• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

Love those future cityscapes! Just an awesome cover from the master, dynamic, motion, beautifully illustrated and great use of color. Probably in my top 5-10 all time Flash covers! (Notice how Flash's body is bending forward with the follow through of the punch but his head has stayed right where he made impact, tilted slightly back and away. As if he never took his eyes off the target. Only a master knows how to do that! One who has studied the figure in motion.)

image.png.29abc4385d7a271a532d10ab5eea0617.png

For the longest time I filed my birth certificate away in this comic. (Not inside the book itself, but safely, between the bag and the backing board of course :)) There was no July 1965 issue so this was about the closest I could get to my birthday month and year. And through all my many moves as a young adult from place to place, city to city, state to state, I always knew where it was.

3 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Joe that is amazing. Unlike many modern artists who seem to do more commission work than published work the old timers did very little except a few fans sketches for fanzines, and almost all those originals got lost. Can I ask when you had that done?

According to the information I included with the artwork, Joe finished it in July, 2016. I probably requested the commission several months earlier.

11 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

According to the information I included with the artwork, Joe finished it in July, 2016. I probably requested the commission several months earlier.

I love the way you had it framed it also!!! You are a very fortunate Flash Fan indeed!

14 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Think this was Hugh O'Kennon but more likely James Payette, circa 1983, and I was never ever able to find a better on from the dealer catalogs I could get.

DSC05102.JPG

Both of those dealers top notch back then and nice copy:luhv:

Question for you all. Yes we all collect silver age flash but we’re also all comic fans. If you had the opportunity to get a small piece from Joe Giella done would you take a flash or a Batman. Also noting that the Batman would have a lot more done to it but both are same in cost. 

1 hour ago, SpeedforceKJ said:

Question for you all. Yes we all collect silver age flash but we’re also all comic fans. If you had the opportunity to get a small piece from Joe Giella done would you take a flash or a Batman. Also noting that the Batman would have a lot more done to it but both are same in cost. 

It would have to be Flash for me :) of course! Nothing against Bats but hey for a Flash fan its an easy choice.

1 hour ago, SpeedforceKJ said:

He worked on this classic cover, so you can have both Flash and Bats! He will soon be 92 years old. Wow! God bless you Joe and thanks for all the great work you have done to bring comics to life!

7871A25B-2F73-4AC4-A431-200173BFCBA1.jpeg.94957cc4173a4f05bd766d3d2d612b03.jpeg

And this is the book that is responsible for starting it all over again. Back in 2012 I had just moved to San Antonio. It had been 12 years since I had sold my last collection, only a few books survived the big sell off, carefully tucked away in a short box in my closet- a distant memory. About a year or so later I decided to take my son to the local comic book shop as there were some spider-man action figures that he had to have. When we got there the toys were in the front of the store. In the back, far in the distance I could see the wall but could not quite make out what was on display. I resisted. As we checked out the friendly clerk asked, "So you guys like comics eh?" I replied, "Yes, I used to collect, but that was years ago." He replied, "Why don't you go back there and take a look?" "Naw, I better not." I replied. And then he said, "It's a fine hobby." To which I quickly said "It's a sickness really." We both laughed. Six months later I decided that I just might take up this fine hobby yet again. My son got this 154 for me for my birthday that year. And I've been falling down the rabbit hole ever since :insane:

image.png.41490c0279e6471c6bdba6a9584739d4.png

23 minutes ago, flashlites said:

And this is the book that is responsible for starting it all over again. Back in 2012 I had just moved to San Antonio. It had been 12 years since I had sold my last collection, only a few books survived the big sell off, carefully tucked away in a short box in my closet- a distant memory. About a year or so later I decided to take my son to the local comic book shop as there were some spider-man action figures that he had to have. When we got there the toys were in the front of the store. In the back, far in the distance I could see the wall but could not quite make out what was on display. I resisted. As we checked out the friendly clerk asked, "So you guys like comics eh?" I replied, "Yes, I used to collect, but that was years ago." He replied, "Why don't you go back there and take a look?" "Naw, I better not." I replied. And then he said, "It's a fine hobby." To which I quickly said "It's a sickness really." We both laughed. Six months later I decided that I just might take up this fine hobby yet again. My son got this 154 for me for my birthday that year. And I've been falling down the rabbit hole ever since :insane:

image.png.41490c0279e6471c6bdba6a9584739d4.png

Super sharp copy and great story (thumbsu