• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gerber 7's and above please! Can I see a 10?

661 posts in this topic

Another Gerber 8. Purchased from LCS. Apparently, a handful of comics and the Comics Calendar in my last post were found in the top of a closet by someone cleaning out their house. I snagged a few.

captainaero6.jpg

From The Comics Journal #91:

"Will Eisner will sell part of his personal archives, mostly made up of duplicates or triplicates of library or file copies for items Eisner created, authorized for reprint, or, in some cases, published himself.

The rarest item being sold is a comic book called Tab, The Weekly Comic. Tab was produced in 1947 by Eisner and his studio, and it contain (sic) art by Eisner, Lou Fine, Chuck Mazoujian, Klaus Nordling, and others. Only three copies of Tab are known to exist.

Of the three extant copies, Eisner retained one for his home files. Another is in Kitchen Sink Publisher Denis Kitchen's personal collection, and the third coy is being put on sale.

Also available s Jack Tar, a full-color comic book roduced by Eisner's studio, and is believed to be the only copy. Neither Jack Tar nor Tab are listed in Overstreet's Comic Book Price Guide, since their existence was not known until recently."

I had never heard of these.

Cross post from the Hitler cover thread...

Mean Scamp-f - Hitler bashing comic published by McKay in the Feature Book format. Library Of Congress copy.

87093.jpg

Bell Serviceman #2 - Classified comic for training Bell aircraft technicians.

87094.jpg

Neither is listed in the Guide or Gerber.

The rarest item being sold is a comic book called Tab, The Weekly Comic. Tab was produced in 1947 by Eisner and his studio, and it contain (sic) art by Eisner, Lou Fine, Chuck Mazoujian, Klaus Nordling, and others. Only three copies of Tab are known to exist.

You haven't heard of it because I believe it is an ashcan. From the Ohio St. archives of Eisner's work comes this description of their copy:

16 tab, the Weekly Comic

Four-color dummy edition.

Includes Nubbin, Wendy, Skip Sudden, Dusty, Kewpies, The Tickles by Klaus Nordling, Gimmick the Magician, The World's Greatest Stories, Midge by Vic Herman, Dodo at Home, The Life and Loves of Lola March, Melba, Private Eye-Ful.

Bell Serviceman #2 - Classified comic for training Bell aircraft technicians.

87094.jpg

Classified???????? :popcorn:

Check the fine print at the bottom of the cover.

From Wikipedia and other sources:

• During and before World War II, the U.S. had a category of classified information called restricted, which was below confidential...The U.S. had a Restricted level [of classified information] during World War II but no longer does.

Don't worry, this comic should be automatically declassified by now due to its age.