• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, flashlites said:

I think that's what just happened, he resubmitted it and just got it back yesterday. :) And look at that, we are on page 152 Flash Fans....I gotta go warm up the old scanner...I don't know about you guys, but this thread has been quite the respite for me during the crisis. Chatting with you fellow Flash fans has really helped me make it through the long hours at work, stress and worry...I just wanted to say thanks! 

image.png.c035020f80b6332811a2e17cc3980b31.png

Again with the primary colors, beautiful design, great angle by the master Infantino, very funny subject matter! How can the Trickster outrun the Flash on a tricycle!!?? (Made you buy the comic to find out) :grin:

Likewise here been loads of fun discussing and sharing our Flash books, as not much social life outside of work, and walking the dog daily.  (thumbsu

How can the Trickster outrun the Flash on a tricycle!!??  Doesnt seem possible, but maybe the tricycle will go faster with flat tires. lol

5 hours ago, SpeedforceKJ said:

No just no inner well/tray had been put in the case for the book so the case itself was pressing onto the book 

D5DF3200-8D08-48E0-B9ED-40307A6561E7.thumb.jpeg.282b16c0726875cfb4bb2bbd083d88b2.jpeg21B6DFE6-DFC2-4DCB-8E31-4B62597B2E26.thumb.jpeg.b12e1cb97fe8bce9c8c9cacca6be6f64.jpeg

CE505C25-5104-4041-8357-835A9C201D55.jpeg

When CGC introduced the new slabs in 2016, they tried to do it without using an inner well, just the book pressed against both sides of the slab to hold it, (for better clarity of the book in the slab was the stated premise if I remember correctly). Unfortunately, this turned out to not work so well as some books were slipping in the case causing damage. They went back to using an inner well, but then had a problem with newton rings from the two dissimilar plastics touching each other. It was a big controversy for awhile. As far as your Flash #117 there, it looks like it was originally graded in the time span that they just introduced the new slab and had not yet gone back to using the inner well again.

Edited by Jaylam

2 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

but then had a problem with newton rings from the two dissimilar plastics touching each other.

The dreaded newton rings:pullhair: arrrgh! But it looks like his new case does not suffer from the newton ring issue.(thumbsu

12 hours ago, flashlites said:

My 139 came in today!!! So happy to have it. I really thought that it would be about a year or more before I would get one. Just goes to show sometimes you never really know when your are going to get what. I was really aiming for a 111 these next few months and stashing a little away for my planned 106 purchase sometime early next year but sometimes things change. If you told me last month that within weeks I would have a Showcase 13 and a 139, I would have never believed you! ... its all part of the fun of collecting.:whee:

:banana:

There is a super gorgeous Flash #139 CGC 8.5 White pages up for auction on ComicConnect right now that I’d love to snag, but it’s probably out of my ($$$) league. It’s one of the nicest copies I’ve seen in any grade. They also have a 7.0 up, but it looks faded in comparison to that 8.5.

18 hours ago, flashlites said:

Just checking it out again KJ, its so awesome! I'm jealous! I still need one of these...some day...(worship)

There’s a 2.5 on eBay graded by the other company signed by giella for $95 plus shipping 

Edited by SpeedforceKJ

19 hours ago, flashlites said:

The dreaded newton rings:pullhair: arrrgh! But it looks like his new case does not suffer from the newton ring issue.(thumbsu

With this discussion of no inner well on books from 2016, I took a few minutes and checked my slabbed books, since some of them were obtained right around the 2016 time frame. Luckily it turns out that my books all have their well. I do have 4 books with newton rings though. What is also odd, is those copies with the newton rings do not have them on the back side of the slab. hm

20 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

With this discussion of no inner well on books from 2016, I took a few minutes and checked my slabbed books, since some of them were obtained right around the 2016 time frame. Luckily it turns out that my books all have their well. I do have 4 books with newton rings though. What is also odd, is those copies with the newton rings do not have them on the back side of the slab. hm

I’m trying to remember the time frames involved so here goes... they rolled out the new slabs with no inner well about April 2016. There was an ensuing outrage of books sliding around in the slabs getting staple tears and other kinds of damage. The inner well was re-introduced later that summer; about July or August. I noticed your Flash #117 was originally graded in May 2016 so it would not have had an inner well put in it at that time.

10 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

I’m trying to remember the time frames involved so here goes... they rolled out the new slabs with no inner well about April 2016. There was an ensuing outrage of books sliding around in the slabs getting staple tears and other kinds of damage. The inner well was re-introduced later that summer; about July or August. I noticed your Flash #117 was originally graded in May 2016 so it would not have had an inner well put in it at that time.

Thanks for the info. (thumbsu@SpeedforceKJ has the #117 if I recall correctly.

Edited by frozentundraguy

Indeed I had the 117. I purchased it from eBay last year, I just wasn’t comfortable with it not having the inner well So now that I was back from my deployment I decided to finally send it in and get that fixed. My next book is to either send in my 110 and have it brought over to a CGC case verses it’s current case and then send my 123 in for cleaning and pressing someplace and then off to cgc for grading. Had that one specifically since 2017 I really need to get on that one. 

21 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

Opps, sorry @frozentundraguy and @SpeedforceKJ. Looks like I got a little mixed up of who I was replying to about what. Maybe I’ve been spending too much time at the 19th hole, (or maybe not enough, lol)! :wink:

I messed up on almost the same subject, thinking @SpeedforceKJ had just received issue #117 without a inner well. :makepoint:  I'm going to the 19th hole right now. lol