• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gerber 7's and above please! Can I see a 10?

661 posts in this topic

I only have a few, but here are my Gerber 7's and above...

Gerber 8:

Captain%20Marvel%20Thrill%20Book_lte.jpg

This copy is likely one of the best out there. Very hard to find above 2.0. (thumbs u

I was offered the Mile High copy back in 1991 for $5000 but I passed. It was graded NM back then.

I should warn you that buying this set may be hazardous to your wallet. The books aren't expensive, but once you see what's inside, you might be seriously hooked on Golden Age.

Hi walclark, thank you. I remember when the 2-set book came out, and I dreamed to buy it (imagine how little an italian reader could know of the golden age about 20 years ago). The book, however, was pretty expensive and back then it was not easy to order abroad, so I preferred to concentrate my little money on the silver age Marvel books I collected.

Problem would not present itself, right now, or maybe it would just worsen my condition: a research started on italian wartime comics led me back to the golden age of comic books as well and… I am already hooked. :(

It will be an exercise in balance… :)

@Et-Es-Go: That blazing comics cover has quite an unique quality to it.

And your Catman avatar is really nice… :)

Gerber 8:

This copy is likely one of the best out there. Very hard to find above 2.0. (thumbs u

I was offered the Mile High copy back in 1991 for $5000 but I passed. It was graded NM back then.

Wow. Wonder where it is now. hm

Gerber 8:

Is this a one off, like an annual or something?

It is not the normal comic book size, which is probably one reason why it is so scarce.

Keep in mind the Gerber Journal was published in 1989 before the internet and before the census that we all now take for granted so don't put too much faith in these scarcity ratings. Back then resto was a hot debate: good or bad? Should I or leave it alone? Increase the value or hurt it etc. Cleaning was considered by many to be a good thing and not resto. This guide even suggests it's a good thing and doesn't count as resto. Wow have times changed. Here's my Gerber 7 which for some strange reason continues to be at the top of the census. Whenever Heritage offers their runs of Church/other high grade Green Lanterns, #5 is always absent. Can't figure out the mystery behind this issue but here's mine. hm

124186.jpg.8b46d66da3c365dc09da4a257e221a78.jpg

Keep in mind the Gerber Journal was published in 1989 before the internet and before the census that we all now take for granted so don't put too much faith in these scarcity ratings. Back then resto was a hot debate: good or bad? Should I or leave it alone? Increase the value or hurt it etc. Cleaning was considered by many to be a good thing and not resto. This guide even suggests it's a good thing and doesn't count as resto. Wow have times changed. Here's my Gerber 7 which for some strange reason continues to be at the top of the census. Whenever Heritage offers their runs of Church/other high grade Green Lanterns, #5 is always absent. Can't figure out the mystery behind this issue but here's mine. hm

I think perhaps the mystery is many copies were missing the centerfold. I've had at least 3 where the Centerfold was out...I don't remember if it's a special picture that people would want to take out, but it took me a while to find a complete copy. Nice copy!

Keep in mind the Gerber Journal was published in 1989 before the internet and before the census that we all now take for granted so don't put too much faith in these scarcity ratings.

We have had a bunch of discussions over the years regarding the accuracy of the Gerber ratings. Presumably the threads are still somewhere for someone to find.

Clearly, the numbers of books assigned to each Gerber rating (ie, Gerber 8 = 20 copies, or whatever it is) is inaccurate for most of the books 25 years later, but in general - with some exceptions - I would still say the scarcity ratings are fairly accurate, ie., Gerber 8s are rarer than 7s, 9s are still rarer than 8s, etc.

The GL #5 Mile High has been "Missing" for decades. An offer of 10X guide was placed on the book if it ever surfaced, it never did. Either Church did not acquire one or the book was sold early on and has not been rediscovered. If the Church copy exists and is not coded, it may never be found.

Whenever Heritage offers their runs of Church/other high grade Green Lanterns, #5 is always absent. Can't figure out the mystery behind this issue but here's mine. hm

Very nice copies of GL 5, mike and 86C. I don't know what the mystery is behind this particular issue, but it's a fantastic book and I love my copy (bone white pages):

100_1190.jpg