• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,838 posts in this topic

I will get this to 174 if I have to pick it up and carry it ..and you can never have enough of Grodd. Interesting that as an editor Julie had Gorillas on so many of his books in the 50s and he had three opportunities to use one on 106-108 and never did. I always thought Cinf's Grodd covers in the SA were not his best Gorilla efforts. The inside pages great but the covers not quite.

DSC05785.JPG

DSC05786.JPG

1 hour ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I will get this to 174 if I have to pick it up and carry it ..and you can never have enough of Grodd. Interesting that as an editor Julie had Gorillas on so many of his books in the 50s and he had three opportunities to use one on 106-108 and never did. I always thought Cinf's Grodd covers in the SA were not his best Gorilla efforts. The inside pages great but the covers not quite.

DSC05785.JPG

DSC05786.JPG

You could say Julie went kinda ape over gorillas in the 50's :banana:...  too much? The dancing banana made it even worse?   

If there aren't anymore 160's I'm good with taking a peak at some of those 50's gorilla covers maybe compare them with a later Flash Grodd cover. Here's a good one that I don't know the answer to...How many times did Grodd appear on the cover of Flash in the silver age?

1 hour ago, flashlites said:

If there aren't anymore 160's I'm good with taking a peak at some of those 50's gorilla covers maybe compare them with a later Flash Grodd cover. Here's a good one that I don't know the answer to...How many times did Grodd appear on the cover of Flash in the silver age?

56 minutes ago, flashlites said:

Great cover!

Only two Grodd covers, and after 108 only three more appearances in total. Obviously Julie with the Rogues had found something he liked more than Gorillas. Actually I think there may only be 4 or five total Grodd covers in that run up to 350.

DSC05797.JPG

DSC05986.JPG

2 hours ago, flashlites said:

Here's a Grodd cover that should have appeared in the late 50's!

image.png.eca321bb345449b34d5cdd6166f904f9.png

Yeah I have not been able to pick up my 750s or anything else since March. Our shop opens Saturday and next week I will take a wheelie bag and a strong box. They did do some great covers on that 750.

1 hour ago, Jaylam said:

The Flash #172 cover has a pretty well done and menacing Grood and is the best Grood cover IMHO. Not only that, it's a cover that breaks the 4th wall, the only other Flash Silver Age cover that does that is #163 I think.

Nice picks Jay! And that 163 is right around the corner (I think I have doubles of that one)...Last call for 160's Flash Fans just 5 more post to go before we turn the page.

I must start doing these in order. SC13 was when I started back in early 2016 with a purple 1.8, then I got a 6.0, but wait look what I found, and then a 8.5, but damm that 7.50 looks nice, and that way I can sell my 8.5 and waste, sorry spend more money on art, sigh, but this was maybe my second SC13, and the only one I can look at. (the 8.50 was posted previously and god knows where that 6.0 is now. One of the joys of moving my office next year will be finding stuff I have completely forgotten I have, and as the saying goes, "if you can't find it, you don't really have it". Made famous by buyers at our first big retail comic store. Steve always had a copy, and always told you to come back next week, but he had no idea where is minor stuff was (major to us) and as it was always going up in value did not really care.

DSC05038.JPG

DSC05039.JPG

DSC05181.JPG

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

These come up very infrequently. Not my favourite artist but Silver Age I think. The ones with Cinf art inside bring a premium on Cinf covers done later in the SA, and poor Andru does not get much love on his panel pages. Still SA Flash covers are very rare, so many early ones went to young teens who may have been fans but grew up before they realised what they really had, or they then had switched to the new cool kid, marvel and many more just went to people who only had a passing interest at best. By the early 70s it had changed, NY had a Con again, SDCC had started and the more mature fans new this was a hobby and also a side business to fuel their hobby. Anyway I hope it goes to a good home.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

18 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I must start doing these in order. SC13 was when I started back in early 2016 with a purple 1.8, then I got a 6.0, but wait look what I found, and then a 8.5, but damm that 7.50 looks nice, and that way I can sell my 8.5 and waste, sorry spend more money on art, sigh, but this was maybe my second SC13, and the only one I can look at. (the 8.50 was posted previously and god knows where that 6.0 is now. One of the joys of moving my office next year will be finding stuff I have completely forgotten I have, and as the saying goes, "if you can't find it, you don't really have it". Made famous by buyers at our first big retail comic store. Steve always had a copy, and always told you to come back next week, but he had no idea where is minor stuff was (major to us) and as it was always going up in value did not really care.

DSC05038.JPG

DSC05039.JPG

DSC05181.JPG

Your "reader" looks like my SC13! Love that 7.5! Just a beauty there Terry!

5 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

These come up very infrequently. Not my favourite artist but Silver Age I think. The ones with Cinf art inside bring a premium on Cinf covers done later in the SA, and poor Andru does not get much love on his panel pages. Still SA Flash covers are very rare, so many early ones went to young teens who may have been fans but grew up before they realised what they really had, or they then had switched to the new cool kid, marvel and many more just went to people who only had a passing interest at best. By the early 70s it had changed, NY had a Con again, SDCC had started and the more mature fans new this was a hobby and also a side business to fuel their hobby. Anyway I hope it goes to a good home.

s-l1600.jpg

Andru had the misfortune of trying to follow a legend. But he held his own and I would be proud to own one of his covers someday!

Actually Andru's Spider-man is quite valuable and not as reviled as his flash is. I would love one of his Wonder Woman pages, but don't think I could compete. The only guys who could have followed Cinf was Murphy Anderson or Gil Kane. By that time Kane was heading to Marvel although he did some very nice GL stories before Adams came onto the title. I think Anderson would have been very good. His cover on 165 is the only cover between SC4 and 174 that was not Cinf. I love it, and wonder why he was not used.

DSC05973.JPG

25 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Actually Andru's Spider-man is quite valuable and not as reviled as his flash is. I would love one of his Wonder Woman pages, but don't think I could compete. The only guys who could have followed Cinf was Murphy Anderson or Gil Kane. By that time Kane was heading to Marvel although he did some very nice GL stories before Adams came onto the title. I think Anderson would have been very good. His cover on 165 is the only cover between SC4 and 174 that was not Cinf. I love it, and wonder why he was not used.

Terry, you are truly a Master Flash fan! The Yoda to my Luke! Who even knew that Andru drew Spider-Man?! I did not. (lack of interest in Marvel? LoL) As for Gil, I have a special place in my heart for him. His art in comics inspired me. I wanted to draw like him and Carmine and drew and redrew many a cover trying to imitate/emulate them both! As for Murph, I believe he did well and drew many of my secondary favorite covers. And Neil, well he was just awesome!

Wow we are on 161 Flash Fans and for once I don't have my comic ready or my scanner warmed up so...lets meet up here tomorrow to show off our 161's!