• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

I am in Australia so don't know much about comics being sold on the ground (Flash was not distributed here until late 70's although we got the stories very soon after the US as they were printed under license), but I have however been to the last two Emerald City Cons. A couple of observations relating to Infantino's two runs. Last year I had a stack of issues that I wanted for the second run (296-350) for readers. I had no problem filling what I wanted (left three off my list though). Most dealers had some, prices reasonable, condition almost always 8.5+, I could have completed that entire run many times over. This year except for one dealer they had a couple. Maybe five sometimes three, but only one guy had any depth.

Now for the silver age I was lucky to find a dealer who had more than five in the bins. I know many books under 130 maybe behind the counter, but 139 and 147 was on walls, 153 and 165, 155, 174, 140 were non existent. Most of the stock was 150 up and very seldom Rogues issues.(did find one copy of 150 at maybe G+) Did however pick up 127 with Grodd at around 7.0. Very happy with that. I think of all DC books only Batman (includes Detective) and Flash are the most collectable from the silver age followed by early Supes titles and JLA. That was just one Con, but interested in opinions.

42 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I am in Australia so don't know much about comics being sold on the ground (Flash was not distributed here until late 70's although we got the stories very soon after the US as they were printed under license), but I have however been to the last two Emerald City Cons. A couple of observations relating to Infantino's two runs. Last year I had a stack of issues that I wanted for the second run (296-350) for readers. I had no problem filling what I wanted (left three off my list though). Most dealers had some, prices reasonable, condition almost always 8.5+, I could have completed that entire run many times over. This year except for one dealer they had a couple. Maybe five sometimes three, but only one guy had any depth.

Now for the silver age I was lucky to find a dealer who had more than five in the bins. I know many books under 130 maybe behind the counter, but 139 and 147 was on walls, 153 and 165, 155, 174, 140 were non existent. Most of the stock was 150 up and very seldom Rogues issues.(did find one copy of 150 at maybe G+) Did however pick up 127 with Grodd at around 7.0. Very happy with that. I think of all DC books only Batman (includes Detective) and Flash are the most collectable from the silver age followed by early Supes titles and JLA. That was just one Con, but interested in opinions.

For me here in Texas its become very difficult to find what I need at the local stores. I'm collecting all 245 issues 105-350. Occasionally I will find something at a local store. I found a couple in Tyler TX and a couple in Galveston I look wherever I go. Every city I travel to. Over the last 5 years or so I visited many stores in Texas and New Mexico. I've picked San Antonio clean. I get most of my stuff mail order now. Just hard to find any other way. At the local convention here every October I can find an issue or two here and there but last year no luck. Also price is a huge obstacle for me. For example 2 years ago I came across 2 Showcase 4's! I would love to have one of those babies but the cheap one was 10 grand! So I do come across key issues now and again but they are always out of my price range. I have to wait for the right deal at the right time and it's usually online. You are right though even the 290's- 350 are getting harder to find. Still they are easy to find on line and since my big purchase of the year is out of the way (my 123 picked up last month) I will be spending the rest of the year picking up those last 50 issues. Just 68 issues left to complete the run! Happy hunting Terry!

Edited by flashlites
addition

1 hour ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I've been collecting a run from 105-300. Like Flashlites, I buy pretty much everything online. I don't have time to go to cons, and digging around in comic shops for Silver Age is mostly useless. 

Any issues before 140 are tough to find in any grade. But it can even be tricky finding some of the later bronze age issues.  Flash's rogues gallery is up there with Spider-Man and Batman, and there are so many imaginative, desirable covers. 

I agree, Flash rules the DC Silver Age. (After all, he started it.)  The Batman books are fun, but they become more compelling in the Bronze Age.

4 hours ago, flashlites said:

John Broome and his amazing imagination!

Yeah Broome is a huge influence on DC. All the Rogues. The Guardians, Sinestro, rebooting Star Sapphire, even Batman, but among his stuff I love the most are those unique sci-fi stories. I love 156. The reaction from Iris. The whole thing, and of course I don't think there has ever been a better scifi artist than CI.

and almost time for Comics most famous Australian

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs
needed to add something

6 hours ago, adampasz said:

City/Planet-In-A-Bottle seems like such a common trope in DC comics. What were its origins? 

(Grant Morrison just used it recently in The Green Lantern #3.) 

Flash 116 would have been 1960 I believe. That's the first I'd heard of it. Maybe there's an older tale out there similar to it ? 

3 hours ago, flashlites said:

Flash 116 would have been 1960 I believe. That's the first I'd heard of it. Maybe there's an older tale out there similar to it ? 

It seems to me that this concept would probably have occurred in an issue of Strange Adventures or Mystery in Space or House of Mystery or My Greatest Adventure. The only issue I have from any of those series is My Greatest Adventure (first Doom Patrol). Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me could chime in.

Joe 

On 3/29/2019 at 1:53 AM, flashlites said:

I love your Rouges story Hepcat! Makes me laugh... reading it a 3rd time now. You should illustrate it it could be a special edition! Abra Kadabra: "I don't know,  all my comics are in slabs. I can't read any of them.":roflmao:

Thank you! Sadly I'm more of a words and numbers guy. My bag of tricks doesn't include illustration.

(shrug)

On 3/30/2019 at 1:00 AM, flashlites said:

Nice trio there Comicjack! Welcome back to the Flash thread if i'm not mistaken you and Hepcat helped start this thread long ago? I read through all the pages last year when I joined. I seem to remember some pretty nice Flashes posted by you guys in the past. Am I remembering that right?

I wouldn't say that I deserve credit for helping to start this thread but I've posted almost all of my Silver Age Flash comics at least twice in this thread alone.

Here's my #116:

Flash116.jpg

:juggle:

13 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

From memory this precedes Brainiac and the bottles city of Kandor

Not so. The bottle city of Kandor was introduced in Action Comics 242 cover dated July 1958 and thus preceded Flash 116 by over two years.

:preach:

23 minutes ago, Hepcat said:

I wouldn't say that I deserve credit for helping to start this thread but I've posted almost all of my Silver Age Flash comics at least twice in this thread alone.

Here's my #116:

Flash116.jpg

:juggle:

Very nice !!!!