• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, flashlites said:

:roflmao:loved that show! Thinking of course of "Get Smart" Don Adams was it? So funny! Glad you started in with your beautiful 159 Terry! You really have an amazing collection! I'll bring mine out tomorrow and show you all my 5 newest editions. Been very busy lately.

Not exactly Flash related, but lets go with the flow.

donadams.jpeg

4 hours ago, flashlites said:

:roflmao:loved that show! Thinking of course of "Get Smart" Don Adams was it? So funny! Glad you started in with your beautiful 159 Terry! You really have an amazing collection! I'll bring mine out tomorrow and show you all my 5 newest editions. Been very busy lately.

thank you, and yes it was Maxwell Smart

49 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Congrats, always nice ticking off goals. Very nice (or should I say VF+/NM) copies indeed ..

Thanks Terry they are beautiful! NM all the way! And that awesome hand painted statuette is amazing! It came with that great illustrated "brief history of the Flash" companion! I finally have a buddy for my Jay Gerrick! 

image.png.207b8d2f0e1dc939a384bb25ec7a0541.png

3 hours ago, flashlites said:

And here are my new babies! Thanks to some very special friends here on the boards!!! (worship)

image.png.4f67d229a96a2d083290ca8eef0cfd02.png

Nice set of six books there. Your copy of 284 reminded me I have one of the books featuring a race between Superman and Flash. The Flash almost looks like he should tie on some ice skates and try racing.

scan0263.jpg

Go-go checks were added to attract attention to DC books in the spinner racks. You knew they were DC books when you saw the checks peaking out from behind the rows of books.

On 6/19/2020 at 8:40 AM, Jaylam said:

OK, I'm back, here's the threesome I promised earlier in the week!

1171099610_flashgroup158159160.thumb.jpg.1630f0c8672785032574103df1e10992.jpg

I just realized that #159 was the first one with the "go-go checks". I never understood that marketing ploy, whose idea was that anyway?

Very nice trio there Jaylam!!! They look to be in great shape too! The checkered tops only lasted for about a year or so right? I'll have to dig into that tightly packed long box and see later. I thought the pattern was kinda neat, something different. It made me think of racing cars and the finish line :).

On 6/20/2020 at 11:38 PM, Jaylam said:

The go-go checks were bad news for someone anal like me with OCD. The slightest mis-cut was made  glaringly obvious by the go-go checks and caused me great anxiety. 

Funny how things change. If you had told Julie was people would pay for 123, 139 or any of these book he would not have believed you. Condition like that never entered their mind.

Just one more post to go before we get to 160 Flash Fans! I just received my latest shipment of 5 amazing issues from the end of the run. I now have just 29 issues to go to complete the series from 105 to 350! Just 8 Silver Age left. The rest are 275 or higher. Getting close to the finish line here and I'm starting to wonder what will life be like after this life long quest? And which will be the last issue left for me to get? Will it be 106? Maybe something random like 279 or 282? When I get under 20 maybe I'll post a list and you all can take odds and guess? (You'd have to do it out of view from me) I'll put up a prize for the winner :banana:

image.thumb.png.c6d155487442db0f1238a58edcf44ddf.png

On 6/26/2020 at 12:01 PM, flashlites said:

Just one more post to go before we get to 160 Flash Fans! I just received my latest shipment of 5 amazing issues from the end of the run. I now have just 29 issues to go to complete the series from 105 to 350! Just 8 Silver Age left. The rest are 275 or higher. Getting close to the finish line here and I'm starting to wonder what will life be like after this life long quest? And which will be the last issue left for me to get? Will it be 106? Maybe something random like 279 or 282? When I get under 20 maybe I'll post a list and you all can take odds and guess? (You'd have to do it out of view from me) I'll put up a prize for the winner :banana:

image.thumb.png.c6d155487442db0f1238a58edcf44ddf.png

297 the Captain Cold issue was a significant step by Bates as it painted Len as not just a one dimensional villain. It made him much more human and someone who could attract empathy and sympathy. That treatment was next expanded to Mirror Master and Heatwave, and even Digger. That change to the Rogues was part of what Geoff Johns so successfully revived after other writers had basically ignored them. Yep three very significant Bronze issues there.