• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

I also had this one, but I just sold it on ebay. Another striking and beautiful black cover. I found it unusual that they put out a black cover on 2 consecutive issues and if you count #175, that made 3 out of 4. Looking through the Silver Age, it was very rare for a predominate color scheme to be used on consecutive issues of the same title.

flash 173 small.jpg

16 hours ago, Jaylam said:

The very first Flash I bought myself was #172 in 1967. The cover really caught my eye and it is still one of my favorite Flash covers. Simple and striking with the all black background. I looked for a long time to find a decent high grade copy and finally picked this one up off ComicConnect about 4 years ago. It probably would have gotten a 9.4 grade but it has a very slight color break along the left top edge of the front cover near the spine.

I love the cover for 172. Grodd seems enormous and menacing, and the cover helps establish him as one of Flash's most powerful enemies. Infantino was at the top of his game during this period, imho.

On 1/30/2019 at 12:16 PM, adampasz said:

I love the cover for 172. Grodd seems enormous and menacing, and the cover helps establish him as one of Flash's most powerful enemies. Infantino was at the top of his game during this period, imho.

Love those Grodd covers too. Did someone say only 3 Grodd covers in the silver age? I will have to check that.

On 1/24/2019 at 9:49 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

That's a solid copy. Interesting, though it does not look like color fade, the blue areas look more grayish/blue on your copy. It may also be your scanner giving this effect.

2 hours ago, bocabill said:

Thanks Mark, for selling me that beautiful Flash #108 CGC 8.5 which should have been graded between 9.0 and 9.2 (for comparison I included a pic of a 9.2 which is clearly inferior to the 8.5).  

aNvjMTG.jpg

CmHjhXs.jpg

1511913103.jpg

I would definitely prefer the 8.5 over the 9.2. The 9.2 has that soft upper left corner while the 8.5 has 4 sharp corners. I think the 8.5 has some slight top edge bends and the top staple has two tiny tears/stress. The 8.5 is centered better and seems to be fresher looking with outstanding cover colors. Buy the book, not the grade. 

5 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I would definitely prefer the 8.5 over the 9.2. The 9.2 has that soft upper left corner while the 8.5 has 4 sharp corners. I think the 8.5 has some slight top edge bends and the top staple has two tiny tears/stress. The 8.5 is centered better and seems to be fresher looking with outstanding cover colors. Buy the book, not the grade. 

I always loved that purple cover! I had a nice copy in the 80's (not as nice as these amazing specimens!) but my current collection I've had to settle for a copy that has faded. I am glad to have one again but looking at it and remembering what I had leaves me feeling a bit unsatisfied. Seeing these wonderful examples is great. If you ever decide to throw out one or the other I'd take either no questions asked(worship)

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Okay, we are almost @ Page 108 anyway, here is my copy, a Pedigree Ohio copy in 7.0 . I think, for whatever reason, CGC is strict on this issue. I think my 7.0 looks better than the grade also. (shrug)

2601131938471.jpg

Nice copy Bob!

2 hours ago, flashlites said:

If there's anyone out there who can give me some tips on scanning please PM me. For some reason this chat board won't accept my jpg files. Its kinda driving me crazy! Thanks, your pal Flashlites:pullhair:

It should accept JPG, I think you must be doing something wrong. Are you attaching the JPG here...............

• Drag files here to attach, or choose files... 
    Accepted file types gif, jpeg, jpe, jpg, png · Max file size 511MB