• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,838 posts in this topic

It is scarce in high grade. I think anything 6.0 and over would be considered scarce.  I remember someone commenting on these boards (not this thread) about it being on the OPG top 50 once. I also remember being a little shocked at what GPA has for it at the top grades.DC silver age prior to 1962 is very hard to find in high grade. Back in the old days OPG and dealers looked at comics with major defects as non comics was not interested and ignored them (unless golden age of course).

9 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

That's a solid copy. Interesting, though it does not look like color fade, the blue areas look more grayish/blue on your copy. It may also be your scanner giving this effect.

I just went back and looked at it, compared to yours it does have some color fade to it. I'm a low grade-mid grade collector though so it's not a big thing for me. I got it while I was stationed in England a couple years ago with my graded 4.0 108 from a guy at a convention for 300 pounds so I made out on that deal haha. 

I think I was 12 or 13 when I bought my 106. I bought it Ed Earler's monthly comic book swap meet in Albuquerque. It would probably grade a 3-4.0 today. It was $60 as I recall. A huge sum in those days! 😄 I was thrilled to have it! I had been eyeing it for months, hoping no one would buy it before me. The way things were in those days I still had not even seen a 105. I had no idea what it even looked like. But I knew I wanted one😀

Edited by flashlites
Addition

Love that 106 & 108 bighaley! They look to be in amazing shape! Thanks for sharing😀 as for Adams .5 I hope I will be lucky enough to find one like that, one I can actually afford! When your on a budget and looking for key books it almost seems more difficult to come across a key in that condition when you have the money to spend. All the stars have to line up just right. Maybe this year will be the year. If you ever want to sell it Adam let me know(thumbsu

15 hours ago, flashlites said:

Thanks for sharing😀 as for Adams .5 I hope I will be lucky enough to find one like that, one I can actually afford! When your on a budget and looking for key books it almost seems more difficult to come across a key in that condition when you have the money to spend. All the stars have to line up just right. Maybe this year will be the year. If you ever want to sell it Adam let me know(thumbsu

I cracked it yesterday. Newton Rings were really bugging me. It's unlikely my butter fingers can do anything to reduce the grade further.

For now, it's staying in my on-again-off-again Flash run, but if I ever find a nice upgrade...

1 hour ago, flashlites said:

I believe 8.5 is the highest grade we've seen for 106. Obviously this book is very scarce in high grade. These 2 8.5's may be the highest in the CGC??

I have not looked there but GPA has a 9.2 sale and last year a 9.0 cracked $14,006. Kind of why it makes OPG top 50 each year. Is it the low number, 6th appearance, is it Piper's appearance and cover .......or is it Grodd ???