 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I imagine the only thing tougher than putting the MH Nedor run back together is to locate the SF Nedor run, if it even exists.  hm

Most the peds from my Nedor collection are Crippens (the poor man's ped) and do have some Rockfords, the few MHs which off the top of my head is all I have in there.  I have one SF ped which is in my National run.  

Searching HA archives, I didn't hit any SF Nedors but since there were different imprints I tried Better and hit one - Startling 6.  Nothing for SF Standard but this a was just a real quick search.  

1 hour ago, telerites said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Searching HA archives, I didn't hit any SF Nedors but since there were different imprints I tried Better and hit one - Startling 6.  Nothing for SF Standard but this a was just a real quick search.  

I imagine you must be referring to this copy here that was in the HA archives:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Startling Comics #6 (Better Publications, 1941). A terrific copy ofa title that is growing in popularity, these early St...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/startling-comics-6-better-publications-1941-a-terrific-copy-of-a-title-that-is-growing-in-popularity-these-early-st/a/802-6464.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|1

From the label, you can see that CGC has not recognized this copy to be the SF copy.  :gossip:

It actually seems rather strange that Heritage would state in their auction description that "we strongly suspect that this book comes from the San Francisco collection, but its provenance would be hard to prove."  I strongly doubt that this would be the SF copy for the sole reason that nobody has yet found any confirmed Nedor books from the SF collection to this current point in time.  hm  (shrug)