• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gerber 7's and above please! Can I see a 10?

661 posts in this topic

GL #5 is also nice in that besides being a nice war cover, that irritating mistake Doiby Dickles isn't there ruining it. He just might be the worst comic book sidekick ever or at least one of them.

GL #5 is also nice in that besides being a nice war cover, that irritating mistake Doiby Dickles isn't there ruining it. He just might be the worst comic book sidekick ever or at least one of them.

I don't know, The Flash's 3 sidekicks Winky, Blinky & Noddy might be worse.

Why?

Because there are THREE of them! lol

I have to take an individual pic, but the giant Classics book in the lower left is a Gerber "9".

GroupShot.jpg

I was surprised to see copies (spread out over three dealers) of the three Classics Illustrated Giants at Terry's Cal Comic Con in January, including two copies of this book. A private collector bought one of each, and had an instant run. Pretty cool.

I have to take an individual pic, but the giant Classics book in the lower left is a Gerber "9".

GroupShot.jpg

I was surprised to see copies (spread out over three dealers) of the three Classics Illustrated Giants at Terry's Cal Comic Con in January, including two copies of this book. A private collector bought one of each, and had an instant run. Pretty cool.

Wow, that is surprising. Do you remember the asking prices?

Keep in mind the Gerber Journal was published in 1989 before the internet and before the census that we all now take for granted so don't put too much faith in these scarcity ratings.

We have had a bunch of discussions over the years regarding the accuracy of the Gerber ratings. Presumably the threads are still somewhere for someone to find.

Clearly, the numbers of books assigned to each Gerber rating (ie, Gerber 8 = 20 copies, or whatever it is) is inaccurate for most of the books 25 years later, but in general - with some exceptions - I would still say the scarcity ratings are fairly accurate, ie., Gerber 8s are rarer than 7s, 9s are still rarer than 8s, etc.

......It's the 4's, 5's, and 6's where the lines blur......market conditions would influence perceived scarcity at those levels. I still check Gerber Indexes when I get a new book. It seems obvious to me that Gerber was making a serious effort with his rankings. Even after all these years, I'm still in awe of his Herculean effort......the GA market would be a pale shadow of itself, had he not intervined. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I don't know, The Flash's 3 sidekicks Winky, Blinky & Noddy might be worse.

Why?

Because there are THREE of them! lol

The comic relief sidekick. A grand tradition if not always well executed. In comics the best of them was Woozy Winks, thanks to the genius of Jack Cole and the humorous bent of the Plastic Man books in general. Doiby never bothered me when I first read reprinted GA GL stories, maybe because he was in the feisty cabbie tradition of The Shadow's Moe Shrevnitz, and GL always seemed like a "fun" superhero rather than a darkly serious one.

I've only read one issue of All-Flash, and Winky, Blinky and Noddy seemed to take up too much of story for my taste and their three stooges like antics weren't actually funny. But it was decades ago that I read the comic, and my adolescent fanboy mind was likely hostile to the humorous sidekick notion from the start.

For me, the worst is Percival Popp, who not only took over the Spectre's strip, relegating him to a supporting character, but was completely at odds with the eerie supernatural quality of the character as originally conceived.

While undeniably racist in their caricatures, I've always had a soft spot for Ebony White and Chop Chop, mainly due to Eisner's superior writing with the former and Jack Cole's brilliant back up strip for the latter.

Record001.jpg

Great stuff, Bo!

I've had 2 of those over the years, one LOW grade, and another that's about VF+, and as par for the course sold them...^&%$ it. At least I can go visit the latter copy whenever I want. The stories in this one are hilarious and the Superman parody, with Supes smoking, with a bottle of booze is pure pre-Mad, madness. And leave it to Bo to find one! Way to go!!

4731565884_56fb584a4c_b.jpg

Has anyone seen a complete copy of this Strange Story Comics yet? There were a couple of pages or art floating around, but has anyone seen a complete copy, perhaps even an ashcan?

When I worked at Heritage I did the write-up for the cover art to Strange Story Comics. It was beautiful work, by Bob Fujitani if I remember correctly.

4731565884_56fb584a4c_b.jpg

Has anyone seen a complete copy of this Strange Story Comics yet? There were a couple of pages or art floating around, but has anyone seen a complete copy, perhaps even an ashcan?

When I worked at Heritage I did the write-up for the cover art to Strange Story Comics. It was beautiful work, by Bob Fujitani if I remember correctly.

What about the Boy Heroes Comics shown underneath? Does it exist? The cover looks interesting!

This Funny Page is a Gerber 7 which hard to find in any shape

100_3777.jpg

....I've lusted after that cover ever since I first saw it in the Gerbers.....and a 7 is probably an understatement on most of the Centaurs...GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u