• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,838 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Jaylam said:

Things have been awfully quiet on the Flash thread as of late. Time to hit it again.

Here's my offerings for the Flash #175. One of only three instances of where I have two graded copies of the same book.

FLASH 175 8_edited.jpg

FLASH 174 9_edited.jpg

Very nice Jaylam!!! Some say Superman looks like Jay Leno on this cover lol. I will need to replace my copy with something nicer eventually. Do you also have a Superman 199?

22 hours ago, Jaylam said:

Yes, I have one graded copy of Superman #199 and one ungraded copy. I posted an image of the graded copy several pages ago, but here it is again. I see where 9.6 copies go for around $10,000 now days give or take, kind of a slip in value based on sales from a decade ago.

SUPERMAN 199 CGC_edited.jpg

Wow!!! 10K for a Sups 199!!?? And I thought maybe I'd be able to get one one day :insane:. I'm old enough to remember when Action Comics #1 hit the 10 grand mark, I'm sure some of you are too? Was it 1975, 1978? I was just a kid but buying OPG each year. And I believe Marvel Mystery #1  hit 10K about the same time it seems. 

1 hour ago, flashlites said:

Wow!!! 10K for a Sups 199!!?? And I thought maybe I'd be able to get one one day :insane:. I'm old enough to remember when Action Comics #1 hit the 10 grand mark, I'm sure some of you are too? Was it 1975, 1978? I was just a kid but buying OPG each year. And I believe Marvel Mystery #1  hit 10K about the same time it seems. 

Yeah, back in 2016, the Pacific Coast 9.6 copy went for $19,750, but in March of this year on Heritage, a 9.6 went for $9,600 (not the Pacific Coast copy). That's quite a difference even considering the pedigree vs a non-pedigree in that high of a grade. There are only 6 copies listed on the census at 9.6 and none any higher and who knows, the actual total of 9.6 copies might be less if someone cracked one and didn't turn the label in. 

1 hour ago, flashlites said:

You can still get a decent lower grade Superman 199 at an affordable price. :smile:

I just made an interesting discovery. My 8.0 copy has a written in date stamp of 10/16 (see image close-up), but I ran across this in house ad from Hawkman #23 that states the "on sale" date as 10/19. Ads in other books also show the "on sale" date as being 10/19. Did someone just get mixed up on what day it was, or did some copies appear earlier on the stands than the advertised "on sale" date?

FLASH 175 8_edited date stamp.jpg

flash #175 ad_edited.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

Hey there Flash Fans! It's been a minute but after we hit 175 and kinda agreed it was the end of an era for Flash, where do we go from here? I'm open to suggestions. I love this thread and after being on the Silver age font page for more than a year, its kinda sad to see us on page two(shrug) I've kinda decided to let one of you take the reins for a bit and see where it goes! I'll follow you Flans fans anywhere! I've learned so much from you all and I know there's more to learn. So waddya think? Oh and FYI over on my contest page, i'm down to just 6 issues now to complete the entire run 1959-1985!!! (its too late to enter the contest but we are still having Flash fun over there, and you're welcome to join in, commenting, joking and posting memes and gyphs.) Looking forward to the future of the Flash thread! Lets hop on that cosmic tread mill and see where it takes us!

Contest to pick the last issue of Flash Comics that is obtained by Flashlights

image.png.22c7bd572c18eb2ee585199ad0697b1d.png

Edited by flashlites

On 12/12/2020 at 12:02 PM, Heffalump Abuszel said:

Just love the way Batman’s bracing - up Barry, instead of his best friend (of those times of course) - Superman

3A670D4B-328E-4E31-A3D2-D8D5620EE363.jpeg

Welcome to the boards! Thanks for stopping by the Flash thread first! Tell us a little bit about yourself-you've got to be a Flash fan like us right?(thumbsu

On 11/16/2020 at 5:26 PM, Jaylam said:

I just made an interesting discovery. My 8.0 copy has a written in date stamp of 10/16 (see image close-up), but I ran across this in house ad from Hawkman #23 that states the "on sale" date as 10/19. Ads in other books also show the "on sale" date as being 10/19. Did someone just get mixed up on what day it was, or did some copies appear earlier on the stands than the advertised "on sale" date?

That's not unusual. The actual date comics hit newsstands varied by distributor and region and the advertised "on sale" date was just a best guess made weeks in advance anyway.

:smile:

On 12/12/2020 at 1:02 PM, Heffalump Abuszel said:

Just love the way Batman’s bracing - up Barry, instead of his best friend (of those times of course) - Superman

3A670D4B-328E-4E31-A3D2-D8D5620EE363.jpeg

That never made any sense to me either. Batman and Robin should be over on the other side with the Superman fans while Hawkman (another Julius Schwartz character) and Wonder Woman (who partnered with the Flash many times in early Justice League adventures while Supes was MIA) should be cheering for the Flash.

(shrug)