• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

Courtesy of Harley at ECCC in 2018. I may hold some sort of record from buying from Harley at so many places and times. This was a 5.50. The  page I feel is one of the most important pages in Flash history, right up there with when Barry knocks on Jay's door in 123. This is the creation of the Rogues. You can see by story placement and panel design how Scudder & Snart  are set to become dominant characters with the Rogues. Batman has Rogues Spider-man has Rogues but only Flash has "The Rogues". A group and an alliance, that just fell into place, because these are not the same sort of villains as Batman, or Spider-Man, or Superman or Iron man have. I wish Overstreet would get it right. Yep 130, the suits are from the Rogues, only problem is The Rogues are not wearing them. I have four copies of this, a few spares for when my reader wears out.

The other thing I love is it showed why they were all so well dressed. Why no one else had used such a device is beyond me.

DSC05104.JPG

DSC06176.JPG

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

14 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

Flash #155 is a very UNDERRATED book, but you know what may be even more underrated? #245 more so than #186, naturally ~ The image of the #245 may look terribly blurry, but it's around VF+ ~

s-l1600.jpgR

That 186 is a Anderson cover I believe? Right?

One of my all time favourite pages. DC back in the 60's had their comics stratified and I don't think it was by design. Mort Wesinger had his Lois lane Jimmy Olsen and the legion of Super Pets, aimed down low. Schiff had the Batman books which were spiraling down, trapped in 50s story lines and not much higher. Interesting books like Challengers and Metal Men, that spoke to a slightly older audience, still kids though and then Julie's stuff. Flash, GL, Atom, Adam Strange. Of all of them I think the Flash was for the older fan, I sure enjoyed them more as I grew into my teens.  I don't think the following page could ever have been done in a Marvel book in the 60s, but I think it describes a very real relationship. Iris has so many emotions here, but one of them is very adult. She is pissed but the way Barry handles it, was another reason he was my favourite hero.

DSC06178.JPG

26 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

One of my all time favourite pages. DC back in the 60's had their comics stratified and I don't think it was by design. Mort Wesinger had his Lois lane Jimmy Olsen and the legion of Super Pets, aimed down low. Schiff had the Batman books which were spiraling down, trapped in 50s story lines and not much higher. Interesting books like Challengers and Metal Men, that spoke to a slightly older audience, still kids though and then Julie's stuff. Flash, GL, Atom, Adam Strange. Of all of them I think the Flash was for the older fan, I sure enjoyed them more as I grew into my teens.  I don't think the following page could ever have been done in a Marvel book in the 60s, but I think it describes a very real relationship. Iris has so many emotions here, but one of them is very adult. She is pissed but the way Barry handles it, was another reason he was my favourite hero.

DSC06178.JPG

What issue is this page from?

On 5/17/2020 at 11:14 AM, Jaylam said:

Don't know why but I can't post without a quote box from several posts coming up .. sorry if this is confusing. You should see what our ebay is doing her in Australia. this work from home stuff is starting to break things down.

It is pure Sci-fi at all levels. I loved how Iris after all this time finds out he is the Flash and he gives her the choice of remembering (okay comic Sci-fi has not a lot to do with science .. but it is a lot more fun than my science teachers ever were, and I think out of all Julies books I probably learned as much), and he promises to tell her after he is married, which sets up 174 and  Carmines exit perfectly.

I was talking to my mentor on comic art who has been collecting a long time and has many more sources than I and he has never heard of any of the pages of 155 being out there. Either someone has sat on all of them for over 55 years (they would now be mid 70s) or they are gone forever. One of DC's great tragedies is the owners never really appreciated what they had. Kind of why they lost number one spot. For guys who were only about business, they did not actually understand the business they were in. The opposite of Lee who showed brilliant business and understanding which is the real story of SA marvel.

22 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

DSC06178.JPG

Nice white pages by the way!!!(thumbsu:cloud9:

I finally had a chance to re-read my copy of 155. It must have been a few years since I read it as it was like reading the book for the first time. :cloud9:  At any rate I should have suspected who the mastermind was behind the release of the six super villains. Before I get to that, however, I was surprised that the fate of the six Flash villains was left in an ambiguous state. The panel in question is where the Flash speeds through the gauntlet so quickly that the super-villains wind up hitting each other with their weapons instead of the Flash. That is the last we see of them in this book, so presumably they would have collected their wits and made good their escape while the Flash was otherwise occupied. Which brings us to the mastermind, who of course was Grodd the gorilla.

flash_155_PG22.jpeg

20 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

I finally had a chance to re-read my copy of 155. It must have been a few years since I read it as it was like reading the book for the first time. :cloud9:  At any rate I should have suspected who the mastermind was behind the release of the six super villains. Before I get to that, however, I was surprised that the fate of the six Flash villains was left in an ambiguous state. The panel in question is where the Flash speeds through the gauntlet so quickly that the super-villains wind up hitting each other with their weapons instead of the Flash. That is the last we see of them in this book, so presumably they would have collected their wits and made good their escape while the Flash was otherwise occupied. Which brings us to the mastermind, who of course was Grodd the gorilla.

flash_155_PG22.jpeg

Who doesn't love a two-timing telepathic mastermind super villain gorilla who comes from a technologically advanced hidden city!!!

1 hour ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

and another, I would love a better copy, but want to read it and want good PQ, maybe try my luck with MyComic shop.

DSC05957.JPG

DSC05958.JPG

Your cover is in better shape than mine Terry. Someday i'll upgrade too. MCS I've found has the best selection. They usually have multiples of every issue to choose from, which is amazing for me shopping on a budget. I can gaze lovingly at the 9.somethings and then buy the 2.5.