• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rookie mistake!

54 posts in this topic

I was thinking about going for some of his items awhile back, thx for the heads up! You can claim back through paypal, as his items are not as described, there is a big difference to NM and VF. It's almost like a new pair of Levi's and ones that have been worn 6-10 times, 27_laughing.gif. I also think if you read somewhere that it's against ebays policies to say no returns, especialy on items that are not as stated, contact ebays safe harbour.

herc

The seller does have a decent feedback rating, with plenty of glowing praise about his grading from recent transactions.

And yet there's the glowing feedback...even now I find that astounding.

...it was the large FB score that got me.

Where's his negative feedback from you? gossip.gif

I was thinking about going for some of his items awhile back, thx for the heads up! You can claim back through paypal, as his items are not as described, there is a big difference to NM and VF. It's almost like a new pair of Levi's and ones that have been worn 6-10 times, 27_laughing.gif. I also think if you read somewhere that it's against ebays policies to say no returns, especialy on items that are not as stated, contact ebays safe harbour.

herc

Yeah, I'll be going down that road...

herc

Yeah, I'll be going down that road...

makepoint.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

The seller does have a decent feedback rating, with plenty of glowing praise about his grading from recent transactions.

I'll let you know when you provide this board with evidence that you actually collect comic books. makepoint.gif

I'll let you know when you provide this board with evidence that you actually collect comic books. makepoint.gif

poke2.gif

poke2.gif
yeahok.gif

I couldn't agree more that E-bay's negative system is flawed or outright *spoon* up

when you call up the worst seller on e-bay and he hasn't received a Negative or Nuetral in over a year. I don't know how many of you will agree with me that Samco1 is the worst seller or grader on e-bay.

I think e-bay should change their system so that as soon as the buyer has paid and lived up to their end of the transaction they should automatically get a positive.

That would make it interesting to see how many of these sellers that know better try to improve their grading. sign-rantpost.gif

Ahhhhhh....., Samco1 is nowhere near the worst grader on eBay, he just has that semblance of professionalism..., until you scroll through his four pages of whiney *spoon* about why eBay bidders suck. I've gotten taken by him several times - there will not be a third time.

Not the worst, but one to definitely avoid.

Goldust...sorry to hear you got suckered by Norsemanic's good feedback but don't worry, you are not alone. I bought a Silver Surfer #4 off him advertised as VF...I could tell from the scan it was slightly overgraded and bid accordingly. I won and it arrived almost a month later Christo_pull_hair.gif and at first glance appeared to be in the Fine plus range until I opened it and discovered a 3-inch spine split! I went back and forth with the seller who gave me the same line he gave you. I eventually convinced him to accept the return and when he did receive it, he tells me that the comic definitely did not have that spine split when he sent it and that it must have been a result of postal damage. Of course the package was completely intact and showed no unusual signs of bad handling, so I found it hilarious that a spine could somehow separate itself during transit while suffering no other damage yeahok.gif

Regardless, he said he would refund my money and pursue a claim with the USPS since the package had been insured. Total bullsheet but I didn't care as long as I got my money back first, which he surprisingly did refund. But get this...since the book took SO long to get to me, in the meantime I bid and won another of his auctions. After he finally agreed to accept the return, he said he thinks it would be best if we just mutually agreed to negate our other transaction since he feels we have differences in grading styles and fears I might be unhappy with the second book as well. 893blahblah.gif That was fine with me, but I found it very amusing that he didn't want to do any more business with me since he realized I wasn't one of his usual *spoon* buyers who accept eBay grading "sub-standards"

So anyway I got lucky with this guy by persisting (very nicely) and perhaps if you don't give up he will accept your return as well. It never ceases to amaze me how many high-volume sellers there are like him on eBay who have great feedback despite blatant over-grading and poor customer service. It KILLS me that they often get better prices for their stuff than I do for similar auctions that feature accurate grades, big UNCROPPED scans and a no-questions asked return policy! Christo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gifmad.gif

Oh man, sorry to hear that. I use a very simple rule of thumb when gambling on eBay, and I have NEVER, let me repeat that, NEVER been burned when buying raw. Sure, I have had to return stuff or sell stuff for what I paid, but I haven't taken more than a $20 loss on anything I took a chance on.

Here is the rule (and I am paraphrasing Donut, who put it best).

Take the sellers grade and drop it by 1-2 full points, depending on the scan. Take half of that new grade's guide value, and that's your ceiling. That way, even if the book is a dud, you still only paid maybe 50% of guide and can still dump it for what you paid or slightly more. Sure, I may get outbid every now and then with that method, but I have also sidestepped a LOT of land mines. The discipline is sticking to the system and not deviating from it unless you know the seller.

thumbsup2.gif Actually, I very rarely buy raw books anymore. I too, have been burned. When I still was buying them, I used pretty much the same formula as October. I would drop the grade about 1.0 then pay one-half of guide. Even then, believe it or not, the deals often turned out to be about "break-even." In other words, I pretty much got what I paid for.

These days, high-grade raw books just don't seem to be worth what they ask for. I look at it like this. I know a reputable dealer who has a 9.2 X-Men book that he wants to sell me. GPA for a slabbed book is about $150. Probably the cheapest I could get the book would be $100 - $120. Grading & shipping is going to be ~$30. Therefore, if the seller was perfectly accurate on the grade, I might get a bit of a discount by the time all is said and done. However, it is almost as likely that the book gets a 9.0 - sellers almost never undergrade. Then I have a book that I have ~$140 invested in that is worth $100.

IMO, I'm better off spending the money for the CGC book.

Unless the book is sold for about half of guide, the numbers just don't work out for me.

CycleGirl

If you paid by credit card through paypal, you can return it via UPS (signature required). Then file a charge back with the CC company. You will get refunded as the item was not as described and there is verified return. Keep a scan of the book you return and all other records of course. Also verify with your CC company is acceptable asproof of delivery. Some CC companies do not accept UPS or USPS delivery confirmation.

As was previously mentioned, use eBay's own procedures to try to get your refund.

Item Not Received or Significantly Not as Described Process

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/inr-snad-process.html

It may be worth the effort. I've heard that if enough buyers file against a particular seller, eBay will take action against the seller's account.

In the meanwhile, if anyone is interested, all of his current auctions are in violation of the "keyword spamming" rule - you have to scroll down past the pictures to see the titles listed. Report the sucker and close 'em down!

Larry

As was previously mentioned, use eBay's own procedures to try to get your refund.

Item Not Received or Significantly Not as Described Process

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/inr-snad-process.html

It may be worth the effort. I've heard that if enough buyers file against a particular seller, eBay will take action against the seller's account.

In the meanwhile, if anyone is interested, all of his current auctions are in violation of the "keyword spamming" rule - you have to scroll down past the pictures to see the titles listed. Report the sucker and close 'em down!

Larry

Thanks Larry - I've already initiated Paypal proceedings against him (the Item Not Received Process is with them now).

I'm thinking of leaving a Neg right now, despite the fact that this process is ongoing. He's already made it clear by email that he is not willing to negotiate at all.

It's happened to me before as well, and I'm learning more and more to stick with certain sellers, who usually end up here more often than not. But at least we've got another name to add to the "list" of sellers to avoid or be wary of.

as you have decided to close the last thread i have jumped onto this one.

i have found the number of the auction in question as you did not obviously believe me and it was actually 75 issues nor 55 (including ASM 238).

check out item number 160050855009.

it actually sold for £43 to kevinj7856 on 21 November 2006 that is over 2 months ago.

he has not had the courtesy to let makaveli_7dt know how happy he was or that he had received them.

also check out number 160051654533, this is a CGC graded 9.8 McGuinnes Thor variant to the civil war series, he got it for £12.62 and he has also not let makaveli_7dt know how happy he was to get this valuable item for less than it costs to send it to CGC????

now you tell me that you don't find this dodgy....same auction......3 times.......different winners .............no feedback................come on!!!!!!

below is what was won.................for the third time by someone for only £43

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: 207-535 (75 Issues)

This large 75 issue collection of Amazing Spider-Man begins with issue 207 and runs through all the way to 535 which is the current issue. It spans over two decades and includes many key issues as detailed below including 238 the first appearance of the Hobgoblin and 361 the first appearance of Carnage.

If the bidding reaches £375 i will also include a STRICT NM copy of ASM 300, the first appearance of Venom who is set to debut in the new movie next year.

Please feel free to ask any questions!

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (1963)

Amazing Spider-Man 207 - FN+

Amazing Spider-Man 208 - VF/NM

Amazing Spider-Man 209 - VF+

Amazing Spider-Man 236 - NM-

Amazing Spider-Man 238 - FN/VF (1st Hobgoblin)

Amazing Spider-Man 240 - FN-

Amazing Spider-Man 244 - VF/NM

Amazing Spider-Man 260 - VF+ (small thumbnail price sticker on back)

Amazing Spider-Man 261 - VF/NM

Amazing Spider-Man 267 - VF+

Amazing Spider-Man 271 - VF+

Amazing Spider-Man 271 - FN

Amazing Spider-Man 272 - VF/NM

Amazing Spider-Man 273 - FN

Amazing Spider-Man 277 - FN-

Amazing Spider-Man 280 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 285 - VF+

Amazing Spider-Man 287 - VF/NM

Amazing Spider-Man 303 - FN+ (small thumbnail price sticker on front)

Amazing Spider-Man 304 - VF- (small thumbnail price sticker on front)

Amazing Spider-Man 313 - VF-

Amazing Spider-Man 323 - VF

Amazing Spider-Man 324 - VF+

Amazing Spider-Man 327 - VF+

Amazing Spider-Man 329 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 330 - VF

Amazing Spider-Man 338 - VF/NM

Amazing Spider-Man 350 - --- (Structurly NM, needs pressing)

Amazing Spider-Man 351 - FN (Small tear top of spine)

Amazing Spider-Man 352 - FN+ (small thumbnail price sticker on back)

Amazing Spider-Man 353 - NM- (small thumbnail price sticker on back)

Amazing Spider-Man 354 - VF/NM (small thumbnail price sticker on back)

Amazing Spider-Man 355 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 359 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 360 - VF+

Amazing Spider-Man 361 - NM (First Print. 1st Carnage)

Amazing Spider-Man 361 - NM (Rare Second Print Silver Variant)

Amazing Spider-Man 365 - NM (Silver Hologram Cover)

Amazing Spider-Man 368 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 368 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 370 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 375 - NM (Gold Venom Cover)

Amazing Spider-Man 378 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 379 - NM-

Amazing Spider-Man 438 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 438 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 502 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 521 - VF/NM

Amazing Spider-Man 528 - VF/NM (Spider-Ham Colour 1:8 Variant)

Amazing Spider-Man 532 - NM (Second Print Variant)

Amazing Spider-Man 535 - NM-

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN V2 (1999)

Amazing Spider-Man 9 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 10 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 14 - NM-

Amazing Spider-Man 16 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 19 - NM- (Venom)

Amazing Spider-Man 28 - NM-

Amazing Spider-Man 29 - NM (Return of Mary Jane)

Amazing Spider-Man 30 - NM (First JMS. J. Scott Campbell)

Amazing Spider-Man 40 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 46 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 46 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 48 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 48 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 49 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 49 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 51 - NM-

Amazing Spider-Man 54 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 54 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 55 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 55 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 56 - NM

Amazing Spider-Man 56 - NM

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL (1964)

Amazing Spider-Man Annual 26 - NM (Venom. Small thumbnail price sticker on front)

Amazing Spider-Man Annual 27 - NM