• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

On 4/6/2018 at 7:14 AM, mysterio said:

Picked this up in last night’s Clink auction action. Now I just need #106 to have a mini run of #105-111 in affordable grade. 

516A1395-6711-4283-8E65-331E940956D0.jpeg

I'm so jealous! My 107 is cover less.( But at least it found a good Flashy home) I've heard 106 is harder to come by than 105. Is that true?

On 4/7/2018 at 5:12 PM, flashlites said:

I'm so jealous! My 107 is cover less.( But at least it found a good Flashy home) I've heard 106 is harder to come by than 105. Is that true?

Of the books in this range of numbers I tend to see fewer #106s. But, this is also a title that I have interest in but don’t follow like a hawk.

Flash fans, I'm so glad to find this topic in the CGC! I've been collecting Flash for many years. I'm working hard to put together a complete SA run this time around. How many of you out there have a complete run? Besides the key issues are there any others you have had trouble tracking down?

1 hour ago, flashlites said:

Flash fans, I'm so glad to find this topic in the CGC! I've been collecting Flash for many years. I'm working hard to put together a complete SA run this time around. How many of you out there have a complete run? Besides the key issues are there any others you have had trouble tracking down?

For me, the first 20 issues are tough to find in a 7.5+ grade.  They just don't come up for sale that often.  I have quite a few from the SA, but a complete set is years away for me right now.  Happy hunting!

7 hours ago, flashlites said:

Would you pay $150 for a coverless #123 if you thought you'd never be able to afford one with a cover? (Suffering from 123 envy!) I had 2 copies in the 90's!! Arrrrrrgh!

Last I checked coverless copies were selling for about $100, and that was 2-3 years ago. I wouldn’t have a problem with the market having moved up on it, it’s a super key in my eyes. 

4 minutes ago, flashlites said:

My first upgade! Very modest. I've been trying to hold off on upgrades in order to put all my funds towards completing the run. But I couldn't resist. (At least I have one with a cover now!)

1523830002206-1180817713.jpg

It was graded 3.5 but I would have graded it a 2.0. Grading seems to have changed quite a bit since the 90's.

19 hours ago, flashlites said:

Would you pay $150 for a coverless #123 if you thought you'd never be able to afford one with a cover? (Suffering from 123 envy!) I had 2 copies in the 90's!! Arrrrrrgh!

No, that's too much -- a copy missing only the back cover went for $71 in January -- and coverless for anything but GA is usually a very bad idea. Try to save up $250, and while you're doing that keep your eyes out because you'll probably see something near your original $150 while you wait.

Edited by Greenlake

1 hour ago, Greenlake said:

No, that's too much - a copy missing only the back cover went for $71 in January -- and coverless for anything but GA is generally a bad idea. Try to save up $250, and while you're doing that keep your eyes out because you'll probably eventually see something near your original $150 while you wait.

Thanks! I think I will pass on that coverless copy then. I'll save up and try waiting a bit. Plus I really love that cover! I collect GA flash too, so that issue is very special to me. I'll have to get one eventually. When did the price go up? When I bought mine in the 90's I think I paid $130 for what would have been 7.5-8.0 copy. I even had a 3.0 copy that was probably like $40??

Edited by flashlites

18 hours ago, Greenlake said:
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:51 PM, flashlites said:

No, that's too much -- a copy missing only the back cover went for $71 in January -- and coverless for anything but GA is usually a very bad idea. Try to save up $250, and while you're doing that keep your eyes out because you'll probably see something near your original $150 while you wait.

While I don't disagree that he should wait and find the right copy for that $150, coverless copies have sold for more than the $71 you quoted. I think the person that got that book with the front cover got a pretty good deal, as I have sold similar copies for at/over $100. Getting closer to $100 would be better (obviously), but I don't think it an unreasonable market price for a coverless #123.

6 hours ago, mysterio said:

While I don't disagree that he should wait and find the right copy for that $150, coverless copies have sold for more than the $71 you quoted. I think the person that got that book with the front cover got a pretty good deal, as I have sold similar copies for at/over $100. Getting closer to $100 would be better (obviously), but I don't think it an unreasonable market price for a coverless #123.

Its just hard to believe that its gone up so much! I mean it was always a must have book for a Flash collector but now everybody's got to have one!!?? I would hate to have to settle for a coverless copy then again I may have to. ? when did it start to get so hot?

Edited by flashlites