• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rookie mistake!

54 posts in this topic

It happens occasionally, but you don't want to admit it - a seller has something you want, but you ignore the fact that his descriptions are vague, he has a no return policy, and most importantly, he has cropped scans in his auctions. And then through a combination of stupidity and wishful thinking you pull the trigger. We've all been there, but after 6 years, you'd think I'd learn not to get hosed like this....

I won a Werewolf By Night 1 in advertized NM for $200 (yeah, I know, I could've bought a slabbed one for not that much more) from ebay seller norsemanic which turned out to be about VF, maybe slightly worse. The defects that keep the book out of the NM range are two thin spider-creases running parallel to the right hand edge, which, you guessed it, were presumably cropped out of the scan as I certainly don't recall seeing them (the scan in question has been removed).

After sending numerous emails explaining my position, he finally replies, stating that "I have a no returns policy as stated in the auction, but in order to be accomodating, I'll refund your shipping fee". Yeah, $14 will sort me out. yeahok.gif

I of course reply several times that that isn't good enough, and would like to return the book anyway, as it was misrepresented. No reply has been forthcoming.

It's a classic ebay situation which 99.9 times out of a hundred I easily sidestep. The seller does have a decent feedback rating, with plenty of glowing praise about his grading from recent transactions. Which shows you how reliable FB is, of course.

His auctions and feedback...

I must've been drunk not to have noticed this nonsensical and deliberately vague disclaimer under his scans which supposedly explains why his scans are cropped:-

Border where present is is so you can see edges against white background

Yep, that means a lot.

Sorry, had to vent. 893censored-thumb.gif

frown.gif

Seen his many auctions in the past, some of his pics were real hard to gauge a grade but some were clear as day, and they were definately over graded.

frown.gif

Seen his many auctions in the past, some of his pics were real hard to gauge a grade but some were clear as day, and they were definately over graded.

And yet there's the glowing feedback...even now I find that astounding.

It happens occasionally, but you don't want to admit it - a seller has something you want, but you ignore the fact that his descriptions are vague, he has a no return policy, and most importantly, he has cropped scans in his auctions. And then through a combination of stupidity and wishful thinking you pull the trigger. We've all been there, but after 6 years, you'd think I'd learn not to get hosed like this....

frown.gif

I think you're right...at one time or another, most of us have succumbed to such an auction against our better judgment. Sometimes you just want too much to believe that you can land a great deal, or it's some book you've wanted for a really long time...and you gamble a bit & don't come out on top. Sorry to hear it, friend.

frown.gif

And yet there's the glowing feedback...even now I find that astounding.

I have learned in my little time buying and selling on ebay that feedback sometimes means nothing. Sometimes they will leave positive to avoid getting a retaliation negative

frown.gif

I think you're right...at one time or another, most of us have succumbed to such an auction against our better judgment. Sometimes you just want too much to believe that you can land a great deal, or it's some book you've wanted for a really long time...and you gamble a bit & don't come out on top. Sorry to hear it, friend.

It's cool, at least I got to vent.

Oh man, sorry to hear that. I use a very simple rule of thumb when gambling on eBay, and I have NEVER, let me repeat that, NEVER been burned when buying raw. Sure, I have had to return stuff or sell stuff for what I paid, but I haven't taken more than a $20 loss on anything I took a chance on.

Here is the rule (and I am paraphrasing Donut, who put it best).

Take the sellers grade and drop it by 1-2 full points, depending on the scan. Take half of that new grade's guide value, and that's your ceiling. That way, even if the book is a dud, you still only paid maybe 50% of guide and can still dump it for what you paid or slightly more. Sure, I may get outbid every now and then with that method, but I have also sidestepped a LOT of land mines. The discipline is sticking to the system and not deviating from it unless you know the seller.

Oh man, sorry to hear that. I use a very simple rule of thumb when gambling on eBay, and I have NEVER, let me repeat that, NEVER been burned when buying raw. Sure, I have had to return stuff or sell stuff for what I paid, but I haven't taken more than a $20 loss on anything I took a chance on.

Here is the rule (and I am paraphrasing Donut, who put it best).

Take the sellers grade and drop it by 1-2 full points, depending on the scan. Take half of that new grade's guide value, and that's your ceiling. That way, even if the book is a dud, you still only paid maybe 50% of guide and can still dump it for what you paid or slightly more. Sure, I may get outbid every now and then with that method, but I have also sidestepped a LOT of land mines. The discipline is sticking to the system and not deviating from it unless you know the seller.

A very good system, although after 6 years I generally stick to who I know, plus I wrongly assumed that I was aware of who to avoid. Fact is, if norsemanic had decent scans or a professional return policy I would've been okay - it was the large FB score that got me. I guess there are still a lot of dodgy longtime sellers I've not tangled with...

I have bought a couple of SA x-men from him a while ago, and his grading was only 0.5-1.0 off, which i obviously took as a real treat. If you add the fact that he shipped them in an envelope only bagged they may eventually have been in advertised condition at time of shipping tongue.gif

Sorry to hear your loss, excellent feedback is no guarantee. As we all know between the Spoons on ebay who doesnt know what they are doing and leaves positive feedback for package received and the people who fear retaliate negs' it is even less transparent than ever. Then again, i did leave him positive for my 0.5's off shipped in a non-padded envelope, so... confused-smiley-013.gif

I have bought a couple of SA x-men from him a while ago, and his grading was only 0.5-1.0 off, which i obviously took as a real treat. If you add the fact that he shipped them in an envelope only bagged they may eventually have been in advertised condition at time of shipping tongue.gif

Sorry to hear your loss, excellent feedback is no guarantee. As we all know between the Spoons on ebay who doesnt know what they are doing and leaves positive feedback for package received and the people who fear retaliate negs' it is even less transparent than ever. Then again, i did leave him positive for my 0.5's off shipped in a non-padded envelope, so... confused-smiley-013.gif

I guess he's getting better...? He shipped mine using the sandwich method wink.gif

I couldn't agree more that E-bay's negative system is flawed or outright *spoon* up

when you call up the worst seller on e-bay and he hasn't received a Negative or Nuetral in over a year. I don't know how many of you will agree with me that Samco1 is the worst seller or grader on e-bay.

I think e-bay should change their system so that as soon as the buyer has paid and lived up to their end of the transaction they should automatically get a positive.

That would make it interesting to see how many of these sellers that know better try to improve their grading. sign-rantpost.gif

I've said it before, but I still think it's a great idea about how not to get burned...

Before you bid on something, ALWAYS send the seller some email and ask about

their return policy. And unless it's returns-gladly-accepted, then stay far away.

It literally only takes about 30 seconds to send something like this. I simply

won't do business (no matter what they're selling) with someone who won't

return my money if I'm not happy with the deal.

gozer

-----------------------

Isn't there a pound where you can pick up cheap ponies that ran away from home?