• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

My first Grodd story was 155, and then he is basically in the background, and I never saw 172 printed here, I don't know if it was. My first real reading of Grodd was in a 80 page Giant story taken from maybe 108. I liked it but was not a huge fan. I liked colorful costumes, colorful names, it was like Broome and Cinf, were always trying to give me something more over the top than the last such villain. The first time Grodd really struck a chord was in Johns's run, drawn by Kolins. I think that was maybe the best drawn Grodd until that time, although modern artist Rafa Sandoval has left a real mark on the legacy recently. It was actually the TV series that really turned my attention. After seeing him there I reread those Johns's stories with a new appreciation and I would now say I have become a huge fan. Hmmmm.. need to dig through some photos. (and on we charge to 174!!!)

Flash #172 is the first issue of Flash I bought myself back when I was only 7 years old and had just started collecting for myself (my older brother got me hooked as he was already buying mainly Superman titles). I picked up this high grade example on ComicLink several years ago. Also one of my favorite Flash covers. From this point, I collected every issue of the Flash until #218 when I stopped.

179756452_flash172_edited.jpg.38f75f2149e849fa484f358f932f74ea.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

5 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

while we are still on Grodd. I have waited a long time for this sort of art treatment. Note Grodd simply "hanging"

FLASH#759012.jpg

That's from the new run 759 or 760, right!? Do you have that O.A. already Terry!? I love the inks! It's even more powerful in black and white IMO :)

18 hours ago, flashlites said:

That's from the new run 759 or 760, right!? Do you have that O.A. already Terry!? I love the inks! It's even more powerful in black and white IMO :)

Rafa Sandoval from that run, and it is currently waiting to be shipped while Rafa digs through his cupboard to see if he has any covers left. I think he did great work on Cold old and new, Tickster and his Grodd and Turtle as superb. On my  tombstone the words " Flash Tragic"  may be the first that comes to  my children's mind.

3 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

Finally get to contribute again. I picked up this copy at my LCS back in 2012.  I have been dealing with a recent death in my family, so I have not been as active lately.

Very nice copy. Man I envy you guys. LCS, cons .. sigh. Hope all is going okay with your family, sorry to hear about your loss.

While searching out my last few issues I came across this anomaly for 110. Some sort of old reproduction? Anyone know anything about these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flash-110-Silver-Age-Classic-Replica-Edition-1st-Kid-Flash/324251494820?hash=item4b7ee529a4:g:nccAAOSwP49fGf5g 

I wouldn't want to get one, but wow! I guess you gotta be on the look out for these?

Edited by flashlites

6 hours ago, flashlites said:

While searching out my last few issues I came across this anomaly for 110. Some sort of old reproduction? Anyone know anything about these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flash-110-Silver-Age-Classic-Replica-Edition-1st-Kid-Flash/324251494820?hash=item4b7ee529a4:g:nccAAOSwP49fGf5g 

I wouldn't want to get one, but wow! I guess you gotta be on the look out for these?

Not sure but looking at what else he he is selling but he maybe making them

That book is perhaps the strongest Flash book right now. 105 at around 6.-8. has come off although the rarefied 9.0s find their own level, the 2.0 to 5.5 are still strong ,110, 123 are sort of steady but last 4 years 106 slowly creeps upwards at all grades. I have never seen a copy at 7.00 or above. They must be there but a 105 at 6.5-7.5 are almost common, same with 123, but I think those 106s might not have been snapped up and stored well back in 1959.

30 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

That book is perhaps the strongest Flash book right now. 105 at around 6.-8. has come off although the rarefied 9.0s find their own level, the 2.0 to 5.5 are still strong ,110, 123 are sort of steady but last 4 years 106 slowly creeps upwards at all grades. I have never seen a copy at 7.00 or above. They must be there but a 105 at 6.5-7.5 are almost common, same with 123, but I think those 106s might not have been snapped up and stored well back in 1959.

This copy went for less than $200, I was hoping to steal it for even less early on but alas... it was not to be. It is probably a 1.8.

2 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

Just got season 6 of the Flash on DVD going to start watching it this evening looking forward to it with ice-t and a pizza. I enjoyed the first 5 seasons. Was waiting for the Fall to start season 6.

That's great! I'm sure you will enjoy it. I'm still wondering if we will have a season 7 this year, or is it being put off till Spring? Does anybody know?

oooo! And that did it Flash Fans! That put us on page 173! Everyone break out your Flash 173's and post 'em if you got 'em!

image.png

Did someone say "Well Loved"? Yes, I'm afraid most of my Flash collection is "Well Loved". Just so grateful to own any of these Silver Age books in any condition!

Edited by flashlites