• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,843 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, flashlites said:

I've been collecting off and on for more than 40 years. In that time I've been trying to complete the Flash run 105-350. Having to sell 2 incomplete collections along the way. I just found this site this year too. Its been very helpful and I've enjoyed it immensely! I am closer than ever now to completing the collection. Your grandfather's collection sounds amazing! Please share more when you can. As for saying you'll never be able to complete a run...I would encourage you to follow your passion. I still believe...just about 78 books to go! Probably in the next 2 years. I'll be posting as I go😀 (ps if you wanna sell that 175 let me know lol) 

Your pal,

Flashlites

Thanks...

hope you finish your collection, completely agree this site has been incredibly helpful and for the most part the posters/regulars have been great...

If your interested I have a ton of pics in my profile of my collection that I inherited from my Grandpa under "about me"...

When I inherited it, it was 175 Boxes, It took me 3 years to go through it and get it the way it is now, I had to buy new Boxes, New Bags and bags for every comic...then had to go through and grade every comic and makes lists...it was a 3 year Quest that I will forever remember as one of the greatest experiences of my life(except the unfortunate death of my grandfather whom I was incredibly close with)

There end up being about 85 to 90 boxes of Marvel and DC, which I kept as my own personal collection...the rest was western,archies and dell...

21 hours ago, burntboy said:

Hope this is better...

261EBADF-627F-43DE-A9F7-F1B480C11309.jpeg

Seeing your copy of The Flash #113 compelled me to post this picture. It's a cover recreation of that cover, drawn and colored by Joe Giella. I hope it doesn't offend anyone by posting artwork in a comic forum.

Joe Ankenbauer

Flash113.JPG

37 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Seeing your copy of The Flash #113 compelled me to post this picture. It's a cover recreation of that cover, drawn and colored by Joe Giella. I hope it doesn't offend anyone by posting artwork in a comic forum.

Joe Ankenbauer

Flash113.JPG

That is awesome! So Joe did this recreation of the famous cover? Tell us more! I did not know Joe was doing things like this. I love it!

6 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Joe Ankenbauer

Flash113.JPG

That is sweeeet...

7 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Joe Ankenbauer

Flash113.JPG

Love this! I'm on Joe's list for later this year to get a grey wash bust shot done of Flash. 

9 hours ago, flashlites said:

That is awesome! So Joe did this recreation of the famous cover? Tell us more! I did not know Joe was doing things like this. I love it!

Well, as you can see, this artwork was completed in July of 2016. Also, if you look closely below the Trickster's right foot, you can see Joe's signature. I got in contact with Joe through a third-party (but for the life of me, I can't remember who or how). I ended up talking to Joe on the phone for about an hour! Anyway, I had to search to see what covers were done by Joe, and then I had to narrow down to one cover. I'm a big fan of all of the Flash's Rogues Gallery, but I ended up choosing the Trickster because I just loved his crazy outfit. It was Joe's idea to color it - I was originally interested in just the line art; as you can see, Joe knew best. And, the rest, as they say, is history. I feel very fortunate to have gotten this piece from Joe!

Joe Ankenbauer

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer
Additional information

2 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Well, as you can see, this artwork was completed in July of 2016. Also, if you look closely below the Trickster's right foot, you can see Joe's signature. I got in contact with Joe through a third-party (but for the life of me, I can't remember who or how). I ended up talking to Joe on the phone for about an hour! Anyway, I had to search to see what covers were done by Joe, and then I had to narrow down to one cover. I'm a big fan of all of the Flash's Rogues Gallery, but I ended up choosing the Trickster because I just loved his crazy outfit. It was Joe's idea to color it - I was originally interested in just the line art; as you can see, Joe knew best. And, the rest, as they say, is history. I feel very fortunate to have gotten this piece from Joe!

Joe Ankenbauer

I love that story and the fact you were able to speak to him! You are a very fortunate Flash Fan indeed!!! Thank you for sharing and I see you have it mounted nicely with the comic off to the side. Is that a comic book or is it just a reproduction for the setting? I'm asking because I've always wanted to mount my Mark Wade ashcan autograph alongside the printed comic and display it that way.I wondered how they would do it. Yours is close to what I had in mind.

Edited by flashlites
corection

41 minutes ago, flashlites said:

I love that story and the fact you were able to speak to him! You are a very fortunate Flash Fan indeed!!! Thank you for sharing and I see you have it mounted nicely with the comic off to the side. Is that a comic book or is it just a reproduction for the setting? I'm asking because I've always wanted to mount my Mark Wade ashcan autograph alongside the printed comic and display it that way.I wondered how they would do it. Yours is close to what I had in mind.

It's just a color printout of the cover. I find a good image, and I then take down to Office Max to have it printed off in color. For the original art that I have, that is the general way I display each one. First the artwork, then a reproduction of the cover (or the actual page of the comic), and then a little blurb about the artwork (issue, original artist(s), recreation artist (if the art was a recreation), and writer (if necessary). I think it presents well - of course, YMMV.

Joe

We are now up to page 103 of this thread. I would like to start making plans for when we get to 105 and make it a special page! I would like to think I would have a 105 by then but it's iffy at best. So you may be called upon to share. Looking forward to it!