• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

On 12/17/2019 at 9:13 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

My search for a good raw copy of this has been going for a while. This is the best so far.... I will however keep walking the Con floor in my noble quest.

A noble quest to be sure!

I'm wondering though whether Flash 128 is special for you in some way? Myself I remember looking upon the half-page house ad for #128 as a kid with wonder and longing:

ad-flash128.jpg

Edited by Hepcat

On 11/9/2019 at 6:07 PM, etowah1123 said:

Thank u Top City

0A9F0799-040C-415F-A986-CFF920EEFF8E.jpeg

This one has made the forum rounds and now resides in the Great White North. One of the two big books that hit the stands in December 1958, the month I also hit the stands.

The other biggie was Batman 121. I don’t have that one but maybe one day. I do have Superman 127, also from that month, featuring the first appearance of Titano.

10 hours ago, JohnH19 said:

This one has made the forum rounds and now resides in the Great White North. One of the two big books that hit the stands in December 1958, the month I also hit the stands.

The other biggie was Batman 121. I don’t have that one but maybe one day. I do have Superman 127, also from that month, featuring the first appearance of Titano.

Great post that can give us an idea of just how special that era was. Books like Flash 105 and Batman 121 hitting the newsstands during December 1958 when kids had their Lionel train sets around the Christmas trees while other children couldn't wait for Santa to bring them an erector set or Revell model kit. This was also an era that preceded the Marvel Age of comics making DC's newest cast of superheroes the only option kids had and where else were you going to find artwork by Infantino, Kirby, Kubert, Plastino and Swan. Things didn't move as fast back then so the time you had to enjoy that Flash 105 and reread it a number of times must have given kids and some grown-ups a different experience of collecting. Try to imagine what it was like to see Flash 105 on the newsstand during a time when readers only saw Superman and Batman books while Aquaman hung out in the back pages of Adventure Comics and the Legion had yet to take off after appearing in that run's 247th issue. Jack was still experimenting with his pre- Fantastic Four-like Challies. DC was also awaiting Kanigher and Kubert's war genre's Action Comics 1 with Sgt. Rock's intro in OAAW 83. The superhero magic an earlier generation saw on the newsstands returned and December 1958 was one of those pivotal moments when kids saw that Barry Allen had gotten a book of his own.

Edited by bronze johnny

On 12/22/2019 at 5:09 AM, Hepcat said:

A noble quest to be sure!

I'm wondering though whether Flash 128 is special for you in some way? Myself I remember looking upon the half-page house ad for #128 with wonder and longing:

ad-flash128.jpg

Thanks for the question, no nothing too special. I completed a run through principally four dealers, O'kennon, Payatte, and finally Harley, with the first providing a huge amount of Flash silver as she was clearing her shelves to become a Diamond distributor. The occasional VF but mainly VG-F from 142 up. Anyway from these dealers I completed the run minus SC4, 13, Flash 105-107, 113, and 121. I then tried to upgrade all my Rogues issues. I was successful with all the ones over 130 winding up VF+ to NM. That finished in the mid 90s and I returned to finish what I started in 2016. Since then only 128 has eluded me. I would prefer a F/VF raw to a 8.00 slab. I have been to ECCC in 2018 and 2019 and NYCC in 2019. I am sure if I was in the US it would have been done by now. Being from Australia has had advantages. I have had to work on relationships which very occasionally has put me in the right place at the right time with art. As for comics though, .. very, very hard. Dealers must love us.

On 12/29/2019 at 11:38 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I then tried to upgrade all my Rogues issues. I was successful with all the ones over 130 winding up VF+ to NM. That finished in the mid 90s and I returned to finish what I started in 2016. Since then only 128 has eluded me.

Very impressive indeed!

(thumbsu

Picked this one in Emerald City 2018. That year very hard to find any Flash under 140 no matter condition. 2019 was even worse. Actually any Flash printed before that media article hit in 1964 are hard to find in any grade. Very important issue as it was the first team up for any Rogues, Think it also has the first JSA cameos.

DSC05071.JPG

DSC05072.JPG