• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nedor/Better Publications.
5 5

458 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/startling-comics-6-better-publications-1941-a-terrific-copy-of-a-title-that-is-growing-in-popularity-these-early-st/a/802-6464.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|1

From the label, you can see that CGC has not recognized this copy to be the SF copy.  :gossip:

It actually seems rather strange that Heritage would state in their auction description that "we strongly suspect that this book comes from the San Francisco collection, but its provenance would be hard to prove."  I strongly doubt that this would be the SF copy for the sole reason that nobody has yet found any confirmed Nedor books from the SF collection to this current point in time.  hm  (shrug)

That is it and yep I didn't bother to look at the scan. Do some not have Reilly's stamp?  I actually thought they all did.  That is an odd statement by HA.

16 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Most do not have the stamp. I have 4 and only one does. It was found randomly by accident at WonderCon in SF one year. 

The one SF I have, I bought raw on Ebay - not advertised as a SF.  The stamp was hidden in the ad on the BC.  I didn't see it right away.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Most do not have the stamp. I have 4 and only one does. It was found randomly by accident at WonderCon in SF one year. 

Although they do not necessarily have the stamp on them, don't most of them have the tell tale signature "G" code on them somewhere?  hm

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Although they do not necessarily have the stamp on them, don't most of them have the tell tale signature "G" code on them somewhere?  hm

I wouldn't say most.  A number of them have a date stamp.

On 7/10/2019 at 6:51 PM, lou_fine said:

I imagine you must be referring to this copy here that was in the HA archives:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Startling Comics #6 (Better Publications, 1941). A terrific copy ofa title that is growing in popularity, these early St...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/startling-comics-6-better-publications-1941-a-terrific-copy-of-a-title-that-is-growing-in-popularity-these-early-st/a/802-6464.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|1

From the label, you can see that CGC has not recognized this copy to be the SF copy.  :gossip:

It actually seems rather strange that Heritage would state in their auction description that "we strongly suspect that this book comes from the San Francisco collection, but its provenance would be hard to prove."  I strongly doubt that this would be the SF copy for the sole reason that nobody has yet found any confirmed Nedor books from the SF collection to this current point in time.  hm  (shrug)

Definitely NOT the SF Copy!

47 minutes ago, Timely said:

Definitely NOT the SF Copy!

That's what I had figured.  (thumbsu

From the relatively low winning bid for this copy here, I guess none of the other bidders thought this copy had come from the SF Collection also.  

:bump:

Time to bump this thread from Page 6 back up to Page 1.

Anyways, althugh the fat lady hasn't sung yet, I would definitely be feeling a little bit edgy if I was the consignor of this book here:

RADD84C0201981_115537.jpg

Still sitting at only $16,250 or less than top of guide for this CGC 9.6 graded copy with only a day left to go on the CL auction site.  :whatthe:

Not sure if it's a case of the venue chosen by the consignor since Heritage was able to get 6-figures for the Church copy a few years ago and CC was able to get $64K for their non-pdigree copy last summer?  Or is it just a case of too many equivalent graded copies making showing up in the marketplace in too short of a time period?  hm

Or is it nothing more than a case of me being impatient as the auction still has a long way to go yet?  :taptaptap:

Books don’t always continue to go up every time they come up for sale. Even big keys like this. We are currently in a bit of a state of flux economy wise. Talk of a recession might have folks holding back a little. Maybe the timing is bad or the deep pocket guys have nice enough copies. Does seem weird though. Hopefully, the consigner will come out OK. It will sell for what it is worth on the day it closes...

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Books don’t always continue to go up every time they come up for sale. Even big keys like this. We are currently in a bit of a state of flux economy wise. Talk of a recession might have folks holding back a little. Maybe the timing is bad or the deep pocket guys have nice enough copies. Does seem weird though. Hopefully, the consigner will come out OK. It will sell for what it is worth on the day it closes...

If you are a consignor, lots of time it really depends on your luck in terms of both timing and also having the right set of eyeballs on that particular auction.  :wishluck:

For all of you Nedor aficionados on these boards here, what is your impression of this result last night for this book here:

RAD7B27E2019730_123235.jpg

Although there were no last minute bids at the end, I thought it was still a pretty stong price at $4,700 relative to its assigned CGC grade.

Personally for myself though, I've always preferred the seemingly harder to find Fighting Yank 21 GGA cover over this particular KKK cover myself.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

For all of you Nedor aficionados on these boards here, what is your impression of this result last night for this book here:

Although there were no last minute bids at the end, I thought it was still a pretty stong price at $4,700 relative to its assigned CGC grade.

Personally for myself though, I've always preferred the seemingly harder to find Fighting Yank 21 GGA cover over this particular KKK cover myself.  (thumbsu

Great book. Not a fan of the freaky Fighting Yank, so I actively avoid his cover appearances. Price seems strong.

28 minutes ago, circumstances said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Great book. Not a fan of the freaky Fighting Yank, so I actively avoid his cover appearances. Price seems strong.

Since I am way too lazy to retype what I just wrote, this is a copy and paste of what I just said on the CLink thread:

Just took a quick look at the Heritage archives and it looks like this book doesn't really come to market that often.  In fact, there's only been 2 graded copies that have sold on Heritage with one of them being a CGC 8.0 graded copy that sold for $2,390; with the only other graded copy being one that sold way back in 2002.  Looks like Metro has had more luck with this book as their CC auctions indicate a total of 5 graded copies auctioned off over the years.  hm

Looks like the Fighting Yank 21 is indeed much scarcer as their census count comes in at half of the count as compared to the Fighting Yank 23.  In addition, it looks like Heritage has scored only a big fat ZERO when it comes to graded copies of this HTF book here, although they did have a couple of raw copies way back in 2004.  Once again, it looks like Metro has had better luck with this book in terms of 3 copies on their CC auctions, but all 3 only in low to mid-grade range.  :takeit:

On 8/27/2019 at 6:32 PM, lou_fine said:
On 8/27/2019 at 1:39 PM, Robot Man said:

If you are a consignor, lots of time it really depends on your luck in terms of both timing and also having the right set of eyeballs on that particular auction.  :wishluck:

Now that the auction for the Startling 49 is over and definitely did not do as well as expected, it looks like an alternative strategy to prevent this scenario from taking place is to set a reserve on the book, similar to what the consignor of the Tomb of Dracula 10 did.  hm

It certainly helps to push the price right up there with one day to go to see if there are any potential crazy bidders up in that upper stratosphere when there are none at the lower levels.  (thumbsu

On 8/28/2019 at 12:24 PM, lou_fine said:

Since I finished the run of the major Nedor/Better superhero titles, I really don't track the books anymore so I missed this.  I wish I would have kept records of when I bought my issues and what I paid for each.  I also don't remember for many of them which I bought raw and which were already slabbed.  My copy of this issue. Old label and note Classic Cover is not notated as on the newer slabs.  

1511120752131.jpg

Edited by telerites

7 minutes ago, telerites said:

Since I finished the run of the major Nedor/Better superhero titles, I really don't track the books anymore so I missed this.  I wish I would have kept records of when I bought my issues and what I paid for each.  I also don't remember for many of them which I bought raw and which were already slabbed.  My copy of this issue. Old label and note Classic Cover is not notated as on the newer slabs.  

1511120752131.jpg

That's a beautiful copy and definitely one that you would be able to sell for a lot more than whatever you had to pay for it before.  :luhv: :applause:

Would you also happen to have a readily available scanned copy of your Fighting Yank #21 which you could post for us here to take a gander at?   :wishluck: