• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,838 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, JohnH19 said:

Probably not but the book came out in December of 1958 and the date stamp is January 1961. Maybe a secondary owner did it.

Just a mistake is my guess, because the clerk had to flip the year on the stamp that month (unless Mr. Magoo worked at the shop. lol )

I've now beefed up the Flash's Rogues Gallery skit I wrote up a few years ago:

A gathering of Flash's Rogues Gallery in the dining room of the Central City Jail circa 1965:

Weather Wizard: "You Piper are so pathetic. A whopping 32 issues four years and four months apart before you got a return appearance in The Flash!

Pied Piper: "Yeah, but I was in Justice League 14 in the interim though!"

Weather Wizard: "Fffffttttt!!!! You had nothing but a bit part so that hardly counts as a proper appearance. Worse yet you were just a lackey of Mister Memory, who himself turned out to be the mind wiped stooge of Professor Amos Fortune!"

Heat Wave: "Yeah, heeeee, heeee! Just the lackey of a mindless stooge!"

Pied Piper: "I'd be careful of breaching the subject of reappearances were I in your shoes, Wizard. I just looked through my collection of Flash comics and you didn't get a return engagement with the scarlet boy scout for a colossal 35 issues spanning four years and five months!"

Weather Wizard: "Did too! I had a whole story in Flash 130!"

Pied Piper: "Hah! You didn't even go up against the Flash though! You were beaten by a little kid and some two-bit superhero with stretching powers who wasn't even good enough to be a member of the Justice League."

Weather Wizard: "See! It was two against one!"

Pied Piper: "What did the Elongated Man have to stretch to put you down? His nose, his ear?"

Trickster: "Giggle! There's only one body part I want stretched."

Top: "Me I wouldn't need no secret potions either. That Sue babe of Dibny's could sure stretch it for me."

Weather Wizard: "I tell you, it wasn't fair! I was double teamed." 

Pied Piper: "You couldn't even beat Aquaman or even Batman let alone the Flash. You're more pathetic than I could ever be."

Weather Wizard: "Am not!"

Heat Wave: "Well you're both beyond pathetic in my book."

Pied Piper: "Look who's talking! The johnny-come-lately who didn't even appear on the scene until I had three appearances under my belt!"

Captain Cold: "Yeah, the kids who were buying my first appearance in Showcase 8 in 1957 had all graduated to Playboy before hot head here arrived on the scene." 

Weather Wizard: "Yeah, junior here wasn't even around when DC comics were still a dime."

Heat Wave: "You should talk! I still beat you onto a cover by five issues."

Weather Wizard: "Not true! I was there on the cover of #110. You just couldn't see me for the flood I was stirring up, that's all."

Captain Cold: "It was my appearance on the cover of The Flash 140 that made it an item on newsstands anyway."

Heat Wave: "Yeah sure, pops."

Captain Cold: "Speaking of which everybody knows I'm the greatest Flash villain of them all! I've been around since the Flash's second newsstand appearance way back in 1957 and I've plagued him ever since."

Mirror Master: "Well you got the plague part right anyway. I'm the one who got the first cover though, and it was for issue #105 the one that relaunched the series! None of you can come close to matching that."

Captain Cold: "Fffffttttt! You play with mirrors like a woman!"

Mirror Master: "Yeah well I still had two cover appearances under my belt before you got your first!"

Albert Desmond: "Can anybody tell me who I am today?"

Grodd: "All nonsense! Everybody knows that I'm the greatest Flash villain of them all!" 

Mirror Master: "Hah! Your waistline may be the greatest, but you're nothing but a big hairy ape! You're so ugly that Julius didn't put you on a cover until your fifth appearance in issue #127."

Grodd: "Lies! I was on the cover of #115."

Mirror Master: "Doesn't count. You weren't your fat hairy self on that cover. Like I say, you were too ugly to get a cover yet."

Trickster: "Hey, who ate all the bananas?"

Abra Kadabra: "It was the overgrown ape again."

Top: "You're all pathetic. Except for the hairy ape and he doesn't count, all any of you losers ever did was rob banks and jewellery stores. I was going to blow up half the world in issue #122 until that meddlesome do-gooder interfered."

Trickster: "Could have, would have, should have!"

Top: "Huh?"

Trickster: "The world's all still here, isn't it? The point is you didn't get it done. The only thing you got done was a fast trip to the hoosegow."

Heat Wave: "Yeah! What a loser."

Albert Desmond: "But why am I here?"

Captain Boomerang: "It's elementary my dear Doctor. You've been a very nasty boy starting way back in your Showcase 13 and 14 appearances before the Flash even got his own title, so nasty in fact that most people haven't forgotten."

Weather Wizard: "Yeah, but despite his multiple IDs it took Desmond here a whopping 44 issues and six and a half years before he got himself onto a cover! Now that's really pathetic."

Professor Zoom: "Actually in defence of my sometime partner he was on the cover of the Flash Annual from the summer of 1963."

Pied Piper: "Annuals don't count though because they're just reprints. Everybody knows that."

Abra Kadabra: "I'm #1 though! My collection of The Flash ranks above any of yours in the CGC data base."

Heat Wave: "Huh? CGC? What's that?"

Abra Kadabra: "You wouldn't know. That's in the future. I've had the top ranked Flash collection at CGC since 6349."

Captain Boomerang: "Well that won't be for a few years anyway and I'll match my issues #117, 124 and 148 up against anybody's in the right here and now!"

Trickster: "Hmmmppphhfff! Nothing but your own appearances, if you can even call them that. Talk about pathetic. I don't know what's more pathetic, you or your comic collection."

Captain Boomerang: "Yeah well you've never done anything cooler than run across floating soap bubbles or ride around on a tricycle. Me though I sent Flash to the Moon and back!

Trickster: "Well why did you bring him back though?"

Heat Wave: "Yeah, that's what I'd like to know too. Why did you bring him back?"

Captain Boomerang: "Wasn't my fault.  I use boomerangs and they always come back."

Top: "Ffffttt!!!! A feeble excuse if I've ever heard one."

Professor Zoom: "Well I'm going to be badder than any of you saps, just you wait and see!"

Abra Kadabra: "Yeah, sure. What do you want from us? Applause?"

Professor Zoom: "Just wait I say. I'll show you the meaning of the word 'dastardly'!"

Top: "Is that true, Kadabra?"

Abra Kadabra: "Don't know. My comics are all sealed in plastic slabs so I haven't read any of them."

Captain Boomerang: "Huh?! But that doesn't make any sense. Why would you or anybody want comics you can't read?"

Abra Kadabra: "You'll have to wait 35 years before you understand."

Albert Desmond: "But I just wish I knew who I was this week."

Top: "Somebody here could certainly use some more electro-shock therapy."

Captain Boomerang: "Look who's talking. The failed half-a-world destroyer! Hey, who farted?"

Professor Zoom: "I think it was the hairy ape again."

Trickster: "Well that's my cue to run. Hey! Which one of you crooks stole my shoes?"

;)

Edited by Hepcat

On 12/31/2020 at 12:12 PM, Jaylam said:

Here's the house ad for the Flash #105 from Mystery in Space #49. A full page ad nevertheless, beautiful!

1294984880_flash105ad.jpg.539eecc3079a89ec5db8c0f70eb1e671.jpg

On 12/31/2020 at 6:47 PM, flashlites said:

I love it! I would love to have that as a poster! (thumbsu

A poster might be tough given the size of the paper needed, but you can easily get that ad printed on a T-shirt in one of those custom T-shirt shops. I have a t-shirt with the house ad for The Flash 106 on the front and a scan of the cover of my copy of The Flash 106 on the back:

Flash_106_house_ad.jpg?width=1920&height

21-08-201182425PM.jpg

I have a total of seven(?) custom T-shirts with imagery from my collections including this one for Sea Devils 2:

RCO034_1583699212.JPG?width=1920&height=

Seadevils2.jpg

Just make sure you don't give away or even lend the resultant T-shirt to anybody else. That would constitute distribution of reproduced copyrighted material which is a felony under the law.

:)

10 hours ago, Hepcat said:

A poster might be tough given the size of the paper needed, but you can easily get that ad printed on a T-shirt in one of those custom T-shirt shops. I have a t-shirt with the house ad for The Flash 106 on the front and a scan of the cover of my copy of The Flash 106 on the back:

21-08-201182425PM.jpg

I have a total of seven(?) custom T-shirts with imagery from my collections including this one for Sea Devils 2:

Seadevils2.jpg

Just make sure you don't give away or even lend the resultant T-shirt to anybody else. That would constitute distribution of reproduced copyrighted material which is a felony under the law.

DC had this wide array of titles and genre's back in the 60's. I barely remember the Sea Devils, but I always assumed it was at least in part inspired by some of the popular TV shows of the time period like Sea Hunt (1959-1961) starring Lloyd Bridges. I was surprised to find there have been at least 3 movies my the same name from 1937, 1953 and 1998. The 1953 movie had Yvonne De Carlo with Rock Hudson. Yvonne later went on to become known to us in the 60's as Lily Munster.

sea devils film 2_edited.jpg

lily munster_edited.jpg

sea hunt_edited.jpg

On 1/6/2021 at 1:23 AM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Shown it before but as we are doing 105s (and why not !!!!)  this was the cover they did not use. This is the second story ..and I think that cover was only ever printed in Australia. Very, very hard to find.

Flash 105b.jpg

Was this an unused DC done cover by Carmine Infantino or was it a cover done by an Australian artist for this Australian publication?

23 hours ago, Hepcat said:

21-08-201182425PM.jpg

Seadevils2.jpg

I may just have to do that! Thanks for the idea!(thumbsuThese are cool!!!

On 1/6/2021 at 12:23 AM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Shown it before but as we are doing 105s (and why not !!!!)  this was the cover they did not use. This is the second story ..and I think that cover was only ever printed in Australia. Very, very hard to find.

Flash 105b.jpg

Love those covers from the land of Oz!!! Thanks as always for sharing Terry!!!

On 1/8/2021 at 3:53 PM, pemart1966 said:

Was this an unused DC done cover by Carmine Infantino or was it a cover done by an Australian artist for this Australian publication?

There are no records of who did any art on these and  SC22 had some changes to accommodate cover text..There is also a SC8 that is also quite different. The SC8 and Flash 105 are both for backup stories in those issues. As they had available cover art for Tomahawk (the publisher loved it, maybe because Davey Crocket had been big on our TV a few years before, and Wonder Woman, - the issue contained many stories, I just cannot think the publisher would have tried to convince any local artist to try their hand, or been willing top cut in top profits by paying for it. The other two things are the future background scape. The tilt of the horizon and the shape of that skyline are classic in Infantino. The alternate SC8 attached.

aSC8b.JPG

51 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

There are no records of who did any art on these and  SC22 had some changes to accommodate cover text..There is also a SC8 that is also quite different. The SC8 and Flash 105 are both for backup stories in those issues. As they had available cover art for Tomahawk (the publisher loved it, maybe because Davey Crocket had been big on our TV a few years before, and Wonder Woman, - the issue contained many stories, I just cannot think the publisher would have tried to convince any local artist to try their hand, or been willing top cut in top profits by paying for it. The other two things are the future background scape. The tilt of the horizon and the shape of that skyline are classic in Infantino. The alternate SC8 attached.

aSC8b.JPG

OK - just did some archival work.  This image is the splash page for the first story in Showcase #8.  It's not quite identical though - at least not to the Flash archives it isn't.  

A few examples:  in the Flash Archives, the building on the left is not seen; the rope attached to the building is further over to the left; the buildings at the bottom are not the in the same configuration.

The image that I originally inquired about is taken from a panel in Flash #105.  In the Archives, some differences include:  the alien has more dialogue; Flash's arms are raised; the entire glass tube with the Flash in it has a green hue; and the piping going into the tube is a bit different.  

It could be that the Archives are not true to the original comics or that some changes were made on the Australian end.  I'm not sure why the Australian versions didn't use the US covers unless images of the US covers were not part of the reprint material sent or authorized for use. 

Edited by pemart1966

On 1/8/2021 at 10:15 AM, Hepcat said:

Speaking of Flash artists, I didn't much like Irv Novick's artwork on Capt. Storm

CaptStorm2.jpg

CaptStorm4.jpg

But I really liked his artwork in The Flash when he took over as the regular artist with issue #200 in 1970. Here for example are a few panels:

Flash_2(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fi

flash222_01_zps1e059a02.jpg

Flash118_zps3c801fab.jpg

Flash(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Flash5_zps56ec4149.jpg

:cool:

Irv drew Flash for many years and did a fine job in my opinion. Together with Carey Bates they may have done nearly as many issues together as Carmine and John did?

11 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

This image is the splash page for the first story in Showcase #8.  It's not quite identical though - at least not to the Flash archives it isn't.  

A few examples:  in the Flash Archives, the building on the left is not seen; the rope attached to the building is further over to the left; the buildings at the bottom are not the in the same configuration.

Image comparisons:

Showcase 8 splash page:

Showcase 8 Page 3

Australian cover:

aSC8b.JPG

Edited by DanCooper

1 hour ago, DanCooper said:

Image comparisons:

Showcase 8 splash page:

Showcase 8 Page 3

Australian cover:

aSC8b.JPG

Thanks for posting that Dan.  

The Archives is then pretty true to the original publication and reinforces the differences between the North American original publication and this Australian compilation.

I'm sure that if one looked hard enough that they could spot even more differences between the two images beyond the few examples that I listed.

Edited by pemart1966

On 1/12/2021 at 12:58 PM, pemart1966 said:

It could be that the Archives are not true to the original comics or that some changes were made on the Australian end.  I'm not sure why the Australian versions didn't use the US covers unless images of the US covers were not part of the reprint material sent or authorized for use. 

The archives are true to the comics. In Australia when they printed these local editions, if the Flash issue like 105 or SC8 had two stories then both were sometimes printed in different issues. In this late 50s period new Super Hero (not Batman Supes or WW) stuff was very hard to find, nearly non existent, and these issues came out spanning several years so they used everything they could find.I am guessing Julie had both covers drawn and then chose the one to run with in the US, and as they were available they were then sent to OZ. We have the MM cover for 105 as well, (on my wish list) and also the SC8, which is you look is also slightly different although I have no idea why.

aSC8a.JPG

007 (2).jpg