• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,838 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I have not be fortunate yet to get a signed one. i have tried to read it a couple of times, but I get nostalgia overload and find my mind just drifting, enjoying the art anecdotes etc. So good that Spurlock got him to put down his memoirs before it was too late.

Back in 1968, DC released DC Special #1, highlighting the art of Carmine Infantino. Unless I'm wrong, this was the first time an actual creator/artist was the feature of an entire book. Later, in DC Special #5 they did the same thing with Joe Kubert. 

DC_Special_Vol_1_1.jpg

DC_Special_Vol_1_5.jpg

10 hours ago, bocabill said:

They raced three times but there were four comics. The first race was Superman #199, the second was Flash #175, and the third race was split between World's Finest #'s 198 and 199.

maxresdefault-1.jpg

s-l1600-34.jpg

Wow, that's a beauty. Looks a little nicer than an 8.0 plus White Pages! 

<3(thumbsu<3

I always loved how Infantino drew the Flash. His portrayal of motion and speed for the Flash really worked. How he made some elements of the costume look like they were flowing off the Flash as he ran was a thing of beauty, like the cover of Flash 175. I also found an excerpt where Carmine himself explains how he came up with some of the visual ideas for the Flash. I hope the image comes across good enough to read the fine print in this piece.

Flash175.jpg

iNFANTINO-Flash-24-25-ASR.jpg

9 hours ago, Jaylam said:

I always loved how Infantino drew the Flash. His portrayal of motion and speed for the Flash really worked. How he made some elements of the costume look like they were flowing off the Flash as he ran was a thing of beauty, like the cover of Flash 175. I also found an excerpt where Carmine himself explains how he came up with some of the visual ideas for the Flash. I hope the image comes across good enough to read the fine print in this piece.

Flash175.jpg

iNFANTINO-Flash-24-25-ASR.jpg

I agree with your comments on Infantino but Flash 175 was the first issue he didn’t work on. Al Plastino was the cover artist and Ross Andru began his run in the interior of the book.

2 hours ago, JohnH19 said:

I agree with your comments on Infantino but Flash 175 was the first issue he didn’t work on. Al Plastino was the cover artist and Ross Andru began his run in the interior of the book.

Hmm, all three are attributed as cover artists on the CGC label.

6 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

Hmm, all three are attributed as cover artists on the CGC label.

Hmmm...you're right. I never noticed that before. I wonder what Infantino contributed. Plastino obviously drew Superman and Flash looks more muscular than Infantino's version.

Here's my beloved 119! When I sold my 2nd attempt at the Flash run in the late 90's I was left with very few comics, only the ones the comic shops didn't want, like this one and of course my 116 (eesh!) But I have come to cherish them, they are special...they are surivors, like me😀.

0430192221.jpg

Edited by flashlites

22 hours ago, flashlites said:

Here's my beloved 119! When I sold my 2nd attempt at the Flash run in the late 90's I was left with very few comics, only the one the comic shops didn't want, like this one and of course my 116 (eesh!) But I have come to cherish them, they are special...they are surivors, like me😀.

0430192221.jpg

A well loved copy with lots of character.:x

On 4/28/2019 at 7:04 PM, JohnH19 said:

The 'Jay Leno' Superman :) I hope to get a 175 soon!