• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Brenmark said:

Here's a #123 I bought off the stands in Lima, Peru when it came out in the early 60s. It was published by a company in Mexico although I bought it in Lima when my father was stationed there to work with the Peruvian Navy to foster good relations with the U.S Navy. Imported American comics cost about 16 cents then, but this was probably around 12 cents (3 soles) as it was in Spanish. Over the years I've never given up my Flash comics, especially #123.

1299390406_Flash123.thumb.jpg.3cd48a00f5e4a3cdc2891f86985aab4d.jpg

The Batman logo at the top makes that book even better, imo.

On 7/21/2019 at 7:56 AM, flashlites said:

It may have been. If I remember right it was on Lankershim I believe?

No.  Passport was on Victory Blvd just east of Coldwater though at one time he had moved his store to Victory just west of Fulton.  I'm thinking that both Earl and his wife Dee may have died; they were heavy smokers and surprisingly even smoked at the store.  I'm sure most of their comics smelled of smoke.  Also, he would place his comics in cellophane bags and then write the prices on the bags with a black marker thus all their comics had noticeable indentations.  They were both nice people but they did not know much about proper care and handling of comics.

5 hours ago, SLR5 said:

No.  Passport was on Victory Blvd just east of Coldwater though at one time he had moved his store to Victory just west of Fulton.  I'm thinking that both Earl and his wife Dee may have died; they were heavy smokers and surprisingly even smoked at the store.  I'm sure most of their comics smelled of smoke.  Also, he would place his comics in cellophane bags and then write the prices on the bags with a black marker thus all their comics had noticeable indentations.  They were both nice people but they did not know much about proper care and handling of comics.

Ahhh the memories of those first comic book stores. They were true pioneers in the trade! Two of my original go to's are still in business today. The Comic Book Warehouse formally Nostalgia in Albuquerque and of course Rich from Bedrock Comics who way back when used to live in Albuquerque and worked with the Brazil's at Nostalgia if I remember correctly? When I was visiting in Long Beach last month I almost made it out to Hi-De-Ho in Santa Monica. I understand it may be the oldest shop in the country but the Brazil's in Albuquerque weren't too far behind their first store must have opened in '78 or '79.

4 hours ago, flashlites said:

Ahhh the memories of those first comic book stores. They were true pioneers in the trade! Two of my original go to's are still in business today. The Comic Book Warehouse formally Nostalgia in Albuquerque and of course Rich from Bedrock Comics who way back when used to live in Albuquerque and worked with the Brazil's at Nostalgia if I remember correctly? When I was visiting in Long Beach last month I almost made it out to Hi-De-Ho in Santa Monica. I understand it may be the oldest shop in the country but the Brazil's in Albuquerque weren't too far behind their first store must have opened in '78 or '79.

I have seen many collectors claim they bought an old comic such as a beaten up GL 2 or for 3 bucks but when I used to hunt for these books they were much more.  Terry and Harley and others used to sell them for 20 or 30 bucks--maybe more.  That's why I dont buy comics anymore.  One guy claimed he bought a beat-up Flash 123 for only 75 cents.  Yeah, right.  

On 7/27/2019 at 2:01 PM, bocabill said:

My raw Flash #124. The last 10 cent Flash issue.

s-l1600-14.jpg

s-l1600-15.jpg

s-l1600-16.jpg

s-l1600-17.jpg

s-l1600-18.jpg

s-l1600-19.jpg

s-l1600-20.jpg

s-l1600-21.jpg

s-l1600-22.jpg

s-l1600-25.jpg

s-l1600-26.jpg

Beautiful copy Bill!!! 9.4?? What do you think? I love how the inside cover ad says "Still the best value at any price." Hehehe knowing full well the price would be going up next month. Really just such an awesome sight to see your books Bill! Having it in hand do you think it could go higher than 9.4? Maybe 9.6, as I drool over it... er um look over it again? (worship)

Edited by flashlites
correction

The best from my recent group 134, 151, 152 & 155 - is the 155. All of them probably under 4.0 but as stated before I am offering a home to wayward and abused Flash comics:makepoint:. A nice cozy archival board, Mylar sleeve and a Mip-it sheet for a teddy bear:cloud9:.  A retirement home, if you will, for those Flashes who've lived a hard life:preach:

Flash 155.jpg

LOL! Some kid took a paper hole puncher to the comics code authority seal upper right, and whatever he was thinking just tried it out the thing, punching a hole right through the cover and 3 of the interior pages. :pullhair: Kids, gotta love 'em. But hey it made this book a whole lot more affordable for me  :insane:

Edited by flashlites
addition

8 hours ago, southern cross said:

All good finding homes for pre loved flash books.

I was checking my old auction history and came upon this auction 5 years ago.

Shame I don't seem to get these anymore

Screenshot_20190807-084731.thumb.png.8ae43b35c09e2a7279151b77400ea0f8.png

Jeeez! For the 139 alone it would have been worth the 107$!!! That was a heck of a score!:headbang:

105-350 complete run update Flash fans! I just got in a batch from Bedrock City! 7 in all. As of today I am just 62 issues away from completing the run. Nothing spectacular here but all in very nice shape 304, 305, 307,309,329, 338 and 349. These last 50 issues (300-350) have been hard to come by here in San Antonio but I was lucky to have found some in Huston about 3 hours away with a little help from my family there. (Thanks for keeping an eye out for me!) My biggest gap now is 272-282 everything else is filling in quickly. Soon all that will be left will be the odd one or two here and there and of course 105,106, 110 and 139. 117 and 112 minor keys are also needed.

Flash 307 and friends.jpg