• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, flashlites said:

I've thought about this too over the years. All the green and yellow and other less-than-desirable colors for the Villains? I believe it was simply because all the good colors were taken by the heroes. Think about it...first you create the hero give them a great color like red or blue. Then when it comes time to develop the villain what are you left with? They cant be the same colors as the hero, and so green it is or maybe next month chartreuse, mustard yellow with green accents. Of course with the Flash being all in Red you could always have a villain dressed in blue, Cpt. Boomerang, Cpt. Cold :) But after that it seems to gravitate back to green and yellow. It still goes on today, new villain? Lets have his costume green and yellow lol!

Or “green and/or purple”!

20 minutes ago, flashlites said:

Right! Can't forget purple...trying to think of a purple Flash villain now...

I don’t think there are any with purple as a primary or contrasting color. I think the Trickster has in more recent times been using purple in his color scheme though.

36 minutes ago, flashlites said:

Speaking of Captain Cold lets move on to Flash 134 and talk some more about the Rouges! I believe this is his 3rd appearance? (As usual my 134 is a rescue/well loved copy, still just so grateful to have any of these books on my budget. I cant wait to see what you all have to share!)

Flash 134 new.jpg

I picked up my copy at an LCS back in the late 2000's.. I recall seeing this issue at a con a few months before, that piqued my interest in this issue.

scan0158.jpg

On 3/22/2020 at 3:21 AM, frozentundraguy said:

Some great commentary being posted recently in this thread!  I picked up this book raw on Ebay back in 2014.  I apologize for the odd angle of the photo, but it does cut down on the glare.

FLASH_138_CGC70B.jpg

Lovely copy. Huge respect for Joe Giella but I love Anderson's inks on the cover. This more muscular look was where Marvel was pulling things. The art from this era is probably my favourite.

1 hour ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Fourth Appearance. SC8, 114, 129 and then  this. He only trails MM in the SA. and this one actually looks better or as good out of mylar, which is why I left i there.

DSC05078.JPG

Aren't you forgetting issue #140, where you have both the Heat Wave and Captain Cold as the villains?

scan0166.jpg

My favorite Flash Rouge has changed over the years. It used to be Pied Piper probably because of the hours I spent staring at the 106 I had back then. Then I went through a Grodd phase. I loved the idea of the technologically advanced hidden city of gorillas! Currently its Thawn (comic version and the 1st/2nd season of the new show) I hate him! But I like the way he drives a Flash story. I like the way the current TV show portrayed Cold and Heat Wave though in the beginning. Not so much now in the Legends.

Edited by flashlites
correction

47 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

Aren't you forgetting issue #140, where you have both the Heat Wave and Captain Cold as the villains?

scan0166.jpg

I could never forget 140 - love that one and right now I have wound up with 4 copies. One from 1982, a very cheap copy locally, (very rare in OZ) then a friend saw my cosplay and thought he would get me one (ahem .. thanks) and I bought some art and wound up with the owners copy. ... and I am sure I am not finished yet. Then 150, 155, 166, 174, so only 3 solo appearances but 8 in total.

17 minutes ago, flashlites said:

Then I went through a Grodd phase. I loved the idea of the technologically advanced hidden city of gorillas!

I was never a fan on Grodd, until the TV show. Since then I went back and read Johns Grodd arc, and now much more a fan. 155 was a brilliant story, but lets leave that until later. The thing with Grodd was 6 appearances (??) but only 2 covers. Considering how Julie in the 1950s had Gorilla covers everywhere, that must have been huge restraint.

While we are waiting ..here is the splash from the second SC4 story, in the original Australian edition/reprint call it what you will, printed in either late 1956 or very early 1957. I think it is 1956 but no way to be sure. The second image is from DC's 2007 Showcase series. Great low cost reader and I grew up on B & W (always wanting color but finding B & W visually very satisfying in my later years). The reason they are both here is they are not the same. The inking on the Australian is finer. You need to look hard but it is finer. I would love to know how they made the stats for the reprints they now produce. Now of course I also need a comparison with that page from an actual SC4. Just made me realise that one day they will find me buried under, Flash readers. Flash comics, Flash reprint volumes, Flash art, Flash production art, Flash Australian editions, Flash Italian editions, Flash fanzines,  ..at least I will die happy.

aSC4b 012.JPG

XX SC from Showcase reprint .JPG

way too much time on my hands. So here is the same page from SC4, the Australian edition/reprint, and the DC reprint from 2007.The Australian B & W is the same as the original but they both are lighter in inks than the DC 2007 reprint. Not many SC4s running loose in the wild these days but this is the one that got me back into collecting in Dec 2015 after a 20+ year break. I am enjoying my Australian editions as they maybe as close to the original art as I will ever get on books I really love.

DSC05658.JPG

aSC4b 013.JPG

DSC05660.JPG

Great contrast and comparison Terry! As only you can do it, with the extensive depth you have to your collection! A real treat to see the Australian edition there! It's like DC selected the "Bold" option for the 2007 edition. And why would they do a modern reprint without color?  I can understand going heaver on the inking for a book that was intended to be published in B&W, like the comic magazines of the late 60's early 70's. But I agree it does not quite work here with the modern 2007 reproduction. Only you would have a reader copy of SC4 laying around the house :) So glad you are hear to share with us SC4 deprived Flash fans!

17 hours ago, flashlites said:

What does the cover of the Australian SC4 look like?

As SC4 has two stories there are two comics with it. The first has a different cover to SC4 but it is a Flash cover. I am still looking for that one, and I am not alone in doing it. The seconds story comes from this, and luckily the seller added some interior photos and I recognized it. I am sure he was not aware of that significance and just thought it was a really old comic and must be worth a lot. Sound familiar. It was an ebay auction and I am pretty sure no one else had checked the photos as well. SC8 has two stories and they were both given cover treatment as was 105. Two covers for it. All those other covers are by Cinf. To my knowledge the Australian editions/reprints are the earliest anywhere. Just the time taken to ship the art and do the run.

Hundred 04 01.JPG

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

On 3/24/2020 at 12:40 AM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

As SC4 has two stories there are two comics with it. The first has a different cover to SC4 but it is a Flash cover. I am still looking for that one, and I am not alone in doing it. The seconds story comes from this, and luckily the seller added some interior photos and I recognized it. I am sure he was not aware of that significance and just thought it was a really old comic and must be worth a lot. Sound familiar. It was an ebay auction and I am pretty sure no one else had checked the photos as well. SC8 has two stories and they were both given cover treatment as was 105. Two covers for it. All those other covers are by Cinf. To my knowledge the Australian editions/reprints are the earliest anywhere. Just the time taken to ship the art and do the run.

Hundred 04 01.JPG

Wow! Some great Australian comic lore there Terry! You mentioned earlier that a local printer received the art from National back then and printed them there in Oz. So this 100 pg 1956 comic has the second story from SC4? Another very intriguing part to your story/quest is the known to exist but not yet found Australian reprint of the famous origin story? Was it also in "The Hundred Comic Monthly" but with the Flash on the cover? (like the 105 and 123 you've shared on previous pages?)

One thing to note here Flash fans, in that era the market was dominated by westerns, thus the western theme to this compilation of stories. The world was about to change as Flash caught on and the Silver Age began.

Fascinating!!!

Have you ever seen the other book? Do you know if there are even any copies out there?

I love this kind of stuff!!!

On 3/24/2020 at 12:40 AM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Just the time taken to ship the art and do the run.

Ooooo! That would mean there would be some production art out there!? Not original but copy/production art. Not as valuable but still would be kinda neat to have some of that if anyone ever thought to save it.

22 hours ago, flashlites said:

I'm coming up on a few little infuriating holes in my collection Flash fans, so i'm counting on you to fill in the blanks for me!(worship)

I do not have a #135 yet doh!!

I checked my list  and found that my next issue worthy of showing, since we are going in sequence is #142, though it's on the average side grade-wise. Naturally I went out of order with issues #138 and #140. lol  I have been giving some thought to my favorite Flash villain, and found that's a toughie to determine. My least favorite villain is the Heat Wave. I guess I would go with Captain Cold and the Trickster in a dead heat as my fav's.  I owned a copy of #108 until about 2 or 3 years ago. If anyone's interested I can relate the back story on that issue, and share the cover scan.