• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

Alas I have no Flash 143.

However I do have an earlier Flash (Iss. 132) to share, and one of my favorites that was in the group photo that Jaylam posted a few days ago. The book does raise some questions, as the Flash was just uber heavy and weighed 1,000 pounds back in issue #115. The real dilemma is given the calories he's expending running so fast, how could he ever gain that kind of weight?   The other oddity about this cover is his head in the middle photo. It looks like it's bending back to the left just a bit. I always thought that part of the cover looked a little weird. I do like the action sequence on the cover though. (thumbsu

flash_115.jpeg

scan0209.jpg

5 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

Alas I have no Flash 143.

However I do have an earlier Flash (Iss. 132) to share, and one of my favorites that was in the group photo that Jaylam posted a few days ago. The book does raise some questions, as the Flash was just uber heavy and weighed 1,000 pounds back in issue #115. The real dilemma is given the calories he's expending running so fast, how could he ever gain that kind of weight?   The other oddity about this cover is his head in the middle photo. It looks like it's bending back to the left just a bit. I always thought that part of the cover looked a little weird. I do like the action sequence on the cover though. (thumbsu

flash_115.jpeg

scan0209.jpg

The dreaded 'fat ray' of issue 115!:roflmao:Poor Flash will never live that one down lol, that and issue 177 which one do you guys think is funnier? By issue 132 they figured out a more pseudo-scientific way for Flash to deal with an unexpected weight problem. Great examples Frozen Tundra, thanks for sharing!

5 hours ago, comicjack said:

I think Flash was always a draw for the young reader 

When I first started collecting when I was about 6 or 7 years old back in the mid 60’s, DC’s 2nd tier characters like Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Atom and Hawkman were more of a draw to me than Supes and Batman for some reason, although I must admit, I watched the Batman TV show religiously in it’s original run. It’s too bad they didn’t think to incorporate other DC heroes as guest stars in the show’s run, however I think there was a crossover with the Green Hornet.

5442025F-137E-4F0E-96CC-0DC4476F6AD8.jpeg.802e86c49f3f13e3da36f817cf6b8ce7.jpegC8EDDF0A-E5F6-4339-BD0D-64A30A4F4EFE.jpeg.87b10d0d80a19ca9cd216ec3a48be1ba.jpeg

D18A4635-67ED-441E-8F1B-6C2A3478E9E0.jpeg

Edited by Jaylam

1 minute ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

this thread has moved that fast that you miss it for a few days and we have jumped two issues. My collection of Australia Flash is getting thin at this point. They ares sometimes asking  more for the same issue here as the US in similar grade.

DSC05091.JPG

Flash 143.JPG

Two sharp looking issues there! :cloud9:  I wonder if the Australian issues are rarer, hence the heftier price?

1 hour ago, frozentundraguy said:

Two sharp looking issues there! :cloud9:  I wonder if the Australian issues are rarer, hence the heftier price?

Would have to be much rarer, but also I often wonder why guys are asking these prices. I collect them but I have never ever seen one on a wall at a Con. DC collectors are a rarer breed here and these turn up from people who found them in a shed or in second hand book stores. So most sellers only know it is old, so it must be worth a lot of money. The good thing is stuff like the SC8 issues or SC4 issues are priced the same as ones with Tomahawk Jimmy Olsen, Big Town (a 50s  crime TV show, Mr DA and some Sc-Fi drawn by lesser artists. There is this purple patch covering Kirby GA,Challengers, early Showcase and B & B, so if you know the age they are worth a gamble. I have seen some crazy prices on these in the US also from US dealers, but with 300M people they can afford to sit and wait. I also remember the first appearance of Supergirl sitting around US$1K. No idea if it sold.

I just gotta ask Terry, what else was in that months Hundred along with Flash? They were selective right? Not every DC title for the month could fit in a hundred pages. Or could it? These are so cool! I'm thinking I may try and pick up a sampling for my collection some day. Maybe one from each country? I loved the 123 from Mexico with the Bat-Man logo on the front! Did Capt. Boomerang ever appear on the cover of Hundred? That would be an awesome one to have! I'm going to look back and review the others that you've shared but I don't recall seeing him. 

Edited by flashlites
Addition

7 hours ago, Jaylam said:

I looked over the internet and could only find a few on eBay right now. 

They do turn up and when they do it is often in bunches. Some finds grandpas stuff in the shed and takes it to a second hand book shop where together with paperbacks, 60s Newsweeks and TV guides the stuff gets listed. Seldom do they wind up with anyone other than a amateur comic dealer and almost never with anyone DC knowledge. Back about 2-3 years ago a second hand dealer who visits garage sales etc found a stash and put up about 5 a week for about a few months. We never knew exactly what was left and bidding was solid but not too high, and I did not want to start driving it up. My regret on it was missing a JLA 21 reprint. Also of interest to Flashlites a Flash 117 went quite high. That has never been repeated, maybe it will one day but I will not hold my breath.

39 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

They do turn up and when they do it is often in bunches. Some finds grandpas stuff in the shed and takes it to a second hand book shop where together with paperbacks, 60s Newsweeks and TV guides the stuff gets listed. Seldom do they wind up with anyone other than a amateur comic dealer and almost never with anyone DC knowledge. Back about 2-3 years ago a second hand dealer who visits garage sales etc found a stash and put up about 5 a week for about a few months. We never knew exactly what was left and bidding was solid but not too high, and I did not want to start driving it up. My regret on it was missing a JLA 21 reprint. Also of interest to Flashlites a Flash 117 went quite high. That has never been repeated, maybe it will one day but I will not hold my breath.

I found some 100 pages Superman comics on ebay that look like they are made like "the Hundred Comic" you have shown here, but apprear to be their own "Superman Supacomic" series. Were there other 100 page titles like that?

SUPERMAN-supacomic_63_nov_64.jpg.06df16f90568d96237b556207d8532c9.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

1 hour ago, flashlites said:

That would be the Hundred I would go after! It figures it went for a higher price.

It went for close to what a 117 on low grade G maybe G-, was going for here at the time and I was worried about pushing up prices of these while they kept coming. Picked this up a few months later, better condition too.

Flash 117 01.JPG

3 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

It went for close to what a 117 on low grade G maybe G-, was going for here at the time and I was worried about pushing up prices of these while they kept coming. Picked this up a few months later, better condition too.

Flash 117 01.JPG

Very nice indeed! Yep, I would bid on that if I saw it! And if you did not notice your 143rd post ended up on page 143! Nicely done sir! You are racking up the posts! 

2 hours ago, Jaylam said:

I found some 100 pages Superman comics on ebay that look like they are made like "the Hundred Comic" you have shown here, but apprear to be their own "Superman Supacomic" series. Were there other 100 page titles like that?

SUPERMAN-supacomic_63_nov_64.jpg.06df16f90568d96237b556207d8532c9.jpg

They were Hundred, which covered WW, Flash, Challengers (remember them) and early on Tomahawk plus filler, All Favourites (note our spelling) Varied a lot, but there was a run where it had a lot of Showcase, 22,23,24 1st Suicide Squad, early Sea Devils, Century had lots of Johnny Thunder, Trigger Twins etc Gil Kane and Cinf art, random Sci Fi, Five Score was very heavy Sci Fi, Mystery in Space pre Adam Strange, and Strange Adventures, actually the early ones are really good, Century Comics has pre SC30 Aquaman and then follows with SC30 onwards, Mighty has JLA although the B & B issues were back ups and turn up in strange places, then the two Superman books. Super Adventure comics has Superman, Batman and LSH, the one above had Superman Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen and Supergirl.  These last two had no filler, the others had lots of 50s crime, and adventure, Congo Bill, Rex the Wonder Dog, Tommy Tomorrow, Foley of the Fighting 5th etc. Part of the fun is the randomness. You open it up and surprise you also get the very first Sekowsky. The  Adam Strange. The cover paper is thinner, does not yellow as much, but as it is thinner, they wear badly on the spine. The one showed is in very high condition for a Aus book.