• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, comicjack said:

102_5851.thumb.JPG.2cfbc7902033d2654955724bb4ca9a8d.JPG

I love seeing the 139&147 there together!!! Those issues are missing from my collection still!!!:pullhair: I got to pick those up eventually!

And just like that we are on page 133 - lets get those 133's out and post 'em Flash fans!

Flash 133.jpg

Edited by flashlites

Just now, flashlites said:

I love seeing the 139&147 there together!!! Those issues are missing from my collection still!!!:pullhair: I got to pick those eventually!

And just like that we are on page 133 - lets get those 133's out and post 'em Flash fans!

Flash 133.jpg

I check on this thread often you Flash lovers are just doing great keeping it alive (thumbsu

Well that's it for me Flash fans. I got knocked out of the grading tournament tonight. I've learned a lot over the last 2 years and 4 or 5 tournaments. My first guesses are usually the best, during the contest I second guessed myself several times and ended up being more inaccurate. But I did well at first scoring 6 bulls-eyes out of 11 and 3 only of by .5. I plan to go through my Flash collection this summer and grade it 5 or 10 at a time. Many of my Flash books are graded using the old 100 point scale. Anyone remember that one?

Just 49 left to go to complete the run 105-350! Thanks to electricprune from the boards here who is keeping an eye out for me and helping me fill in some of my holes in the 300's. Just 11 left of the old S.A. below #149. The rest of the missing are all #273 and higher. Still there some big books to get 106, 110, 117, 139, 147 among them. It will take some more time.

Where are all of your beautiful 133's? Please post them when you get a chance. We don't want my "Place holder" copy to be the only 133 on page 133 do we?!:insane:

On 3/13/2020 at 12:19 AM, flashlites said:

Well that's it for me Flash fans. I got knocked out of the grading tournament tonight. I've learned a lot over the last 2 years and 4 or 5 tournaments. My first guesses are usually the best, during the contest I second guessed myself several times and ended up being more inaccurate. But I did well at first scoring 6 bulls-eyes out of 11 and 3 only of by .5. I plan to go through my Flash collection this summer and grade it 5 or 10 at a time. Many of my Flash books are graded using the old 100 point scale. Anyone remember that one?

i do but i date myself by doing so and it was confusing much better nowadays 

The only double cover I have. I think the original cover got pulled in when it was cut so they put another over it before stapling. As I am no expert on Silver age production it is just a guess. Abra Kadabra to me has only ever looked good when CInf did him. Ridiculously thin small waist, dinner suit, cape and motivated not by greed or power but the need to be wanted, to be loved by a crowd. Loved him. (and in the trial of the Flash in his own zany way he is trying to actually save Barry Allen who was rescued by the Rogues - a fitting way to send off the series)

DSC05079.JPG

DSC05080.JPG

DSC05081.JPG

We have about 10 posts left for 133 Flash fans. So post 'em if you got 'em! Still on cloud 9 about my 105! Curiously I find my self double checking the top part of the comic where it says "MAR No. 105" as if to verify its true? I guess when you've spent more than 4 decades wishing for something it does strange things to the mind when it comes true. Still its a great escape from the news of the day to kinda take a break and look at comics for a bit and think of other things.:insane: I hope all is well with you and your families.

2 hours ago, flashlites said:

Still its a great escape from the news of the day to kinda take a break and look at comics for a bit and think of other things.:insane: I hope all is well with you and your families.

Yeah, crazy world right now. I like the point of it being an escape. That is what these guys worked on. The concept that the books would one day become commodities and collectables to valuable to be touched would have sounded quite strange to them. (except Bob Kane - Bob saw the $$$$). Broome only turned up at SDCC once, I think it was the year before he unexpectedly died.SDCC did not have certain costs of his attendance in their budget so a group of modern writers pooled some money to get him and his wife there. When he spoke those very same writers were in the front row. He appeared actually unaware of the impact his characters had. There is Flash collectables and there are "FLASH COLLECTABLES". On my wish list is a typed -script by Broome.I will even take Foxes (which will be full of Julie's changes) , I would not be pickie. Some of them are out there. Here is part of a Broome -script for Detective (and no, I have no idea who owns it but wish to thank them for putting this image into the Net)

Broome- Detective 355.jpg

6 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Yeah, crazy world right now. I like the point of it being an escape. That is what these guys worked on. The concept that the books would one day become commodities and collectables to valuable to be touched would have sounded quite strange to them. (except Bob Kane - Bob saw the $$$$). Broome only turned up at SDCC once, I think it was the year before he unexpectedly died.SDCC did not have certain costs of his attendance in their budget so a group of modern writers pooled some money to get him and his wife there. When he spoke those very same writers were in the front row. He appeared actually unaware of the impact his characters had. There is Flash collectables and there are "FLASH COLLECTABLES". On my wish list is a typed --script by Broome.I will even take Foxes (which will be full of Julie's changes) , I would not be pickie. Some of them are out there. Here is part of a Broome --script for Detective (and no, I have no idea who owns it but wish to thank them for putting this image into the Net)

I would love to have a scrip of his too!!! I did not know they were even out there? I have found very little info on John, but I've read every thing I could find. Towards the end of his career he mailed his scripts in from France as he and his wife moved there in the 60's I believe. Imagine if a -script from 105 or 106 or any of his S.A. Flash came available!? I would love to see them! Especially the little notes like on this page! Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!

6 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Yeah, crazy world right now. I like the point of it being an escape. That is what these guys worked on. The concept that the books would one day become commodities and collectables to valuable to be touched would have sounded quite strange to them. (except Bob Kane - Bob saw the $$$$). Broome only turned up at SDCC once, I think it was the year before he unexpectedly died.SDCC did not have certain costs of his attendance in their budget so a group of modern writers pooled some money to get him and his wife there. When he spoke those very same writers were in the front row. He appeared actually unaware of the impact his characters had. There is Flash collectables and there are "FLASH COLLECTABLES". On my wish list is a typed --script by Broome.I will even take Foxes (which will be full of Julie's changes) , I would not be pickie. Some of them are out there. Here is part of a Broome --script for Detective (and no, I have no idea who owns it but wish to thank them for putting this image into the Net)

Detective 355! Very cool!

8 hours ago, flashlites said:

Just imagine if you had a --script and the matching cover art or splash page framed together side by side. Reunited after 60 years! Now that would be an awesome pair! Truly the cherry on top of a Flash collection!

Actually I have been looking at SA DC art now for a few years and many pages circulate, every few years on Heritage or Comic Link or Burkey Moy or Snyder etc. But in the last 18 months there has been a lot of fresh pages, not seen on at least Heritage. There may still be a fair chunk of the Julie give always from the early 60s sitting with original owners, now in their 70s who may start to cash them in or their children may acquire them after they are gone and not have the same love for them their parents had. I woulds now say such a thing is more possible than before.

4 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

Why was “green” the favorite color of villains in the Silver Age?

I've thought about this too over the years. All the green and yellow and other less-than-desirable colors for the Villains? I believe it was simply because all the good colors were taken by the heroes. Think about it...first you create the hero give them a great color like red or blue. Then when it comes time to develop the villain what are you left with? They cant be the same colors as the hero, and so green it is or maybe next month chartreuse, mustard yellow with green accents. Of course with the Flash being all in Red you could always have a villain dressed in blue, Cpt. Boomerang, Cpt. Cold :) But after that it seems to gravitate back to green and yellow. It still goes on today, new villain? Lets have his costume green and yellow lol!

Speaking of Captain Cold lets move on to Flash 134 and talk some more about the Rouges! I believe this is his 3rd appearance? (As usual my 134 is a rescue/well loved copy, still just so grateful to have any of these books on my budget. I cant wait to see what you all have to share!)

Flash 134 new.jpg