• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I have been haunting Heritage, Comic Link, regularly checking Comic Connect for nearly 5 years and have seen maybe one book over 7.0. I would hate to see the madness if something over 8.0 ever hits the market through those mediums.

:insane: I think there's a 9.4 in the census but that's about it just 350 or so in the whole census!? I would venture to say that there may be less than 1500 copies total, more likely 1000 or less that have survived to the present day! It's listed as scarce in the guide, scarce is defined as 50-100 copies (in the guide). But I think OPG my need to redefine those definitions as they were created back in the 70's and 80's and over time more copies have come into the market, still the market has also grown along with it. This has kept the availability and demand at roughly the same level, still scarce in my opinion, 1000 copies to circulate in a market that has grown 10 fold in the last 30 years. What do you guys think? 

Edited by flashlites

4 minutes ago, Chief1332 said:

Did my best to cover the "other guys" info.  Allowed??

Bigs and I ran into a couple of good ones.  They all made their way to new homes.  One here on the boards.

flash audit.jpg

Very nice little collection there!!!! Love, love, love that cover of 116!!! Such a great story in that one, the more Sci-Fi in Flash the better for me :)  8.5 on that 106??!!! Amazing! And look at that beautiful purple color on that 108! Thanks for sharing! :cloud9:

40 minutes ago, flashlites said:

Very nice little collection there!!!! Love, love, love that cover of 116!!! Such a great story in that one, the more Sci-Fi in Flash the better for me :)  8.5 on that 106??!!! Amazing! And look at that beautiful purple color on that 108! Thanks for sharing! :cloud9:

Thank you.  I don't think Bigs shared a group shot.  He said that he had not seen a nicer SA Flash book than the 116.  108 and 116 each received a bump in grade after this pic was taken.

1 hour ago, frozentundraguy said:

The talk about 106 got me thinking. I foolishly sold my copy of 116 about 4 or 5 years back. :makepoint:  I still have a scan of it though.

FLASH_116F.jpg

Very nice! Love this book! (as I said before :cloud9:) I will have to get a better copy after I complete the run as mine has a huge chunk out of the cover. :pullhair:

20 minutes ago, flashlites said:

Here it is Flash fans! #112 is in!!!

image.png.8a1bdd81f4c1ab6b2ac88bf11c009cfe.png

A bit of comic collecting nostalgia, when I was about 12 or so and first started my hunt for back issues of Flash back in the mid 70's, one of the few places to look in Albuquerque was Don's Paperback Book Exchange. It was always special when I had a chance to go there. One day behind the counter I spied a Flash 107 hanging high up on a clothes line by a clothes pin. (as books stores did in those days). I was excited and asked to see it. I believe Don told me it was 10 or 15 dollars (a huge sum for me). What ever the price was it was too steep for me that day so I went digging through the bins. Rummaging through the bins I came across my first copy of Flash 112 affordably priced at about 5$ or so, and brought it home that day. I may or may not have had a copy in my 90's collection I can remember. But I'm so very glad to have this one! Now on to 110, 111 and 117, the last remaining issues I need to complete the run!

Thanks for sharing. (thumbsu That's a long time to wait to reconnect with an issue. Nice to see you tracked one down, and it displays better than it's grade. :headbang:

15 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

Thanks for sharing. (thumbsu That's a long time to wait to reconnect with an issue. Nice to see you tracked one down, and it displays better than it's grade. :headbang:

It's probably a 1.8 maybe a 2.0 but it has offsetting attributes and defects. It's cover is detached but its centerfold is secure. It has a severe roll, but it's paper quality is a supple off-white/cream throughout, book length crease and staple tears but it has a fair amount of its original cover gloss. 

Edited by flashlites

12 hours ago, flashlites said:

What's with 117 these days!!?? My updated OPG published Dec 2020 (post COVID edition) says a 117 @ 4.0 $102. But I am seeing raw copies in that grade selling for about $300-400 right now?! 

Here's a CGC 5.0 #117 selling for $325.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flash-117-Origin-and-1st-Appearance-of-Captain-Boomerang-1960-CGC-5-0-VG-FN/373374290931?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

image.png.59620bdaf782dc27180c3ded78895b92.png

Just because I love this cover! And because there hasn't been a whole lot of chatter recently. Got keep the Flash thread grooving! This may be my all time favorite Flash cover (for now anyway). How about you guys? What's your favorite Flash cover? (Sniped from DCU site, I wish my copy looked this good :insane:)

23 minutes ago, flashlites said:

image.png.59620bdaf782dc27180c3ded78895b92.png

Just because I love this cover! And because there hasn't been a whole lot of chatter recently. Got keep the Flash thread grooving! This may be my all time favorite Flash cover (for now anyway). How about you guys? What's your favorite Flash cover? (Sniped from DCU site, I wish my copy looked this good :insane:)

I will check and post a book or two tomorrow. It's a tough call as there are so many great covers. (thumbsu