• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, flashlites said:

I'm sooooooooooooooo jealous too! You know I need 106, 110 & 112 :pullhair: if only i'd been there! Oh wait i'd have needed cash too doh!

You would have been able to afford them. I’m in Canada and your American dollar goes a long way here. Crossing borders in these Covid pandemic times is another matter. 

Hey we're on page 170 already??!!! Time to haul out those 170's Flash Fans!!! Were only doing this for another 4 pages...probably ... who knows, but its a great opportunity to immortalize your copy of Flash 170, 171, 172 and so on (you get the idea) on the thread page of the same #!

Edited by flashlites
correction

On 8/23/2020 at 8:59 PM, JohnH19 said:

They’re all extremely well loved but they are complete. I probably wouldn’t have pulled the trigger on buying them but  the price was right and my 105 was starting to get lonely.:)

I'm still in awe of that haul you stumbled across last week, I just had go back and take another look, you are a very Fortunate Flash Fan Indeed! :cloud9:

Edited by flashlites

On 8/22/2020 at 2:58 PM, flashlites said:

This just in this week :cloud9: Just 13 issues left now to complete the run!!!

image.png

The guy who can take credit for the "speed Force", Bart Allen etc Wade had a large version of this art behind his desk. Absolutely brilliant design. Never ages, very nice copy.

20 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

This is from the early 80s Whos' Who, which was another DC landmark (often imitated ) and Cinf was, I think living in Calif helping care for his mum (don't quote me please). I am so glad he was back, as DC had him do many of the Rogues in that series. I never got the full run of Who's Who, but know he did Boomerang, Weather Wizard,  and RF as well as the Flash with Murphy Anderson, and Heatwave with Joe Giella. This was done with another inker I am not that familiar with. These two pages formed one image on the page. You will also see that the board which was not the usual DC art board was simply folded and torn down the middle.What is also significant is that the image of Dr. Alchemy is the only one drawn by Cinf in existence. There is a head piece on a page in 147 still around, but this is the only full drawing. It is kind of sad that so many of these rogues have little if any art from the SA. I guess this is as good as it gets for Dr. A who I think is being brought back very soon.

011.JPG

Its just so amazing to see the original art! Thank you so much for sharing it with us Terry!!! You wont see this anywhere else Flash Fans, not in any museum not on any website, only here on the boards and only because Terry is kind enough to share it, because he knows who really appreciates it, us! You are truly a Fortunate Flash indeed!!!

23 hours ago, flashlites said:

If there are no more 170's I will go ahead and post my latest acquisition and give you an update on the race to complete the run.

image.png.b33ebdc5ce08c2fbc53077a9dbc4dccb.png 

Just 12 issues left now Flash Fans!

I know it is easier to get a nice copy in this period but somehow that eluded me on several of mine. That is a nice copy. I have not asked, but are you reading these or waiting for the set to drop. The SA ones are all unique units of stories but these bronze had several themes running through them at this time. I built my run back in the 80s when these were often still dealer stock. I was reading the current issues and I had read 296 - 350 when they came out (I got back in on 308 and it was easy to pick up the others from dealers, but I waited until maybe 6-8 years ago and read right through from my SC8, SC14, 108-350 (minus two issues, 113 & 121 - yes Both Trickster). Did it every Friday night after work. maybe 3 issue each time. Was wonderful. I am not a fan of the Heck art but that story with Mr Element and Dr Alchemy I always thought was one of Flashes best.

1 hour ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I have not asked, but are you reading these or waiting for the set to drop.

I was a young man with a family in the mid 80's. I had stopped buying Flash off the rack probably sometime in '82-'83? So I completely missed the end of the run! Then one day I heard Flash had died??!! How could that be?! I remember looking through my collection that day, it contained probably anywhere between 1/2 to 2/3rds of the Silver age (with 106 and 108 being my oldest) maybe about 80% of the 70's stuff and of course my beloved 5 or 6 Golden Age. Less than 2 years later I had to sell it. So no, I have not read it yet, but once its complete I will. I'm still missing a few issues at the tail end. I've been waiting a long time to finish this story and I cant wait! Also I need to get Crisis and read that finally. (probably i'll get that in TPB.) I still have mixed feelings about the end of Flash, mostly because I did not read it as it happened. In a way, I guess, I've kinda been able to live on in denial all these years.  

Edited by flashlites
Correction

2 hours ago, flashlites said:

. I've been waiting a long time to finish this story and I cant wait! Also I need to get Crisis and read that finally. (probably i'll get that in TPB.) I still have mixed feelings about the end of Flash, mostly because I did not read it as it happened. In a way, I guess, I've kinda been able to live on in denial all these years.  

Yep, I was in disbelief. It was really bad.  I had only read one Flash after 174, and when out of total curiosity I wandered into Sydney's first direct sales comic store and saw Flash 308 in colour on the racks drawn by Cinf, I was totally stunned. In complete disbelief. What followed those next 4 years may be the happiest of my whole comic experience. Then I heard of Crisis and saw the "death of Flash "story line. At that stage I was working a 6 day week with really long hours and I was months behind on reading them. I picked up Crisis and read it through. Yep Barry was dead, but I never brought 350. I really did not want to read the finish. Funny thing is out of crisis what I may remember most was Sam Scudder dying a hero.  Only finished reading that run a few years ago.

By this stage Sid Greene was the inker. At the time in the fans letter pages the Kane Greene combination had been much loved by the fans, although Kane believed his inks were better. Greene did a lot of inking at this time and did Cinf Flash and Elongated Man in Detective. All three inkers added to Flash in their own way but it may be because I read these stories the most as a kid that Greene in my favourite.

DSC05982.JPG

DSC05983.JPG

On 9/3/2020 at 9:39 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

By this stage Sid Greene was the inker. At the time in the fans letter pages the Kane Greene combination had been much loved by the fans, although Kane believed his inks were better. Greene did a lot of inking at this time and did Cinf Flash and Elongated Man in Detective. All three inkers added to Flash in their own way but it may be because I read these stories the most as a kid that Greene in my favourite.

DSC05982.JPG

DSC05983.JPG

I wonder if anybody ever really ordered the submarine? And if they did, what did it really look like :) ?

This is one of the very few issues after 147#  that has any of the original art. Sid Greene inking. One of my US friends picked up a page. Dr Light finally turns up in Flash. I must get a better copy (!!). Now where is Harley's number ??

DSC05984.JPG

DSC05985.JPG