• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
23 23

4,845 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Maybe not.  People are so focused on Silver age Marvel that you might still be able to get some DC stuff on the cheaper side (With the exception of the keys of course).  Isn’t Showcase #4 around the same price as Amazing Fantasy #15?  I haven’t checked in awhile because I can’t afford either.

AF 15 is every Marvel fans dream and of course dealers grab it when they can. The numbers from memory are over 2,000 but demand stays high kicked off again by him now being an Avenger in the movies. Many marvel fans are just that. Marvel fans, not comic fans and are unaware how much rarer (around 500) and SC4 is just as significant  or arguably more significant.  When Stan was happily churning out giant monster comics with monsters named Boom, Thoom, Goom, Choon, etc. DC reinvented super heroes. I think SC4 is less than AF15 in $$$ but more than FF1, which should actually be the Marvel holy grail. That book proved to Marvels publisher that super heroes were the way to go. There is even a story about the two publishers playing golf one day and the DC publisher telling the marvel guy how well JLA was doing. Story is he went back to Stan and told him to give it a try .. "what ... you think Stan ever had an original idea "( :roflmao:)

50 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

AF 15 is every Marvel fans dream and of course dealers grab it when they can. The numbers from memory are over 2,000 but demand stays high kicked off again by him now being an Avenger in the movies. Many marvel fans are just that. Marvel fans, not comic fans and are unaware how much rarer (around 500) and SC4 is just as significant  or arguably more significant.  When Stan was happily churning out giant monster comics with monsters named Boom, Thoom, Goom, Choon, etc. DC reinvented super heroes. I think SC4 is less than AF15 in $$$ but more than FF1, which should actually be the Marvel holy grail. That book proved to Marvels publisher that super heroes were the way to go. There is even a story about the two publishers playing golf one day and the DC publisher telling the marvel guy how well JLA was doing. Story is he went back to Stan and told him to give it a try .. "what ... you think Stan ever had an original idea "( :roflmao:)

It's all true! I have a Stan interview with him describing that very golf encounter with I believe Goodman from Atlas/Marvel and Schwartz DC. They were happy doing romance, westerns and monsters until the Flash, Green Lantern and the Justice League took off. It's high time Marvel fans admit the truth without the Flash reinvention, comics as we know it would have died out and Stan would have moved on--remember he always said he was ready to quit at that point (1960-61ish).

Geeze guys! We are already on 164!!! Time to get my trusty 164 out of the old Flash Vault (AKA long box) and scan it in! Just 10 more pages to go Terry! And I have finally caught up with current Flash reading 757 today! Quite the Rouges story for you Rouges fans out there! I highly recommend it!:banana:

Also don't forget the contest is about to begin!!! What will be the final issue for flashlites to get to complete the run 105-350!!?? There are 14 issues left for me to complete the run. If you can guess which one it will be there is a prize. Rules and details coming soon! Stay tuned Flash Fans!!! See page 162.

image.thumb.png.14034e0f97396c0a8956bb52c84d4396.png

The Flash 123 and Flash 1 from the 80's are reproductions, but how about that B&B Flash/Doom Patrol that's pure Silver Age Sweetness! I will add more to the pile, I just have to dig through a few boxes. And I'm throwing in a 25$ gift card!

7 minutes ago, flashlites said:

Also don't forget the contest is about to begin!!! What will be the final issue for flashlites to get to complete the run 105-350!!?? There are 14 issues left for me to complete the run. If you can guess which one it will be there is a prize. Rules and details coming soon! Stay tuned Flash Fans!!! See page 162.

image.thumb.png.14034e0f97396c0a8956bb52c84d4396.png

The Flash 123 and Flash 1 from the 80's are reproductions, but how about that B&B Flash/Doom Patrol that's pure Silver Age Sweetness! I will add more to the pile, I just have to dig through a few boxes. And I'm throwing in a 25$ gift card!

Not including SC I am still going for 106. I am betting by then you will hold out for something that does not look like a poor reader.

1 hour ago, flashlites said:

And I have finally caught up with current Flash reading 757 today! Quite the Rouges story for you Rouges fans out there! I highly recommend it!:banana:

My local comic shop (about and hour away - sigh) sent me my invoice - 757 is now in the box waiting for me. Hope to update that tomorrow. I am a big fan of Rafa's art.

11 hours ago, flashlites said:

It's all true! I have a Stan interview with him describing that very golf encounter with I believe Goodman from Atlas/Marvel and Schwartz DC. They were happy doing romance, westerns and monsters until the Flash, Green Lantern and the Justice League took off. It's high time Marvel fans admit the truth without the Flash reinvention, comics as we know it would have died out and Stan would have moved on--remember he always said he was ready to quit at that point (1960-61ish).

The golf story, some claim, is apocryphal, but anyway Julius Schwartz was never claimed to be involved -- from DC, it was either Irwin Donenfeld or Jack Leibowitz.  And both apparently at some point claimed they actually didn't play golf with Martin Goodman.

3 hours ago, EC Star&Bar said:

The golf story, some claim, is apocryphal, but anyway Julius Schwartz was never claimed to be involved -- from DC, it was either Irwin Donenfeld or Jack Leibowitz.  And both apparently at some point claimed they actually didn't play golf with Martin Goodman.

Stan tells it so convincingly. Maybe it was Carmine? Who knows, but after that everything sure started to change at Marvel.

7 hours ago, flashlites said:

Stan tells it so convincingly. Maybe it was Carmine? Who knows, but after that everything sure started to change at Marvel.

It took quite a while. SC4 is way back in 1956,SC22 Green Lantern was 1959, Flash 105 is 1959 JLA is shortly after, and FF is .. what 1962 or 1961.  Even MLJ - Archie had started to follow super-hero books with the Fly and a revamp of the Shield, "something Strong", from memory. Even think Kirby might have been on those books. Not denying how pivotal FF and ASM are but it took a long time before Marvel bit the bullet. Stan's gift was to aim it at a demographic slightly higher and kind of tie romance in with super-hero and aim it squarely at teens. DC could not really work out their market, and each editor seemed to have a different opinion as to what that market was.

My first 164 before we run out of page room. When we get past 174 I am going to start debating the best Flash artists, as I think the Silver Age may be drawing to a close right now. I have no idea what is happening after 101, and who is taking over but the way it is shaping I am starting to think Wally West may take over for a while. Originally with Williamson's run I was fluctuating from fan boy joy, with such specials as the crossover with Batman, Captain Cold stealing from inside Iron Heights, others not quite so, although good. The Turtle revamp was a major surprise and I hope a  villain to stay, and then the 'redemption of Jesse as the Trickster, and it has just kept building from there. I would not want to take over as the writer after this. Will be very hard to top.

DSC05971.JPG

DSC05972.JPG

20 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

I am starting to think Wally West may take over for a while. Originally with Williamson's run I was fluctuating from fan boy joy, with such specials as the crossover with Batman, Captain Cold stealing from inside Iron Heights, others not quite so, although good. The Turtle revamp was a major surprise and I hope a  villain to stay, and then the 'redemption of Jesse as the Trickster, and it has just kept building from there. I would not want to take over as the writer after this. Will be very hard to top.

or I could be completely wrong - but Dr. A after all these years - Oh yes can't wait

https://www.gamesradar.com/au/dc-reveals-new-creative-team-for-the-flash-and-a-last-page-cliffhanger-no-reader-will-see-coming/

After rechecking the old list: Its down to just 15 now: 106,110,111,112,117,135,174,267,275,278,280,281,282,342,343.

The only books i'm buying in the next month or so are ones I've promised to buy and have already checked off the list.

Edited by flashlites

of the SA books 174 is easy to find hang out for a good one, and 111 shoudl not break the bank. Dealers may think it is hotter than it really is. One of those first thirty appearances with no Rouge in them. I could never find a great 135 either .. sigh. Maybe put aside some money and just wait. If it is burning a hole in your pocket maybe go to Mycomic shop and fill in some bronze gaps.

Here's a question for all you Flash Masters out there...Sometime ago maybe about 10 issues back and I cant remember which issue it was, but inside, National Periodicals ran about a 1/4 page ad with all the circulation #'s for Flash. Kind of like a PSA or something. It was fascinating and I meant to go back over it and really soak it in and maybe share it here. I know I set it aside for a bit but I kind of forgot about it until now -  this last week with all these new issues coming in I ended up putting everything back and in order as I double checked my list of missing issues. And now I cant recall which issue it was.

2 hours ago, flashlites said:

And now I cant recall which issue it was.

Owch, know the feeling - don't know why we sometimes get confused or can't find stuff we know is there .. "I know I saw it only a couple of months ago. Now which box is it in ??"

11 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

It took quite a while. SC4 is way back in 1956,SC22 Green Lantern was 1959, Flash 105 is 1959 JLA is shortly after, and FF is .. what 1962 or 1961.  Even MLJ - Archie had started to follow super-hero books with the Fly and a revamp of the Shield, "something Strong", from memory. Even think Kirby might have been on those books. Not denying how pivotal FF and ASM are but it took a long time before Marvel bit the bullet. Stan's gift was to aim it at a demographic slightly higher and kind of tie romance in with super-hero and aim it squarely at teens. DC could not really work out their market, and each editor seemed to have a different opinion as to what that market was.

You're thinking of The Double Life of Private Strong, which ran for 2 issues in 1959.  By Simon & Kirby, with more hands involved in the second issue.  Also, the first couple of issues of Archie's Jaguar title pre-dated FF #1.

19 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Owch, know the feeling - don't know why we sometimes get confused or can't find stuff we know is there .. "I know I saw it only a couple of months ago. Now which box is it in ??"

Same here. hm I cannot locate my rather beat up copy of GL #4 I traded a bronze age book for it a few years ago.  I was looking ahead a few issues and found a solid mid grade Flash #166 and hit the buy button yesterday. :wishluck:

My missing GL#4.

scan0755.jpg