• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,838 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2021 at 8:11 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

The archives are true to the comics. In Australia when they printed these local editions, if the Flash issue like 105 or SC8 had two stories then both were sometimes printed in different issues. In this late 50s period new Super Hero (not Batman Supes or WW) stuff was very hard to find, nearly non existent, and these issues came out spanning several years so they used everything they could find.I am guessing Julie had both covers drawn and then chose the one to run with in the US, and as they were available they were then sent to OZ. We have the MM cover for 105 as well, (on my wish list) and also the SC8, which is you look is also slightly different although I have no idea why.

aSC8a.JPG

007 (2).jpg

This is one of the nicest Showcase 8s that I've seen.  A very tough book to find in higher grade.

I don't think that DC had anything to do with these Australian editions save sending some Australian publishing house a bunch of stats after them having paid DC for the rights to print and distribute.  Julie wouldn't have paid to have different covers drawn up.  Additionally, there's no DC logo on any of these covers.

If DC was directly involved, I would have expected to have seen a scenario like the UK one whereby comics were either printed up with the the UK pence price (in the Marvel scenario) or just printed with the North American price and then just stamped by the distributor (DC)...as well as affixing their logo on the cover.  

The comparatively small population of Australia in the late 50s/early 60s probably factored into DC's decision not to go either of the above routes - less hassle and expense to just turn over the raw product and let the Australian's do the rest.  Just a guess on my part though...

Edited by pemart1966

13 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

The archives are true to the comics. In Australia when they printed these local editions, if the Flash issue like 105 or SC8 had two stories then both were sometimes printed in different issues. In this late 50s period new Super Hero (not Batman Supes or WW) stuff was very hard to find, nearly non existent, and these issues came out spanning several years so they used everything they could find.I am guessing Julie had both covers drawn and then chose the one to run with in the US, and as they were available they were then sent to OZ. We have the MM cover for 105 as well, (on my wish list) and also the SC8, which is you look is also slightly different although I have no idea why.

aSC8a.JPG

007 (2).jpg

Amazing Terry! I don't think you've ever shared the OZ SC8 with us before!!! I love the OZ editions! Its great that they are different it makes them all the more unique!

On 1/15/2021 at 1:24 PM, pemart1966 said:

This is one of the nicest Showcase 8s that I've seen.  A very tough book to find in higher grade.

I don't think that DC had anything to do with these Australian editions save sending some Australian publishing house a bunch of stats after them having paid DC for the rights to print and distribute.  Julie wouldn't have paid to have different covers drawn up.  Additionally, there's no DC logo on any of these covers.

If DC was directly involved, I would have expected to have seen a scenario like the UK one whereby comics were either printed up with the the UK pence price (in the Marvel scenario) or just printed with the North American price and then just stamped by the distributor (DC)...as well as affixing their logo on the cover.  

The comparatively small population of Australia in the late 50s/early 60s probably factored into DC's decision not to go either of the above routes - less hassle and expense to just turn over the raw product and let the Australian's do the rest.  Just a guess on my part though...

DC entered into a contract, for distribution locally covering what they would offer for printing here. I have a local Batman 121 in around 9.2. I don't think these covers were done for Australia, but do think they were done as alternate covers for Julie to choose from. I collect art and I have several covers that were never published including two from this year. Much more common than people realize. The one in color was in solicitations, while the inks version is what was distributed. Rafa had not read the full story when he did the art - and he made the same mistake again a few issues later. Happens when covers are done first so they can get it out for solicitations to get LCS's to commit to orders. And these are two separate covers not one cover redone or done over.

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

Flash-756.jpg

On 1/15/2021 at 1:24 PM, pemart1966 said:

thank you - at the time I think I was coughing up blood when Harley agreed to sell it but don't regret it. Cold is the focus of my collecting.

16 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

DC entered into a contract, for distribution locally covering what they would offer for printing here. I have a local Batman 121 in around 9.2. I don't think these covers were done for Australia, but do think they were done as alternate covers for Julie to choose from. I collect art and I have several covers that were never published including two from this year. Much more common than people realize. The one in color was in solicitations, while the inks version is what was distributed. Rafa had not read the full story when he did the art - and he made the same mistake again a few issues later. Happens when covers are done first so they can get it out for solicitations to get LCS's to commit to orders. And these are two separate covers not one cover redone or done over.

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

Flash-756.jpg

I don't think that we can compare the situation back in the 60s with one today but I get your point.

Yes, there are instances of unused Silver Age covers surfacing but I would submit that the scenario of doing two covers per issue was few and far between.  Multiple covers would have been done in only the most extenuating of circumstances.  

Before commissioning a second cover, stats and paste ups applied to the original cover would be no doubt have been considered first.  A second cover would have been a last resort given the cost and the extremely tight deadlines.

6 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

I don't think that we can compare the situation back in the 60s with one today but I get your point.

Yes, there are instances of unused Silver Age covers surfacing but I would submit that the scenario of doing two covers per issue was few and far between.  Multiple covers would have been done in only the most extenuating of circumstances.  

Before commissioning a second cover, stats and paste ups applied to the original cover would be no doubt have been considered first.  A second cover would have been a last resort given the cost and the extremely tight deadlines.

I agree, but maybe this reflects the amount of effort that Julie was putting into getting his new SA up and running. The time he had to play with was also never to be repeated as it was 3 years (??) from SC4 to Flash 105, covering just 5 issues.

2 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I agree, but maybe this reflects the amount of effort that Julie was putting into getting his new SA up and running. The time he had to play with was also never to be repeated as it was 3 years (??) from SC4 to Flash 105, covering just 5 issues.

Don't forget that at that time, DC was producing many more titles beyond Showcase and Flash.  They all had to be written, drawn, edited etc etc

On a side collecting note back in 1988 when I had to let my first 106 go and sold it at the local comic shop (for less than 50% of book value:pullhair:) I knew that there was a real chance that I would never again own this scarce comic. But today I am so proud to have this one!!! It's in rough shape but at least it has a cover, and with my budget restraints a coverless copy, if I could find one was a real possibility for me if I was going to complete this collection. As I've said before I kinda run a boarding house for wayward and abused Flash Comics. So glad this 106 finally found its way to a nice Flashy home. :banana::banana: Certainly worthy the very rare double dancing bananas! :roflmao: 

2 hours ago, flashlites said:

As I've said before I kinda run a boarding house for wayward and abused Flash Comics. So glad this 106 finally found its way to a nice Flashy home. :banana::banana: Certainly worthy the very rare double dancing bananas! :roflmao: 

As I may have said before it has been a lot of fund following you on your quest. Have you say down and read it yet ?? 

22 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

As I may have said before it has been a lot of fund following you on your quest. Have you say down and read it yet ?? 

I will tonight - its a little fragile as the cover may or may not be hanging on by a thread - but when I was ever so gingerly flipping through it and grading it and giving it a nice new Mylar sleeve, I was inspired by the story again. I am a huge Grodd fan and I love how Broome combined all those elements to create that villain. Sci-Fi, jungle/adventure, superhero, crime, telepathy. I will probably read it again tonight in my omnibus! 

Edited by flashlites
correction

Why don't we all do a show and tell of 106? Share a photo of your 106. I read it last night and it brought back memories. I loved how Solovar promised Flash at the end that Grodd will not be able to escape. But of course he does in 107 doh! and he's been getting out ever since for the last 60 years! 

Edited by flashlites

10 hours ago, flashlites said:

Why don't we all do a show and tell of 106? Share a photo of your 106. I read it last night and it brought back memories. I loved how Solovar promised Flash at the end that Grodd will not be able to escape. But of course he does in 107 doh! and he's been getting out ever since for the last 60 years! 

I wonder whether Grodd and Solovar are working together... hm    After 60 years it might be time to look into that Barry...

Edited by pemart1966

31 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

This is my second CGC a 105 3.0 was my first. My early buying in 2015 was like this. (My original run all bought back int he 1980s started at 108). After seeing Barry Allen on arrow and seeing the Flash series I went back into something I swore I would never go again. Collecting.

I found Mycomic shop (had bought all my Pain killer Jane's several years before) and saw a 105 CGC 5.5 for $2,550. I told my dear wife one morning that the first Flash in the series was 25/50 at a dealer. She sweetly said, "darling you should go ahead and buy it" , I sort of realized the mistake so said two thousand give hundred and 50 dollars. I should have just run with "yes go ahead" and worried about miscommunication later.

Thankfully the business had one huge last gasp before I close it down this year.

DSC05007.JPG

Very nice copy Terry!!! So very hard to see this book in the higher grades! My original 106 would have probably graded 4.5-5.0 (VG-VG+) as I sold it long before the 10 point grading system.

On 1/24/2021 at 3:21 PM, flashlites said:

Very nice copy Terry!!! So very hard to see this book in the higher grades! My original 106 would have probably graded 4.5-5.0 (VG-VG+) as I sold it long before the 10 point grading system.

I have been haunting Heritage, Comic Link, regularly checking Comic Connect for nearly 5 years and have seen maybe one book over 7.0. I would hate to see the madness if something over 8.0 ever hits the market through those mediums.