• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Picked this one in Emerald City 2018. That year very hard to find any Flash under 140 no matter condition. 2019 was even worse. Actually any Flash printed before that media article hit in 1964 are hard to find in any grade. Very important issue as it was the first team up for any Rogues, Think it also has the first JSA cameos.

DSC05071.JPG

DSC05072.JPG

Very nice copy Terry!!! What grade do you think it would bring?

2 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Picked this one in Emerald City 2018. That year very hard to find any Flash under 140 no matter condition. 2019 was even worse. Actually any Flash printed before that media article hit in 1964 are hard to find in any grade. Very important issue as it was the first team up for any Rogues, Think it also has the first JSA cameos.

I feel like most of the 8.0's and 9.0's are probably tucked away in collections. I know I wouldn't sell one if I had one :cloud9:. As you can see i'm digging for scraps on a budget here, but still managing to put together a collection. All the enthusiasm without the funds :signfunny:But seriously, I've noticed as well here in Texas at the local cons and comic shops S.A Flash is hard to find. I'm even finding it hard to scoop up the later issues 300-350!!?? I had to send away to Dallas and Houston recently to pick up some of those, my local shops have had nothing these last 2 years. 

19 hours ago, flashlites said:

Very nice copy Terry!!! What grade do you think it would bring?

I have a couple of 7.5s from pre 1962 that are not as nice. An 8.0 or maybe 8.5 due to page color. I had looked long and hard for a 129, my old one is maybe 4.0 +/-, and looked at some slabs, but their is pressing and you can never read it so, I kept looking. Very happy with it. Ticked all boxes. 

19 hours ago, flashlites said:

I feel like most of the 8.0's and 9.0's are probably tucked away in collections. I know I wouldn't sell one if I had one :cloud9:. As you can see i'm digging for scraps on a budget here, but still managing to put together a collection. All the enthusiasm without the funds :signfunny:But seriously, I've noticed as well here in Texas at the local cons and comic shops S.A Flash is hard to find. I'm even finding it hard to scoop up the later issues 300-350!!?? I had to send away to Dallas and Houston recently to pick up some of those, my local shops have had nothing these last 2 years. 

Yeah, I have only ever done ECCC 2018, 2019 and NYCC 2019. At both ECCC cons Flash pre 1965 was hard to find except on the wall, and except for one dealer that was 105,110,123,139. At NYCC I also saw 147 and 140 on the walls (and of course my 127 was on the wall, until 10.30 on first day), but very few silver age overall and even fewer pre 1965. I did not look for late run Flash 296 -350 in NYCC but in 2018 I was still chasing some readers on that run (plus another 323-324) and had great choice in 2018. Filled all gaps, maybe 15 books- except 323-324, but in 2019 very hard to find although I finally bit the bullet on the 323-324, they were never going to get easier or cheaper. Asked a dealer who had some, actually very good Bronze age stock all over (not cheapest but you saved time on the bin diving) and his thoughts were that they were being held in collections and or sellers wanted too much. I just googled Mycomic shop and saw their prices are also up. Can't see that changing, especially as the Flash movie looks like finally getting off the ground -script now approved, Director found, and looks like production will commence in November.

Good luck with your hunt. Do you know how many more you have to go?

4 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Yeah, I have only ever done ECCC 2018, 2019 and NYCC 2019. At both ECCC cons Flash pre 1965 was hard to find except on the wall, and except for one dealer that was 105,110,123,139. At NYCC I also saw 147 and 140 on the walls (and of course my 127 was on the wall, until 10.30 on first day), but very few silver age overall and even fewer pre 1965. I did not look for late run Flash 296 -350 in NYCC but in 2018 I was still chasing some readers on that run (plus another 323-324) and had great choice in 2018. Filled all gaps, maybe 15 books- except 323-324, but in 2019 very hard to find although I finally bit the bullet on the 323-324, they were never going to get easier or cheaper. Asked a dealer who had some, actually very good Bronze age stock all over (not cheapest but you saved time on the bin diving) and his thoughts were that they were being held in collections and or sellers wanted too much. I just googled Mycomic shop and saw their prices are also up. Can't see that changing, especially as the Flash movie looks like finally getting off the ground --script now approved, Director found, and looks like production will commence in November.

Good luck with your hunt. Do you know how many more you have to go?

Just 59 left! 6 early ones 105, 106, 110 and 139 among them. Those may tough to find in my "affordable grade" but I remain optimistic. And for the 105 I would accept an incomplete book so I believe it will happen eventually. Everything in the middle is pretty much filled. There is a one big gap 272-282 and the rest are in the 300's. Mycomicshop has been an amazing resource for me over the last 3 years but you are right their prices are going up.

Here's my copy of 129. Nothing special, about a 3.5. Though I'm not really a huge Flash collector, I mainly collect SA DC, so maybe I'll take a stab at the run someday. I just own 129 for the first SA appearance of the JSA (along with all respective GA characters) in flashback. 2nd GA Flash in SA as well. But most important for me, first SA appearance of the GA Hawkman.

You'll see me next on page 137 for the 2nd SA appearance of the JSA. lol

FLASH129 1.jpeg

Edited by HuddyBee

51 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

Here's my copy of 129. Nothing special, about a 3.5. Though I'm not really a huge Flash collector, I mainly collect SA DC, so maybe I'll take a stab at the run someday. I just own 129 for the first SA appearance of the JSA (along with all respective GA characters) in flashback. 2nd GA Flash in SA as well. But most important for me, first SA appearance of the GA Hawkman.

FLASH129 1.jpeg

Guessing there is a JLA 21 and 22 in the collection there as well. Any B & B Hawkman ?? (and nice 129#)

1 hour ago, flashlites said:

Another stunning book Bill!!! Yours and Terry's may be evenly matched? Beautiful copies, both of them and so great to see them here. Thank you for sharing!

I wouldn't call them even. His book has some mild spine stress areas and some roughness along the upper page opening edge which, if he graded it after a good pressing, would probably yield him at best a 9.0. Mine is a Fantucchio Pedigree. The inks look like they are still wet and by any other standard, it should have been a 9.4. Notice the blue in the color. Very difficult (I have not seen any other like this) to find an example with this degree of blue tint.

4 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Guessing there is a JLA 21 and 22 in the collection there as well. Any B & B Hawkman ?? (and nice 129#)

Thanks. There is a 21, no 22 yet though. And yes I have an entire SA Hawkman run, B&B issues and MIS issues included. You just can't beat Joe Kubert and Murphy Anderson (Infantino comes close tho Flash fans) Some of my favorites. (sorry I don't mean to undermine the FLASH thread)

1213751043_BraveBold34.jpeg.0a7a305cbaddcf70cea158a038baae09.jpg

1177298701_BraveBold36.jpeg.1af010adf2deea182de01fd69bed30b3.jpg

1736991759_MIS87.jpeg.4970d7889b06f582e71041e388d27588.jpg

1533933594_MIS89.jpeg.b36f597e7ed3b19993082c4af333e83c.jpg

Edited by HuddyBee

1 hour ago, bocabill said:

Actually it's NOT alright. You are in essence, hijacking our Flash forum thread with the purpose of getting someone to buy your Hawkman books.

I'm not trying to sell anything. Someone asked if I had books. I responded yes and showed some pics. They asked because I mentioned Hawkman, not because any buying or selling was to happen. I have no intention nor ever will have to sell those books.

Just chill.

NONE of them belong on here and if you had any consideration you would remove them ALL.

I guess by your logic no other books or characters may even be mentioned unless on their respective forums. One shouldn't even mention the JSA in consideration to this book. May we discuss The Kid Flash? I don't believe the thread is titled "Kid Flash collectors thread." 

Look I didn't just come in here and post random books, someone asked if I had certain comics. I showed them what I had because I'm proud of my collection. There is no reason to be indignant or butt-hurt.

I guess that the moderators are all sleeping in today.

Moderators moderate what needs to be moderated. Someone posting a few slightly off-topic books is not worthy of any moderating. Have you read many other threads on this site?

I'm sorry to those that want to actually discuss comics that a pointless discussion has been created from this. I will refrain from responding anymore to whatever @bocabill feels needs to be said as to no longer prolong a pointless dialogue, and as I said in my original post...

21 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

Edited by HuddyBee

14 hours ago, bocabill said:

It's funny by your reaction? No one wants to see your beat up JUNK on here. Those books aren't worth the paper that they are printed on and are good for only one thing...lining the cage of a parrot.

I'm sorry to bother any more of you. I just wanted to bring to light a comment @bocabill made. I did not see this as it was an edit. I just feel this should be made known as this site is no place for that kind of comment.

We all love comics here. Let's try to remain civil.

Edited by HuddyBee

On 1/30/2020 at 12:29 PM, flashlites said:

Which media article are you referring to Terry? I am curious and always interested in comic book history!

New York times December 1964, "Old comics soar in value", then Newsweek and others. Did not portray comic collectors well, but the fact that what mum had thrown out may have been worth over a months salary did get attention. Why early DC is so much harder to find above 6.0 compared to Marvel.  (not a thread hi jack). Even back in 1963 some people were buying complete boxes of Spider-man 1, but when those early 60s DC comics were grabbed by the new savvy collectors/dealers,  most had been well read.

This was up for sale last year or maybe year before and I don't think it sold. Was from a European sale house not known for classic art. It is one of the earliest title splashes going around and to my knowledge the earliest art with Captain Cold, who is becoming the Flashes Big Bad now in the current writing. First Rogues team up, first JSA panels, and a fun book to read, story and art,

129 p1.jpg

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs